What you need to know:
- The world needs policies and laws that will enhance women efforts as actors.
The United Nations (UN) Women Uganda have called for participation of more women in peace and security promotion in the country saying it enhances their efforts as actors in a nation’s development.
This was revealed during the commemoration of the 21st anniversary of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325, on women, peace, and security, (UNSCR) and dissemination of the National Action Plan (NAP) II in Kampala on Tuesday.
The resolution was unanimously adopted by the UN Security Council on October 31, 2000, after recalling resolutions 1261, 1265, 1296, and 1314. It acknowledges the disproportionate and unique impact of armed conflict on women and girls.
The UN Women deputy country representative Ms Adekemi Ndieli said promoting women participation and rights is not a suggestion to women but it’s a must in preventing and resolving conflicts and also sustaining peace.
“When women are involved, the likelihood of reaching peace agreement is significantly higher and also peace last longer. Including women in high positions is not about counting women but it’s about making women count,” she said.
Ms Ndieli added: ‘‘Through the implementation of NAP III, all stakeholders must ensure that there is meaningful participation of women regarding peace and security and UN, we pledge to support the promotion this agenda.’’
Ms Hellen Nambalirwa from Makerere University Peace Centre said that in the NAP III, government should embrace a holistic approach through the ministry of gender, labour and social development which promotes peace and security among women.
“We need policies and laws that will enhance women efforts as actors. You may say that there are many laws but there is that missing link,” she said.
Uganda was among the first countries in Africa to develop the NAP in 2018, which according to labour minister Betty Amongi is a ‘‘State mechanism to strengthen women presentation and participation in peace and security.’’ By Shabibah Nakirigya, Daily Monitor
Deputy President William Ruto reportedly received intelligence to avoid parts of Kisumu over tension.
Police spokesperson Bruno Shioso has said the tension was due to dispute over the distribution of campaign funds.
A crowd has disrupted Deputy President William Ruto’s Wednesday tour of Kondele Ward in Kisumu Central Sub-County. Ruto is in Kisumu to sell his presidential agenda.
As he passed through Kondele, some youth pelted his convoy with stones. Police officers in at least four Toyota Land Cruiser vehicles were deployed to the scene to restore normalcy.
When Ruto was addressing the crowd from his vehicle’s sunroof, a section of rowdy youth then started heckling him. The DP was forced to cut short his speech which had lasted barely five minutes.
Shioso said Ruto's team was warned and asked to skip Kondele during the Nyanza tour.
"During the rally, violence erupted amongst the local agitated groups who engaged in stone-throwing and other unruly behaviour," he added.
Police responded promptly to contain the situation and provide security to Ruto, his entourage, the public, and property, in the process, tear gas was discharged.
DP Ruto left the scene and no injuries were reported, but some vehicles were destroyed.
Ruto had earlier made successful addresses on Obote Road and Jua Kali in Kisumu Central.
In his speech, the DP urged the residents to vote for him in the 2022 presidential election, saying he was the best bet to economically elevate the low and middle-income earners in the country. By Jael Mboga, The Standard
Minister of Energy January Makamba. Photo via Energy Voice
Tanzania has begun negotiations with companies on a proposed $30 billion LNG scheme.
Tanzanian Minister of Energy January Makamba said the project would transform the country’s economy. The ministry has been working behind the scenes for two months, he continued.
“We’re confident that a final investment decision [FID] will come sooner than is traditionally the case,” Makamba said. The government has said it hopes the companies may start building the LNG facility in 2022. The licences on Blocks 1 and 2 are due to expire in 2023.
The government is in talks with Shell, Equinor, Singapore’s Pavilion Energy and ExxonMobil. The focus is on the host government agreement (HGA).
This aims to set out fiscal, legal and commercial terms for the onshore part of the LNG project.
The minister said there would be updates in the coming weeks as the two sides work on the major plan.
Makamba held talks with Equinor vice president for E&P in Africa Paul McCafferty in October. The minister reported both sides were optimistic about the Tanzania LNG project’s “investability”.
In April this year, the country heads of Shell and Equinor wrote an op-ed in The Citizen newspaper calling for the government to support the LNG project.
“Tanzania LNG can win in the highly competitive global LNG space,” they said. Shell and Equinor have agreed to work together on an LNG plant at Lindi.
However, at the start of the year Equinor wrote down the value of its Tanzania LNG plan by $982 million. The Norwegian company said the breakeven price for the project is “well above” its portfolio average.
Equinor plans to shift its capital expenditure from oil and gas towards renewables and low carbon options. It has set the goal of focusing 50% of its capex on this area by 2030, from 4% in 2020.
The gas offshore Tanzania has low levels of associated CO2, making it a potentially attractive project for meeting future LNG needs. - Energy Voice,
Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.
To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.
We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.
President Salva Kiir on Friday removed two deputies to the Secretary General of the Sudan People`s...
A contingent of one thousand troops departed Uganda on Wednesday heading to the eastern part of the...
The man who inspired the Hollywood film Hotel Rwanda returned to the US on Wednesday after being fr...
(Photo : Photo by YASUYOSHI CHIBA/AFP via Getty Images) A chimpanzee gang ripped off a young boy's f...