Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

 

Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro has hit out at the Azimio leadership over planned rally slated for tomorrow.

Speaking during a church service in Kirinyaga on Sunday, the legislature instead called the Azimio leader Raila Odinga to ensure his family is at the forefront of the planned rallies and demonstrations.

Nyoro said President William Ruto cannot be intimidated or coerced by calls for demonstrations, adding Raila’s plan was to extract personal benefits by calling for the demonstrations.

“Wewe uite maandmano hata kesho lakini kama maandamao ni kitu ya manufaa na kabisa unaezakuza uchumi ya kenya na maandamano, kesho tukuone na jamii yako kwanza msitari wa meble mkipeleka hiyo maandamano mbele,” Nyoro said.

He said calls for rallies and demonstrations will not intimidate the President but further challenged the Azimio brigade to ensure businesses are not affected during the rally.

“…na kwa hiyo mandamno mimi nitakuombea ruhusa hata kwa Rais wetu ikiwezekana hata serikali ipelekee watu maji pale, na hata soda wakiandamana wanakunywa kidogo wanarudi maandamano,” he said.

This is translated to mean, ‘I will ask for permission from our President if possible the government to take water and sodas there so that the demonstrators can take as they continue with their demonstrations’.

Nyoro further called on the opposition chief to learn from the leadership late South African leader Nelson Mandela.

Azimio leader is expected to issue a compressive statement on Monday on claims by a whistleblower that the 9 August 2022 presidential election was rigged.

His spokesman Dennis Onyango said Raila will issue the statement at a rally in Kamkunji Grounds in Nairobi upon his arrival from South Africa.

In a statement to newsrooms, Onyango said Raila is expected to land at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport at 11 am and thereafter proceed to Kamkunji for the People’s Baraza.

“Odinga appeals to Kenyans to show up in large numbers at the Kamkunji Baraza in the interest of the country,” the statement said.

Raila has been out of the country for slightly over a week having left the country on January 13 for South Africa. - MAGDALINE SAYA, The Star

Chadema deputy chairman Tundu Lissu who is expected to return from exile in Belgium on January 25. PHOTO | FILE | NMG

Tanzania’s opposition party Chadema and allied movements are planning public rallies to push for review of the constitution after President Samia Suluhu removed a ban on political gatherings.

The rallies, which would be the first legal gatherings in seven years, are meant to refuel the agitation for a new constitution and fire up the parties ahead of next year’s civic elections and the general election in 2025.

There are 19 registered political parties in Tanzania and they are taking advantage of the new political space after President Samia lifted the ban on public political rallies and meetings. Chadema’s first public rally is scheduled for Dar es Salaam.

Chadema deputy Secretary General Benson Kigaila told The EastAfrican that the party will be organising public rallies to push for democracy, rule of law and development agenda in Tanzania.

“We will be co-operating with the government to ensure that Tanzania gets a new constitution before the civic elections in 2024 and the general election in 2025 in a free political environment,” he said. 

The party is preparing to welcome back its deputy chairman Tundu Lissu, who is expected to return from exile in Belgium on January 25.

On June 24, 2016, the late President John Magufuli had imposed a ban on public political activities and rallies. President Samia lifted it earlier in January and directed police and other security forces to allow parties and provide security.

According to the president, registered political parties had full rights to organise and hold rallies to discuss political ambitions and criticise her government and criticise the ruling CCM party.

The head of the Baptist Churches in Central Tanzania Bishop Anthony Mlyashimba and the head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania Dr Frederick Shoo have been calling for reforms, and a culture of forgiveness.

Struck conciliatory note

Already, Chadema chairman Freeman Mbowe and the vice chairman of the ruling Chama Cha Mapinduzi Abdulrahman Kinana have struck a conciliatory note.

Chairman of the Civic United Front (CUF) Professor Ibrahim Lipumba said that his party will launching its political public rallies soon.

Police spokesperson David Misime said that police officers were ready to manage the gatherings. 

