Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

KIGALI, Rwanda

‘In electing me, the Senegalese people have chosen to break with the past,’ says Bassirou Diomaye Faye. Senegal’s President-elect Bassirou Diomaye Faye promised Senegalese on Monday that he will govern them with humility and ensure national reconciliation during his term in office.

Faye beat the candidate of the ruling coalition, Amadou Ba, by a clear margin after Sunday's tight presidential election, according to preliminary results.

In his first address to the media after the elections, Faye committed to fighting against corruption in the country “in order to give substance to the immense hope and aspirations of the people.”

“I am committed to govern with humility in transparency and to fight corruption. In electing me, the Senegalese people have chosen to break with the past,” he said.

Faye made a special mention of his political ally Ousmane Sonko, whose backing he owes much of his victory to, and hailed outgoing President Macky Sall for ensuring the smooth organization of the election.

Earlier on Monday, Sall joined other presidential contenders in recognizing Faye’s victory well before the proclamation of the final results.

"I salute the smooth running of the presidential election of March 24, 2024 and congratulate the winner, Mr. Bassirou Diomaye Faye, who the trends show as the winner. It is the victory of Senegalese democracy," Sall said on X.

The results showed Faye leading with nearly 58% of the vote against the 33% of his main rival, former Prime Minister Amadou Ba of the ruling coalition.

The West African nation's electoral body is expected to provide more detailed results on Tuesday as vote counting is still underway.

In a statement, Ba said that "in view of the trends in the results of the presidential election," he had called Faye "to congratulate him on his victory pending the official proclamation."

"I pray to the Almighty to grant him the energy and strength necessary to assume this high office at the head of our country," he said.

Ba had said on Sunday night that he was ready for a runoff vote in two weeks if he and none of the other candidates are able to secure the 50% threshold.

Faye, 44, became Ba's main competitor after opposition leader Ousmane Sonko, who enjoys wide support among young people, was barred from the race due to a defamation conviction.

Faye and Sonko, whose political party, called the Patriots of Senegal for Work, Ethics and Fraternity (PASTEF), was dissolved by the government last year, were released from prison under an amnesty law 10 days ahead of the election, after which they moved together on the campaign trail.

Faye was imprisoned following a post on his Facebook account criticizing the Senegalese justice system in connection with Sonko's case.

Nineteen candidates were running in the presidential race, including the only female candidate, Anta Babacar Ngom, but two dropped out to back Faye. Some 7.3 million Senegalese were eligible to vote in the election.

Senegal witnessed mass protests earlier this year after President Sall announced the postponement of the election originally scheduled on Feb. 25, citing a dispute over the candidate list and alleged corruption of constitutional judges.

The National Assembly then passed a bill postponing the vote until Dec. 15 as security forces stormed the building and removed some opposition lawmakers.

But the Senegalese Constitutional Council declared the law postponing the country's presidential vote to December "unconstitutional" and annulled his decree to delay the poll.

Sall announced the new poll date after the Constitutional Council ruled that it would be unconstitutional to hold the presidential election after April 2, the date marking the end of the current term of the president. By James Tasamba, Anadolu Agency

 

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki. PHOTO/@KindikiKithure/X

The government has shut down 18,650 liquor stores operating illegally, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki has revealed.

Also shut down are 14 distilleries operating illegally, with their equipment destroyed to avert further brewery of illicit alcohol.

Among the liquor joints shut down are 6,500 operating in unauthorised areas and 12,250 operating without licences.

"We have been able to shut down 6,500 premises which were operating with licences but contrary to the Alcoholic Drinks Control Act which is superior to the county laws by virtue of our constitution. Those licences have been revoked for violating national law. We have also shut down 12,150 premises across the country which were operating without licences from any authority," Kindiki stated. 

"We have also shut down as at this morning (Monday) 14 distilleries which were operating illegally in various parts of the country and we have also destroyed the infrastructure of those breweries to ensure that we destroy the production capability of manufacturing poisonous substances to the people of Kenya."

Kindiki spoke on Monday, March 25, 2024, after a County Security Appraisal meeting with the County Heads of Security agencies, whom he encouraged to upscale the war on illicit liquor, narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.

 

"The Government expects each public officer to be individually accountable in their delivery of services to the public. Security and law enforcement officials are expected to exhibit even greater accountability, given the sensitive role they play in securing our Country," Kindiki stated.

"The key priorities for security agencies in Narok County include violent land disputes (Nkararo and the Narok-Migori border), land-related fraud, defilement, robberies and muggings, especially in Narok Town."

War against illicit liquor

The government has recently intensified its crackdown against illicit liquor, which Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua spearheads. On Sunday, Gachagua visited the homestead of 85-year-old Mama Grace Wahu, a widow and mother of 11, who allegedly lost her seven sons to the killer illicit liquor.

"A mother of 11, lost her seven sons to the killer illicit liquor. The deep pain of burying her children as a result of this vice is a national shame. Mama Wahu's story is a clear demonstration of the danger we are facing. And this is the sad story almost everywhere, only that people are not giving personal accounts. The Government will not relent in the fight against killer brews. The William Samoei Ruto Administration will eradicate this menace. It is the right and most responsible thing to do," Gachagua stated. By Francis Muli, K24

Kenya has overtaken Nigeria as the country that got the highest private equity deals in Africa last year, according to a new report by DealMakers Africa. 

