Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

Senate Standing Orders require 15 Senators to be in the chamber or attend virtual

Senators are now demanding the impeachment of Public Service Cabinet Secretary Moses Kuria over his disparaging remarks on the house on the ouster proceedings of Meru Governor Kawira Mwangaza.

On a point of order, Senate Majority Leader Aaron Cheruyoit castigated CS Kuria calling for his sacking saying his conduct has been embarrassment to the appointment authority.

Senators were expressing disappointment concerning CS Kuria statement on the X platform formerly known as twitter poking holes on the evidence and charges tabled against Governor Mwangaza saying they don’t warrant impeachment.

“That tweet was in bad taste. It paints senators as two people who have no cognitive abilities to make interpretation of the matters that are before us and make a sober decision,” Cheruyoit stated.

“Mr. Speaker, it’s the earliest chance that CS Kuria is laid off his duty, the better for this administration, Mr. Speaker because every single day, in every action that he undertakes, he continues to embarrass the president and the people,” he said.

Homabay Senator Moses Kajwang implored the leadership of the House to commence the proceeding of censuring the Cabinet Secretary in the National Assembly which has the mandate to undertake the process.

“I will speak I want to urge the members of the other house because they’re the ones who have the responsibility of censoring and sending home cabinet secretaries to take serious judicial notice of the conduct of this particular cabinet secretary and this house through the relevant committee can come up with resolutions that can then be used to move the other house to discuss his conduct and to have intention,” Kajwang noted.

Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna who has previously questioned the appointment of CS Kuria to the Cabinet termed the embattled Cabinet Secretary as a national shame.

“Speaker, one of the things that I asked myself is just how much embarrassment does the President have capacity to endure?” he posed.

“Honestly speaking, action must be taken. I am actually made aware by the members of this House who represent us in the PSC that Moses Kuria ran away with money belonging to Parliament, he should actually be brought to answer questions about those things,” Sifuna added.

Meru Senator Murungi Kathuri urged President William Ruto to relieve CS Kuria off his duties saying he is a shame to the Kenya Kwanza Alliance administration warning him to keep off Meru politics.

“CS Kuria is an embarrassment to the people who voted for the Kenya Kwanza government and should be relived his duties immediately. The President should take notice on the comments we are making and CS Kuria should stay away from Meru politics,” Kathuri said.

Yesterday night, Senate Speaker Amason Kingi had warned CS Kuria over his comments on the proceedings in the Senate on the impeachment of Meru Governor.
Kingi cautioned the Cabinet Secretary against making any further comments on the impeachment, failure to which he will be summoned.

“I, therefore, caution Moses Kuria, Cabinet Secretary in the Ministry of Public Service, Performance and Delivery Management, and all other persons to desist from adversely making utterances whether written or spoken with the conduct of the impeachment process which may prejudice the just and fair disposal of the present matter,” Kingi said.

CS Kuria ignored the caution and instead mentioned a list of Senators in what has been misconstrued as involvement on the house business.

He mentioned Senators; Aaron Cheruiyot (Kericho), Jackson Mandago( Uasin Gishu), Hillary Sigei(Bomet), Alex Mundigi(Embu), Samson Cherargei( Nandi), Lenku Seki(Kajiado), Fatuma Dullo(Isiolo),Abdullahi Haji(Garissa), Kamau Murango(Kirinyaga), Wahome Wamatinga(Nyeri), Kathuri Murungi(Meru), Enoch Wambua(Kitui) and Moses Kajwang(Homa Bay) on X. By Irene Mwangi, Capital News

 

NAIROBI, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) -- Kenya's agricultural regulator on Tuesday announced new measures to tighten controls on the export of mangoes in a bid to curb illegal shipments.

The regulations, which include mandatory physical inspection of shipments, are intended to prevent exporters from mixing mangoes with other fruits, a practice that emerged following the suspension of avocado exports on Oct. 31, the Agriculture and Food Authority (AFA), a government corporation established to develop, regulate and promote scheduled crops, said in a statement published by local media on Tuesday.

