Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

Photo  President Wiliam Ruto's Chief Economic Advisor David Ndii

President William Ruto’s economic advisor, David Ndii, has defended the latest revelations that Kenya has spent Ksh1.5 trillion on fuel imports from three Gulf countries through the Government-to-Government (G-to-G) fuel deal over the past 18 months.

The G-to-G deal, initially designed to ease forex pressure and stabilise fuel imports, has now cost the country Ksh1.5 trillion. The staggering amount elicited a heated debate among Kenyans, prompting Ndii to respond and defend it. 

Critiques argue that the deal is proving to benefit the Gulf oil firms more than Kenyan consumers, with fuel prices remaining high despite promises of relief.

According to Ndii, the amount spent so far tallies with what Kenya consumes monthly in petroleum products, showing that the amount earned by the three Gulf companies coincides with the country's consumption, making the total expenditure unsurprising.

President William Ruto (centre), Former DP Rigathi Gachagua (second from left) and economic advisor David Ndii (left) engage in discussions during a retreat in Naivasha on February 21, 2024.

''Three Gulf oil firms sold Kenya Ksh1.5 trillion. This clickbait simply tells you that we consume Ksh800 billion worth of petroleum products a month,'' Ndii said.

The Ruto advisor was responding to the concerns on the amount that has been used so far and why the deal had been extended for a further two years until 2028 despite the cost it has on Kenya's economy. 

Upon calculating Kenyans.co.ke found that Ksh1.5 trillion divided by 18 months results in Ksh83.3 billion per month. While it is still unclear whether Ndii's calculations were erroneous, his statement was still aimed at defending the G-to-G deal.

The G-to-G Kenya fuel deal was meant to reduce the dollar demand by allowing Kenya to import fuel on a credit basis rather than purchasing it on the open market.

According to the Ministry of Energy and Petroleum, the three Gulf Oil Companies, which are Saudi Aramco, National Oil Co and Abu Dhabi National Oil Co, will continue to supply gasoline, diesel, kerosene and jet fuel under a 180-day credit plan until early 2028.

The extension marks a change of heart for Kenya, which had in November told the International Monetary Fund that it would exit from the deal following concern over inconsistencies and contradictions of fuel volumes, forex market distortions, and economic risks. 

This followed a warning from the IMF, which had pointed out that Kenya might be forced to compensate the Gulf firms for failing to agree to meet the agreed fuel import volumes.

The Ministry defended the extension, arguing that the deal has helped to stabilise the shilling and reduce the fuel prices from Ksh217 to the current Ksh174.63, Ksh164.86, and Ksh148.99 for super petrol, diesel, and kerosene, respectively.

While the government argues that the extension will maintain economic stability, critics argue that it could worsen the country's debt burden and limit future fuel import flexibility. by Christine Opanda, Kenyans.co.ke

Kitui Central MP Makali Mulu during a past event. PHOTO/@MakaliMulu/X

Kitui Central Member of Parliament (MP) Makali Mulu has come out strongly against President William Ruto’s administration for broken promises amid police brutality and abductions.

Mulu, in his sentiments during an interview with a local TV station on June 11, 2025, accused the current administration of failing to protect Kenyans from extrajudicial killings and abductions. 

“The continued killings and abductions of Kenyans under President Ruto’s administration, despite his strong stance against the weaponisation of institutions, represent yet another broken promise,” Mulu said.

Mulu’s remarks follow the controversial death of Albert Ojwang, a 31-year-old man who died in police custody under suspicious circumstances, sparking widespread outrage and protests across the country.

The late X influencer Albert Ojwang. PHOTO/@Honeyfarsafi /x

He condemned the continued violence and human rights violations under Ruto’s government. His comments reflect a growing sense of frustration over police brutality and the government’s failure to curb it. 

Ojwang’s death has become a lightning rod for criticism. He was arrested after allegedly defaming Deputy Inspector General of Police Eliud Lagat on social media, only to end up dead while in police custody. An autopsy report revealed severe head injuries and neck compression, raising suspicions of torture and foul play.

Mulu pointed out the contradiction between the president’s pledges and the reality on the ground. “We were promised a government that respects human rights, yet here we are still counting the dead and the disappeared,” Mulu said.

His remarks come against the backdrop of the 2024 Finance Bill protests that left at least 40 people dead and forced the resignation of then-Inspector General Japhet Koome.

