Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

Amin Mohamed. He has been appointed the new Director of DCI by President Ruto. Jeff Angote | Nation Media Group

An impressive CV and a scandal-free career spanning decades as an investigator and manager earned Internal Affairs Unit (IAU) chief Amin Mohamed Ibrahim the selection as the next Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI), replacing George Kinoti who resigned last month. 

President William Ruto yesterday morning gazetted the former head of the Banking Fraud Unit as the new DCI after he beat nine other candidates during marathon interviews conducted by the National Police Service Commission (NPSC) on Monday.

“In exercise of the powers conferred, I, William Ruto, appoint Amin Mohamed to be the director,” stated the President.

Mr Ibrahim, 58, has been in the National Police Service for the last 33 years, serving in various capacities. That made him a clear favourite from the time a shortlist of 10 candidates for the position was released by NPCSC last week.

He will, however, be going back to a familiar ground. He first cut his teeth on investigations when he was appointed the officer in charge of the crime branch at Bungoma Police Station immediately after being hired as a cadet in 1989.

Apart from various stints at the DCI where he rose through the ranks, Mr Ibrahim successfully investigated former Deputy Chief Justice Nancy Baraza when she threatened a security guard in 2012, investigated and prosecuted the killers of former Italian bishop Luigi Locati in 2005 and coordinated investigations for the 2007 post-election violence.

He has also served as the director of the Kenya National Focal Point on Small and Light Weapons; as the regional director for the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in North Eastern; as the head of investigations at DCI; as the senior superintendent at the Anti-Corruption Police Unit; among other senior positions 

Yet, despite his good performance during the interviews where he scored the highest points, there was a push between certain political actors who wanted to impose their own candidate. But President Ruto stood firm, insisting that the person who won the interviews should be given the job.

Mr Ibrahim who comes into office as the 16th head of the investigative arm of the National Police Service since the formation of the Criminal Intelligence Unit (CIU) in 1926, is also the first director ever to be competitively recruited, an early positive change by the Ruto administration.

Despite existing provisions in the law on how the director of Kenya’s biggest investigative agency is supposed to be selected, the Mwai Kibaki and Uhuru Kenyatta regimes hired their DCI directors as Presidential appointees.

Section 30 of the National Police Service Act says: “Whenever a vacancy occurs in the office of the Director of Criminal Investigations, the (NPSC) shall, by notice in the Gazette and at least two daily newspapers of national circulation, declare a vacancy and request for applications.”

Yet Mr Kinoti, who came into office in 2018 as the 15th head of the DCI after it replaced the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) thanks to the 2010 Constitution, was appointed by President Kenyatta.

His predecessor, Mr Ndegwa Muhoro, was also appointed directly by President Kibaki on the eve of the promulgation of the 2010 Constitution, a move legal observers thought was meant to circumvent the law. 

Mr Ibrahim’s appointment as DCI has therefore given the department a much-needed breath of fresh air after a tumultuous four-year reign of Mr Kinoti that began with a lot of promise, only to get mixed up with political battles. The appointment also gives the directorate a chance to bring itself back on track.

“His vast experience in the field of investigations within and outside the directorate will without doubt inject new blood to the country’s foremost investigative agency and address the ever-changing crime dynamics,” said the directorate following Ibrahim’s appointment as its head as it welcomed him “back home”.

As DCI boss, Mr Ibrahim will be one of the most powerful people in the country. He will be in charge of the Special Crime Prevention Unit, Banking Fraud Investigations Unit, the Anti-Narcotics Unit, the Bomb and Hazardous Disposal Unit, the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit, the Cybercrime Investigation Unit, among others.

During Mr Kinoti’s term, the DCI increased its visibility among Kenyans, upgraded the Criminal Intelligence Unit to Criminal Research and Intelligence Bureau, expanded the homicide (DNA, Toxicological, Chemistry and Biology Lab Units) and commissioned the forensic laboratory that had stalled for years.

Mr Kinoti, however, left office with a significant number of unsolved murder cases and a failed war on corruption which put him at logger heads with the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji and President Ruto’s allies who accused him of targeting them. 

This is where Mr Ibrahim – who is known among his colleagues as a media-shy, talented, fair but firm investigator with a love for reading – is expected to pick up from. He will, however, be walking on eggshells from the time he walks into the corner office at Mazingira House along Kiambu Road, with his first challenge being how to investigate cases involving politicians.

The Ruto administration whose members came under fire during Mr Kinoti’s tenure has already drawn the line on how it wants its members to be treated by the DCI. A number of politicians allied to the president have ongoing corruption and criminal cases in court where investigating officers from the DCI are expected to testify.

Additionally, Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua, who has never hidden his dislike for the DCI since he was arrested on suspicion of money laundering in 2019, has on many occasions expressed his displeasure at how the department operates. His preference is that sleuths should stay at Mazingira House instead of lurking in government offices.