By Apolinari Tairo and Mohamed Issa, The East African

  • Five suspects are thought to have links to a genocide killing 800,000 Rwandans 
  • The War Crimes Unit was given a referral from Rwandan authorities last January
  • The men are currently living in London, Essex, Bedford, Kent and Manchester 
  • 100 days of slaughter and ethnic cleansing in Rwanda took place 25 years ago 

The suspects are thought to be behind the deaths of 800,000 Rwandans, mostly Tutsis but including some moderate Hutus, who died in 100 days of slaughter and ethnic cleansing

 

The suspects are Celestin Mutabaruka, 63, from Kent; Vincent Brown, also known as Vincent Bajinya, 59, from Islington, north London; Celestin Ugirashebuja, 66, from Essex; Charles Munyaneza, 61, from Bedford; and Emmanuel Nteziryayo, from Manchester, the Daily Mirror reported.

All of the suspects have denied the allegations. 

The war crimes unit, part of the counter-terrorism command, received a referral from Rwandan authorities in January last year.

The Mirror tracked the suspects down in 2019, when one, Celestin Mutabaruka, 67, who lives in Kent, said he had 'nothing to hide and welcomed the chance to clear his name.

Speaking at his flat in Islington, North London, he said two years ago: 'I am not a criminal and I never did those things.'

The second suspect is Vincent Brown, also known as Vincent Bajinya, 59, living in Islington, north London, who is a doctor with British citizenship and changed his name to Brown. 

Third, Celestin Ugirashebuja, 66, from Essex 69, who is now a care worker. 

The fourth suspect is Charles Munyaneza, 61, living in Bedford, and fifth Emmanuel Nteziryayo, who now lives in Manchester, the Daily Mirror reported. 

The suspects were interviewed by police voluntarily in 2020, and the Metropolitan Police has taken dozens of witness statements from victims of the 1994 atrocities

 

The war crimes unit, part of the counter-terrorism command, received a referral from Rwandan authorities in January last year

Human remains on display at the Nyamata Church Genocide Memorial of victims of the 1994 genocide which resulted in the deaths of 800,000 Rwandans
Human remains on display at the Nyamata Church Genocide Memorial of victims of the 1994 genocide which resulted in the deaths of 800,000 Rwandans

All five deny the allegations against them and involvement in the genocide.

In July 2017, five men with the same names, all of Hutu ethnicity, were ordered to be extradited in a bid to have them returned to Rwanda, which was blocked by the UK High Court.

At the time judges agreed there was a real risk they would be denied a fair trial if they were returned.

The controversial UK-Rwanda Migration and Economic Development Partnership scheme, introduced by the Home Secretary Priti Patel, was set up to send some asylum seekers who arrived from safe countries, many on small boats, to Rwanda, without the possibility of return. 

The scheme has so far cost the UK taxpayer £140m in development funding to Rwanda, but as of yet nobody has yet been sent there amid ongoing legal challenges.

The Rwanda scheme has so far cost the UK taxpayer £140m in development funding to Rwanda, but as of yet nobody has yet been sent there amid ongoing legal challenges
 

The Rwanda scheme has so far cost the UK taxpayer £140m in development funding to Rwanda, but as of yet nobody has yet been sent there amid ongoing legal challenges

A ruling this week has meant that there is no prospect of flights leaving immediately while the scheme goes to the Court of Appeal.

During a High Court Hearing on Monday, Lord Justice Lewis and Mr Justice Swift said that 11 migrants could ask the Court of Appeal to consider whether Rwanda's assurances to the UK amounted to sufficient guarantees of safe and fair treatment.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson, speaking about the five suspects, said: 'Relevant documentation to this was assessed by the war crimes unit and officers were also deployed to Rwanda as part of our initial work to scope the allegations,' 

The spokeswoman added: 'As a result, we have subsequently commenced an investigation which will initially involve a review of all the documentation transferred from Rwanda.

'Given the complexities involved, this is expected to be a protracted and lengthy process. Inquiries continue.' By SUKHMANI SETHI FOR MAILONLINE

  • An image of President William Ruto (left) and ODM leader Raila Odinga (right). KENYANS.CO.KE 
  • Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga ostensibly called for a rally at the famous Kamukunji Grounds on Monday, January 23, after a dossier by a whistleblower on August 9, 2022, presidential election.

    On Saturday, January 21, Odinga’s spokesperson Dennis Onyango, in a statement to newsrooms, announced that the Azimio leader would land at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) on Monday, January 23 at 11 am.

    “Mr Odinga appeals to Kenyans to show up in large numbers at the Kamukunji Baraza, in the interest of the country,” Onyango stated. 