Calls for police reform have intensified in the wake of Ojwang’s death. Human rights groups and the Independent Police Oversight Authority (IPOA) are demanding an independent investigation and justice for the family. Mulu echoed these calls, urging the government to tackle the systemic issues within the police service and ensure accountability. 

A postmortem conducted on Tuesday, June 10, 2025, raised serious questions about the police account. Forensic pathologist Bernard Midia reported extensive head injuries, neck compression, bruises on the torso and upper limbs, and defensive wounds on the hands, all signs consistent with physical assault.

“The autopsy findings are a damning indictment of the police force,” Mulu stressed. “We cannot continue to turn a blind eye to these atrocities. We must hold those responsible to account.”

Mulu’s blunt assessment reflects the disillusionment felt by many Kenyans who see a persistent culture of impunity. His words underscore the widespread demand for genuine police reforms and accountability, emphasising that promises of security and respect for human rights must translate into concrete actions rather than political statements. By , People Daily

General and mental health nursing students from TUS, Athlone along with lecturer, Jim Maguire, pictured on their arrival in Uganda as part of an international volunteering programme with Nurture Africa.

 

Twelve third-year general and mental health nursing students from TUS Athlone, along with lecturer Jim Maguire, have arrived safely in Uganda for an international volunteering programme with Nurture Africa!

Over the coming weeks, the team will gain hands-on clinical experience, deepen their understanding of global healthcare challenges, and take part in meaningful cultural exchange — all while making a real impact in local communities.

Holly, Ciara, Julie, Sarah, Roisin, Caoimhe, Catherine, Melissa and the rest of the team are wished a safe and inspiring journey. Independent WestMeath

Kenyan troops disembark from a military vehicle at the Kenya-Somalia border in October 2011.  Photo 

Security officers from the anti-terror police unit killed two terrorists during an ambush in Mandera on Monday. According to the Counter Terrorism Policing, officers from the elite Special Operations Group (SOG), acting on intelligence, launched an operation in the wee hours of the night in Mandera and ambushed the terrorists as they were planning to launch an attack. 

The militants from the Al Shabaab terror group were reportedly planning to terrorise Kenyans using the Alungu-Elwak road, Mandera County.

Further, the police report revealed that the insurgents were in the final stages of planting explosives on the main road, in a bid to target civilian vehicles.

Counter Terrorism Policing

During the incident, a fierce firefight ensued, during which two militants were felled as others sustained serious injuries before fleeing into nearby thickets with officers in hot pursuit.

''Acting on credible intelligence, the elite Special Operations Group launched a pre-dawn operation on Al Shabaab militants who were planning to terrorise Kenyans using the Alungu-Elwak road, Mandera County. 

The terrorists were also in the final stages of placing explosives on the main road, targeting civilian vehicles,'' a police report confirmed.

"The terrorists were caught in the act of setting up the IED. A fierce firefight ensued, during which two militants were neutralised and others sustained serious injuries."

The elite unit managed to recover two AK-47 rifles, a Rocket-Propelled Grenade (RPG) warhead, and a fully assembled IED.

Preliminary assessments indicated that the operation managed to avert a potential large-scale attack on civilian traffic in the area.  

Meanwhile, authorities have reaffirmed their commitment to supporting Kenya's security forces through intensified operations and sustained efforts in the fight against terrorism.

In a related development, on the morning of May 8, the elite SOG neutralised an Al-Shabaab terrorist in Garissa while responding to the reports by locals of militants attempting to plant improved explosive devices (IEDs) along the Dadaab-Hagadera road, targeting civilians and security vehicles. 

During the exchange of fire, one militant was killed, and three others were injured. Security officers also managed to arrest one of the suspects.

The authorities recovered several weapons from the scene, including a PKM machine gun, an AK-47, a pistol, a comms radio, and an IED remote. By Frankline Oduor, Kenyans.co.ke

On 15 June, the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls in Rome, Italy, will witness the beatification of Floribert Bwana Chui Bin Kositi, a young Congolese member of the Community of Sant’Egidio, a martyr who stood up against corruption. The ceremony will be presided over by Cardinal Marcello Semeraro, Prefect of the Dicastery for the Causes of Saints.
 

Paul Samasumo - Vatican City.

Pope Francis said of Floribert Bwana Chui: “I think of the witness given by a young person like yourselves, Floribert... only twenty-six years old, he was killed in Goma for having blocked the passage of spoiled foodstuffs that could have been harmful to people’s health. He could have easily turned a blind eye; no one would have known, and he might even have gained an advantage. But, as a Christian, he prayed. He thought of others and chose honesty, saying no to corruption. That is what it means to keep your hands and heart clean.”