"All mango exporters, with effect from Nov. 13, are required to apply for physical inspection of their consignments at their packing houses," AFA Director-General Willis Audi said.

Audi added that the AFA took the step after noticing that some exporters were mixing shipments of mangoes and avocados in order to circumvent a temporary ban on the export of the latter to stop the shipment of unripe fruits.

Mangoes are Kenya's second most important fruit export after avocados. Kenya exports fresh and processed mangoes mainly to the Middle East, China and European Union countries such as the Netherlands and Britain. - Xinhua

The relationship between alcohol and mental health among UK minority ethnic groups is explored in a joint report from Lancaster University, King's College London, the University of Liverpool and Edge Hill University.

The research shows the association between alcohol use and mental health differs across minority ethnic groups, and provides insight into people's reasons for drinking and the treatment that they have received.

Principal investigator Dr Laura Goodwin from Lancaster University said: "Our research has shown that different ethnic backgrounds can use alcohol to cope with their mental health. This work has highlighted the need for better integration of mental health and alcohol services and a specific need for tailored provision that is culturally appropriate for different ethnic groups.".

Previous research has established that both alcohol use and mental health problems can be stigmatised within some minority ethnic groups, which may be one reason why these groups are less likely to seek formal support. Researchers aimed to explore this across specific minority ethnic groups given that there are known cultural differences between groups.

The report used information from nationally representative studies and found that hazardous drinking was common among White British groups as well as some minority ethnic groups, and that poor mental health was associated with increased levels of alcohol use among some minority ethnic groups.

The team conducted interviews with adults with minority ethnic backgrounds living with a diagnosed mental health problem. The team found that there is a need for better understanding and recognition of mental health symptoms and problem drinking, and the interplay between drinking practices, help-seeking and support, and cultural frameworks.  

The team conducted further interviews with service providers, community mental health staff and minority ethnic service users to understand how alcohol use is identified and treated within mental health services. This identified several barriers preventing people being able to disclose alcohol use when presenting to mental health services, a lack of implementation of formal alcohol screening tools by mental health services, and the limited availability of a range of alcohol services targeted to or informed by the needs of minority ethnic service users.

The report includes several implications and recommendations, including a need to ensure better representation of minority ethnic groups within large UK datasets, a need for mental health and alcohol services to take a culturally appropriate preventative approach to enable better identification of problems and when to seek support, and more consistent screening of alcohol use, using formal tools within mental health services.

Post-doctoral research associate and Lecturer, Dr Jo-Anne Puddephatt, Lancaster University and Edge Hill University, said: "This project has provided actionable insight into the relationship between alcohol and mental health across minority ethnic groups, and how these can be used to inform the way in which minority ethnic groups are supported when experiencing alcohol and mental health problems."

Senior Research and Policy Manager at Alcohol Change UK, Mark Leyshon said: "It is unfortunately very common that alcohol and mental health problems go hand-in-hand, interacting in ways that can maintain or worsen each other. This new report has shown that people from minority ethnic groups with a mental health problem may need additional support around their alcohol use, and that both mental health and alcohol services must become more culturally literate to better serve this particular community".

The report was funded by Alcohol Change UK, under the New Horizon's programme.

You can read the full report here.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken visited the Middle East over the weekend (Amos Ben-Gershom/GPO)© Provided by The Independent

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has suspended a minister who suggested dropping a nuclear bomb on Gaza.

Heritage Minister Amihay Eliyahu, from a far-right party in the coalition government, was asked in an interview with Radio Kol Berama about a hypothetical nuclear option to which he replied: “That’s one way.” 

His remark drew swift condemnation from around the Arab world, scandalised mainstream Israeli broadcasters and was deemed “objectionable” by a U.S. official.

On Sunday, Netanyahu’s office issued a statement saying that the minister concerned - Heritage Minister Amihay Eliyahu, from a far-right party in the coalition government - had been suspended from cabinet meetings “until further notice”.