    On Friday, January 20, the Azimio leadership challenged the electoral commission (IEBC) to allow a forensic audit of its servers to dispel claims by a whistleblower that Raila Odinga won.

    Wiper Party leader Kalonzo Musyoka (centre) with other Azimio leaders during a media briefing at his Karen office on January 19, 2023.
    Wiper Party leader Kalonzo Musyoka (centre) with other Azimio leaders during a media briefing at his Karen office on January 19, 2023. TWITTER
    KALONZO MUSYOKA

    Led by Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka and his Narc Kenya counterpart Martha Karua, Azimio alluded that it had demanded full access to the servers during the presidential petition but this was denied by both the court and IEBC. 

    Azimio cited a document provided by a whistleblower allegedly working at IEBC that indicated Odinga garnered 8,170,353 votes (57.3 per cent) against Ruto’s 5,915,973 (41.66 per cent). 

    However, speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Political Analyst Martin Andati termed the push back by Odinga as lethargic and uninspiring.

    “Raila is looking for relevance after Ruto announced that the previous administration was after kidnapping Chebukati, recently, they released unbelievable figures alluding to an Odinga win which was unrealistic.

    They do all this because they have to react to Ruto’s attacks in order to maintain their support base,” he added.

    Andati further remarked that political dynamics had changed in the country and that Ruto had started making inroads in opposition bases.

    “Ruto has done three months already, and he has already reached out to Odinga’s bases. Further, the Supreme Court ruled on the August 9 elections and its decision was final." 

    According to Andati, Raila can only do rallies as long as they do not end up destroying people's properties.

    “Ruto will clamp down on the opposition if they are to hold rallies that would destroy people's properties. They can however hold their rallies as Ruto has been advocating for a robust opposition in the country,” he opined.

    Odinga has been in South Africa since January 13, where he held meetings as the AU High Representative for Infrastructure Development in Africa.

    He also held meetings with government leaders, NGOs and business leaders.  By ANZUGIRA PEREZ, Kenyans.co.ke

Firefighters put up a spirited effort to put off the fire.[Courtesy Amulele]

Hundreds of traders and revelers at Maringo shopping centre in Nairobi’s Makadara Constituency are counting losses after fire gutted several business premises.

The 1pm incident is said to have happened after strong wind blew fire from a burning bush to one of the Makuti buildings before it spread out to the entire shopping centre. 

Henderson Amulele, Ward coordinator in area MP George Aladwa’s office said although firefighters tried their best to put off the fire, it had spread to a large area damaging property. 

“We were just standing beside the road when a strong wind blew the fire which fell on the Makuti bar. Before we could realise what damage it could cause, the entire shopping centre was on fire,” Amulele said. 

According to him, a contractor was burning some bushes that he had cut on a school fence just adjacent to the place.

“The contractor has been pruning the school fence in preparation of opening next week. So today he had collected the bushes he had pruned and decided to burn them just next to the fence which is so close to some mabati structures. There are some dry vines that had grown on top of trees that caught the fire before the wind blew it,” he said.

Amulele said the fire spread out to some residential buildings but residents moved swiftly and salvaged a good number of properties. 

Jogoo Road police came in handy and prevented rowdy youth from looting what had been salvaged.

He said several residential houses, shops and entertainment premises had bee affected in the incident.

“Right now we are just assessing the damage before a comprehensive report is filed and handed to the authorities,” he said. By Patrick Vidija |, The Standard

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

Ruto Directs DCI, Police Departments to Probe & Arrest Mukuru Kwa Njenga Killings

Ruto Directs DCI, Po...

President William Ruto on Saturday directed the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) Departm...

South Sudan: Civil society forum urges Kiir to reject controversial national security RITY LAW

South Sudan: Civil s...

The South Sudan Civil Society Forum (SSCSF) on Friday urgently called upon President Salva Kiir to...

Ethiopian Airlines claims $211,000 from Nigeria over failed venture

Ethiopian Airlines c...

Ethiopian Airlines has claimed a payment of $211,000 by Nigeria Air for breaching contract terms to...

DCI Says Postmortem, Forensic Analysis Launched On Quarry Bodies

DCI Says Postmortem,...

DCI confirmed the investigation as the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) called on Ken...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.