Pope Francis expressed these words to thousands of young Congolese gathered at the stadium in Kinshasa on 2 February 2023 during his Apostolic Visit to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Carry this event in prayer.

In a recent letter dated 20 April 2025, announcing the beatification to the Diocese of Goma, the Ordinary of the Diocese, Bishop Willy Ngumbi Ngengele, M. Afr., spoke of the beatification as an outpouring of hope for the people of Congo. He said the Diocese of Goma would celebrate the new Blessed on 8 July 2025 in the city of Goma.

“I would like to announce in advance that here in Goma, we will hold a solemn Mass in honour of Floribert Bwana Chui on Tuesday, 8 July 2025, the anniversary of his death. He will already have been beatified,” said Bishop Ngumbi.

He continued, “His beatification is, for the Church of Congo in general, and for the Diocese of Goma in particular, an outpouring of hope and a reason for thanksgiving to the Lord, who continually showers us with his wonders. The martyrdom of Floribert BWANA CHUI BIN KOSITI is primarily an honour for our laity and our youth, a call for all of us to commit more deeply to justice, peace, and fraternity in faith and trust in the Risen Christ. While awaiting this joyful day, I now invite all sons and daughters of our diocese, as well as all people of goodwill, to carry this event in prayer,” said the prelate of Goma.

Floribert Bwana Chui will be the fourth blessed in the Democratic Republic of Congo, following the beatifications of Blessed Anuarite Nengapeta, Isidore Bakanja, and Father Albert Joubert—beatified alongside three Xaverian missionaries in Uvira, eastern DRC.

 

Who was Floribert?

According to Sant’Egidio, Floribert was born on 13 June 1981 in Goma, the capital of North Kivu, in eastern Congo. He grew up in a region long plagued by conflict and unrest.

Goma and the eastern region of the DRC are currently occupied by the Rwanda-backed M23 rebels, who seized control of the city in late January 2025 following an offensive.

Sant’Egidio describes Goma as a region rich in natural beauty and mineral wealth; however, it is also a politically complex and troubled region, scarred by years of prolonged violence.

Floribert’s studies culminated in a law degree. He initially worked at the Office Congolais de Contrôle in Kinshasa, a government agency responsible for quality control of goods from other countries. After a period of training in the capital—where opportunities abounded—Floribert chose to return to Goma, his home town.

Despite his relatively young age, Floribert made a profound impact at the customs office of Goma. Unlike his predecessors, he refused to accept bribes to pass rotten or contaminated foodstuffs. His integrity ultimately cost him his life, as he was tortured and murdered for his refusal to succumb to corruption.

The Community of Sant’Egidio

The Community of Sant’Egidio spoke of its joy that one of its members was being recognised by the universal Church for his integrity and faith.

“We give thanks for the witness of faith and holiness of this young man, who shared the life of the Community in love for the poor and protection of the little ones,” read part of a Sant’Egidio statement.

Sant’Egidio also stated that the celebration in Rome would be attended by the Diocese of Goma, led by its Bishop, Willy Ngumbi, and other representatives of the Congolese Church, including Cardinal Fridolin Ambongo of Kinshasa.

Sant’Egidio is a Christian community founded in 1968, shortly after the Second Vatican Council. Initiated by Andrea Riccardi in Rome, it has evolved into a global network with a presence in over 70 countries. The community focuses on reaching the peripheries—serving marginalised and vulnerable populations—through listening to the Gospel and committing voluntarily and freely to aid the poor and promote peace. Vatican News

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

LSK says corruption biggest threat to 2010 constitution

LSK says corruption...

Maeche applauded the 2010 constitution saying, with devolution put in place, marginalized communitie...

Universities need to serve as incubators of innovation – AfDB VP Nnenna Nwabufo

Universities need to...

IEA News Universities are essential partners in Africa’s development, and the African Development Ba...

Azerbaijan, Uganda explore avenues for energy cooperation

Azerbaijan, Uganda e...

Prospects for the development of relations between Azerbaijan and Uganda in the field of energy were...

Tassia Estate Fire in Nairobi Leaves 450 Families Homeless

Tassia Estate Fire i...

Devastating fire ripped through Nairobi’s Tassia Estate in Embakasi East on the evening of Tuesday,...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.