“Eliyahu’s statements are not based in reality. Israel and the IDF (military) are operating in accordance with the highest standards of international law to avoid harming innocents. We will continue to do so until our victory,” Netanyahu’s office said.

Neither Eliyahu or his party leader are in the streamlined ministerial forum running the Gaza war. Neither would they have inside knowledge of Israel’s nuclear capabilities - which it does not publicly acknowledge - or authority to activate them.

Eliyahu said in a social media post: “It is clear to anyone who is sensible that the nuclear remark was metaphorical.”

But he added: “A strong and disproportionate response to terrorism is definitely required, which will clarify to the Nazis and their supporters that terrorism is not worthwhile.”

Some 9,500 Palestinians have been killed in the war, stirring widening international concern over Israel’s tactics.

The crisis prompted another troubleshooting visit to the Middle East by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken over the weekend.

“Obviously that was an objectionable statement and the prime minister made very clear that he (Eliyahu) wasn’t speaking on behalf of the government,” a senior U.S. State Department official said.

The League of Arab States said in a statement: “The racist statements of Israeli Minister Eliyahu are revealing. Not only does he admit that they possess a nuclear weapon, but he also confirms the reality of the Israelis’ abhorrent racist view towards the Palestinian people.” By Athena Stavrou, The Independent 

Chronos Publishing having acquired the rights from Agent Fox Media, are delighted to announce that they have signed Stephen Gillen in a two-book deal. Stephen was one of the UK's most wanted London gang members and was incarcerated for 15 years as a Category A prisoner, having spent his jail time with some of the UK's most prolific criminals, including Charles Bronson with whom he remains in contact today. 

In this 'tell all' book, Stephen, 52, discusses the demons that have chased him from childhood, pushing him into crime and ultimately causing him to pay a terrible price. Stephen's autobiography details his life inside some of the UK's 'darkest and most dangerous' prisons and how a complete psychotic break finally helped him to see how his life could be better. 

Following his release in 2003, Stephen is determined to help others avoid going down a criminal path. Now a successful CEO, author and TV personality, his life story has been opted for screen and his upcoming projects include a TV series alongside the two-book deal with Chronos Publishing.  

Extraordinary. Stephen Gillen The Search For A Life Worth Living, will be released in Spring 2024. 

Stephen said

'It has been even traumatic at times to have delved back into the depth of my dark past, but the mission and message of how I survived at such a high level of constant danger and navigated a true transformation to true redemption and hope, needs to be told. There are many others who are destined to wrestle personal darkness but this destruction can be the most creative brightness. Life balances all things in the end, and it gives us not what we want – but what we become.

Showreel on Stephen Gillen VIEW HERE! 

Taryn Johnson Publishing Director of FCM Publishing said: 

'It's very rare to come across such a story of resilience, retribution, horror, and hope. Stephen has a life story that Guy Ritchie could only hope of imagining and yet he has  clawed his way back, and in doing so is now helping others. I hope that people reading this book will see that even those deemed unworthy of a second chance, have something to give and that the mind is ultimately the most powerful tool we have. 

I knew the moment I read the first draft that this was a story that had to be told, now with as-yet-untold chapters and a deeper look into the darkness. It's a bloody gripping read already and it's just going to be phenomenal when it comes out.'

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

U.S. Forces conduct strike against ISIS-Somalia

U.S. Forces conduct...

At the request of the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted a coll...

Renewed deadly RSF shelling strikes North Darfur camp

Renewed deadly RSF s...

Sudanese woman stands with her child who is being treated for malnutrition at a nutrition stabilisa...

TotalEnergies grows renewable capacity with new deals in Germany, Uganda, Canada

TotalEnergies grows...

BAKU, Azerbaijan, April 2. TotalEnergies has completed the acquisitions of VSB Group, a European win...

Church leads climate literacy campaign in schools and churches

Church leads climate...

Teachers and pastors undergoing a two day Ocean Climate Literacy session at a Malindi hotel in Kili...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.