Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

A view of Torit County Headquarters in Eastern Equatoria State. [Photo: Courtesy]

TORIT – At least 10 soldiers of the South Sudan People’s Defence Forces (SSPDF) were killed during a coordinated dawn attack on military bases in Torit, the capital of Eastern Equatoria State, according to a joint statement issued Tuesday by the Sudan People’s Liberation Army-In Opposition (SPLA-IO) and the National Salvation Front (NAS). 

 

The two opposition groups said their fighters launched a “precision operation” targeting the SSPDF’s Division Seven headquarters (Giyada), government forces stationed in Gumbo, and a checkpoint along the Torit–Juba road. The joint command claimed the attack resulted in 10 SSPDF fatalities and “a significant number” of wounded government troops.

“This morning, the Joint Forces of NAS and SPLA-IO executed a successful military operation against the SSPDF in Torit,” the groups said in a statement signed by SPLA-IO Spokesperson Col. Lam Paul Gabriel and NAS Spokesperson Lt. Col. Kenyi Mogga Lomeling.

They described the assault as their second coordinated operation in Eastern Equatoria, following a previous offensive in Kapoeta South.

 

But the government has painted a different picture of the events. Earlier on Tuesday, Eastern Equatoria State Governor Louis Lobong said the attack began around 5:00 AM when armed SPLA-IO fighters stormed Torit and targeted the Torit Military Hospital.

He reported a separate assault launched from Enyif in which assailants opened fire on the vehicle of the Torit County Commissioner, killing a police captain. Lobong linked the incidents to a series of what he called “continued hostilities” by SPLA-IO forces across the state.

The Governor also attributed a November 17 ambush on a passenger vehicle travelling from Kapoeta to Napotpot—where one civilian was injured—to SPLA-IO elements.

 

The rebel groups flatly denied the governor’s assertions, insisting they do not target civilians and that the Torit raid was strictly directed at military installations.

“Contrary to his statement, there have been no attacks targeting civilians in Eastern Equatoria by either NAS or SPLA-IO,” the opposition forces said, accusing SSPDF troops, instead, of harassing farmers and businesswomen transporting goods to Juba.

They said those abuses, allegedly driven by hunger and indiscipline among the national army, undermine the government’s own claims of maintaining peace and stability.

The joint forces said they remain committed to “protecting the people of Eastern Equatoria” while defending themselves from what they called government aggression.

The latest escalation adds to a tense security environment in Eastern Equatoria, where accusations and counter-accusations between government and opposition forces have persisted despite ongoing peace arrangements. Sudans Post

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

4 killed, 10 injured in shooting at California banquet hall during family gathering

4 killed, 10 injured...

ANKARA At least four people were killed and 10 others wounded in a shooting at a banquet hall in a c...

EAC rivalry imperils...

The Kenya–EU EPA grants Kenyan goods duty-free access to the European market. In Summary A recent c...

Opposition to challenge Mbeere North, Malava by-election results in court

Opposition to challe...

AI-generated image of a young African woman looking at her phone in a dark-lit room. Photo/ Gemini...

G20 summit lauded for amplifying African voice

G20 summit lauded fo...

Following the G20 Leaders’ Summit, South Africa on Tuesday handed over the presidency to the United...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.