The report by the South African-based firm which tracks Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and corporate finance activity across the continent shows that Kenya and Nigeria which are the powerhouses of their regions recorded the most local deals with 95 ($600.3 million) and 82 ($493.1 million) respectively.

Further analysis revealed that both countries recorded a year-on-year decline in private equity deals. In 2022, Africa’s biggest economy attracted 135 deals while Kenya had 123 deals.

“Private equity investment, which for some years now has provided the momentum for M&A activity growth on the continent, was subdued in 2023. This is not surprising, given the higher interest rates and the fact that private equity firms rely on borrowing to part-fund deals,” the report said.

The nalysis shows that, as a percentage of the total deal value, private equity transactions continue to increase and have, for the past few years, constituted 50 percent of the deal flow.

“The value of deal activity recorded was $11.2 billion, a 36 percent decline on the previous year, and 28 percent down on the pre-COVID numbers of 2019. East Africa edged its way back to the top to claim the most activity per region, recording 144 deals, followed by West Africa (136 deals) and North Africa (107 deals),” the report added.

In terms of deal value, Southern Africa which stood out, and more specifically, Zimbabwe, with total deals valued at $5.8 billion, reflecting the size of several mining transactions announced during the year.

While recessionary fears haven’t vanished, they have lessened, supported by the recent forecast by the African Development Bank in its latest Macroeconomic Performance Outlook, which projects that Africa’s GDP will grow 3.8 percent in 2024, and 4.2 percent in 2025, according to authors of the report.

“This feeds into the narrative that consumption will be the driver of investor activity on the continent, with sectors most likely to attract sizeable M&A activity being energy and natural resources, telecommunications and technology, consumer goods and retail, and infrastructure development,” they said.

They added that of the top 10 deals by value for 2023, eight involved targets in the energy or resources sectors, and these were predominantly located in Southern Africa. By , Business Day

Journalists protested in Khartoum in November 2021 against the military coup. (Courtesy photo)

The Secretary of Freedoms at the Sudanese Journalists Union, Iman Fadl Al-Sayyid, has said that 360 cases of violations against journalists have been documented, with 90 percent of media institutions in Sudan destroyed.

She told Radio Tamazuj that Journalists have been subjected to harassment daily by the parties to the conflict since the outbreak of the war between the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on 15 April 2023.

According to Fadl, since the outbreak of the war, the situation has been deteriorating rapidly due to the targeting of journalists and media outlets by the conflicting parties from the first day.

“All media outlets have been subjected to violations or near-total destruction because they are located near conflict zones, such as the Sudanese Armed Forces General Command. Media institutions have been destroyed, and the war has displaced journalists, causing them to stop working,” she said. “We can say that more than 90 percent of journalists working in newspapers and media institutions in Sudan have become unemployed, and some work in other professions to meet life's requirements.”

Fadl added: “The war has put journalists in a dilemma between their commitment to their families and their work to convey the truth and shape public opinion."

She stated that many journalists have been arrested in large numbers and not a day passes without a journalist being arrested in areas controlled by the warring parties.

Fadl pointed out that lists of journalists' names have been published, describing them as supporters of one of the conflict parties.

“There are journalists known for their affiliation with the Islamic Movement and have a specific line and supporters of one of the conflict parties,” She said. “This exposes the Sudanese nation and people to grave violations. Journalists are a civil force calling for an end to futile wars and violations.”

Fadl called on the international community to pressure the parties to the conflict to stop the war and to protect journalists as stipulated in international agreements. She also called on journalists to publish accurate information and combat misleading information carrying hate speech, and adhere to digital and physical protection guidelines. Radio Tamazuj

The Kenya Airport Authority (KAA) has closed Terminal 1E at the country’s main international airport following a non-injury fire incident linked to an electrical fault.

KAA said response teams contained the fire at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) and no casualties were reported.

It moved all flight operations on the affected Terminal to Terminal 1A for continuity.

“To mitigate any inconvenience this may cause, all flight arrival operations have been redirected to Terminal 1A until further notice,” KAA stated in an update on Monday morning.

The agency assured passengers using the airport of their safety and convenience as it works to restore operations at Terminal 1E which serves all international arrivals by non-SkyTeam airlines.

“KAA is dedicated to ensuring the safety and security of all passengers, staff, and stakeholders at our facilities and is taking all necessary steps to minimize disruptions and return to normal operations as swiftly as possible.”

The agency did not however give timelines for restoration of operations at Terminal 1E. Capital News

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

In Uganda, a Yale doctor helps train the first interventional radiologists at public hospitals

In Uganda, a Yale do...

In early June, radiologist Eva Nabawanuka had a patient with a ruptured liver tumor. The patient wa...

Exclusive women's store opens in Karen as Kenya positions itself as China's gateway to Africa

Exclusive women'...

Official Opening of an exclusive shop for female merchandise targeting women between the ages 25 to...

LSK says corruption biggest threat to 2010 constitution

LSK says corruption...

Maeche applauded the 2010 constitution saying, with devolution put in place, marginalized communitie...

Universities need to serve as incubators of innovation – AfDB VP Nnenna Nwabufo

Universities need to...

IEA News Universities are essential partners in Africa’s development, and the African Development Ba...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.