President William Ruto during the first anniversary of the E-Citize platform at the KICC, Nairobi.[PCS]
President William Ruto has issued a seven-day ultimatum to parastatal bosses and heads of State agencies that are yet to onboard services on e-Citizen.
According to Ruto's directive, about 35 chief executive officers are "dodging" transitioning the delivery of their services to the digital platform.
The US Embassy was placed in lockdown as armed officers swooped on a suspicious package that is now thought to have been a hoax device.
Armed officers from the Met Police arrived at the building in Nine Elms, south west London, following reports of a suspicious package on at around 10am on Friday.
The embassy was immediately locked down as a police unit carried out a controlled explosion of the item within a cordoned area, said to have caused a loud bang.
People who had been queuing up for visa appointments were locked inside for more than an hour before being sent home while staff remained inside as officers searched the area.
In a statement at around 1pm, the force said: “Initial indications are that the item was a hoax device. An investigation will now follow.
“Some cordons will remain in place for the time being but the majority of the police response will now be stood down.”
In a statement posted on social media platform X at about 10am, the Metropolitan Police said: “We can confirm that the ‘loud bang’ reported in the area a short time ago was a controlled explosion carried out by officers.”
The embassy is in a high-rise, residential area close to the Thames, with the cordons meaning people who live in the area were unable to get back into their homes.
Firefighters were also at the scene, as well as the dog squad, with dozens of people - many of them people who were attending the building for visa interviews - told to stay behind barriers while authorities responded.
Kevin Tinkler from Aberdeen told the Independent he had been waiting outside for two hours. “There’s been a definite lack of information from the police. The only piece of information I’ve been given was that I was advised to come back another day and rebook the appointment,” said Mr Tinkler.
Another bystander, Jim Prevot, said there were a few hundred people inside having visas processed while the incident was unfolding.
One woman at the scene, who did not want to be named, said she and a companion had been in the building for about three hours. “We didn’t hear anything, it was very calm and chilled in there,” she said. “The cafe stayed open and the amazing thing was they continued processing visa applications throughout the morning. They handled it really well.”
The Met Police dog section is also combing the vicinity (Millie Cooke)
A woman who gave her name as Kawtar said she had been in the embassy since 8am. “Honestly it was calm inside, but we got told we shouldn’t be outside. I’m only now figuring out that something is going on, because nobody knew what was going on,” she said.
The US Embassy said in a statement on X police were investigating the package left outside the building. “Met Police are present and have closed Ponton Road out of an abundance of caution. We will provide further updates when available,” the embassy said.
The drama unfolded at the same time Gatwick Airport evacuated “a large part” of the South Terminal due to a security incident.
The Sussex airport confirmed the news in a social media post, with passengers expected to face disruption to their flights. “A large part of the South Terminal has been evacuated as a precaution while we continue to investigate a security incident,” a statement read. By Millie Cooke and Angus Thompson, The Independent
This is the first time there has been an indictment for Netanyahu since Israel’s war on Gaza began in October 2023.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, his former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant and a top Hamas leader on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity.
This is the first time that Netanyahu or any Israeli official has been indicted by an international court for the ongoing war on Gaza.
In a decision posted online on Thursday, the ICC charged Netanyahu, Gallant and Hamas leader Mohammed Deif over Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel and Israel’s subsequent genocidal war in Gaza. Israel claimed to have killed Deif in July, however. It is unclear whether he is still alive.
Effectively, the defendants are now internationally wanted suspects and ICC member states are under legal obligation to arrest them.
Israeli officials slammed the move, calling it “anti-Semitic”. Here’s what this all means:
What is the ICC accusing Netanyahu and Gallant of?
In a decision posted online, the court said it had issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and Gallant for “crimes against humanity and war crimes committed from at least 8 October until at least 20 May, 2024” and which related to the use of starvation and the deliberate targeting of medical facilities. Al Jazeera
Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.
To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854. If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.
We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.