His latest jab towards the directorate came two weeks ago when he said it is time to overhaul DCI operations.

“We want a professional DCI, who will not spend time on drama, who will not spend time on the press, told Citizen TV.  By Vincent Achuka, Nation

 

Tanzania has submitted a request to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) asking partners to help finance a voluntary repatriation of Burundi refugees.

Tanzania’s Home Affairs Minister Hamad Yusuf Masauni made the appeal on Wednesday at the 73rd meeting of the UNHCR’s Executive Committee held in Geneva, Switzerland.

Mr Masauni argues that the political situation in Burundi has improved since President Evariste Ndayishimiye took over in 2020 and that refugees at Nyarugusu and Ndutu camps in Kigoma Region should return home.

For the plan to succeed, authorities will have to first win over refugees still sceptical of the repatriation, the minister said, as he presented the country’s reports on the situation of refugees, in a meeting chaired by UNHCR Commissioner General Filipo Grandi.

Since 2018, three years after the political impasse in Burundi led to a mass exodus of its citizens to neighbouring states including Tanzania, the two East African countries have been holding a series of meetings over the return of refugees, but to no avail.

Hundreds of Burundians are reluctant to go back home fearing for their security. In 2015, then president Pierre Nkurunziza ran for a third term after a disputed law change that removed the two-term limit. During the fracas, more than 400,000 citizens fled to Tanzania, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

According to Tanzanian government figures, 200,000 Burundians entered Tanzania through porous borders and are being hosted at designated refugee camps of Nyarugusu and Ndutu.

In 2018, Tanzania announced it would repatriate all Burundian refugees on its soil, but the exercise was postponed owing to the prevailing insecurity and political situation in Burundi at the time.

A year later, the two countries agreed in principle to embark on refugee repatriation but only 64,000 expressed their desire for repatriation from camps in northwestern Tanzania. The voluntary exercise took place in October 2019.

Statistics by Tanzania’s Home Affairs Ministry show there are still 136,221 Burundians at refugee camps in the country. This is after the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) issued a statement that said returnees should not be forcefully returned but should only go home voluntarily. - EMMANUEL ONYANGO, The EastAfrican

 

DAR ES SALAAM, Oct. 14 (Xinhua) -- Wildlife experts in Tanzania have embarked on a project aimed at controlling poaching and the growing trend of wildlife-human conflicts, a senior official said on Friday.

The Minister for Natural Resources and Tourism Pindi Chana said wildlife experts have launched a collaring of wild animals in Mikumi, Ruaha and Julius Nyerere national parks to protect them from poachers and to trace them before they raided farms and residential areas in villages adjacent to the parks.

Speaking at the launch of the project in Mikumi National Park, Chana said the collaring will target elephants, lions, leopards, wild dogs and giraffes with the aim of providing early warnings in case the wild animals were hunted by poachers or they strayed from the national parks.

She said the collaring of the wild animals will also help boost the conservation of the animals that are on the brink of extinction, adding it will also help in controlling poaching, illegal hunting, and the identification of available pastures for the animals.

The collars include Global Positioning System and Global System for Mobile Communications tracking devices that are placed around the animals' necks to monitor their movements and behavior as well as to assist with conservation actions.

She said experts have been drawn from the Tanzania Wildlife Research Institute and the Tanzania National Parks. - Xinhua

A Nairobi High Court has dropped charges against 5 accused persons in the Ksh 588 million graft case facing former Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu.

The five who were employees of the Kiambu County Government had been charged with willful failure to comply with the procurement procedures prompting them to move to the High Court.

The five discharged are Zacharia Mbugua, Joyce Musyoka, Simon Kangethe, Anselm Gachukia and Samuel Mugo in the Ksh 588 million graft case facing former Kiambu Governor.

Through their lawyer Isaac Owuor the five had moved to court earlier in the year seeking to have their charges dropped.

In a judgment by Justice Esther Maina, the court found that the prosecution and EACC are prohibited from charging the five.

This now leaves Waititu, his wife Susan Wangari and five in the graft case.  By Sarafina Robi, KBC

Photo Courtesy DAily Mail

Asylum seekers facing removal to Rwanda could have their claims processed in as little as three weeks from arrival, the High Court heard today - as more migrants were pictured arriving in Dover. 

The charity Asylum Aid has brought a legal challenge against the Home Office, with judges told that the procedure is 'seriously unfair'.

In April, then-home secretary Priti Patel signed what she described as a 'world-first agreement' to deport some asylum seekers to the east African nation in a bid to deter migrants from crossing the Channel.

However, the first deportation flight - due to take off on June 14 - was grounded amid a series of legal challenges against individual removals and the policy as a whole.

 
The High Court today heard a challenge against the government's Rwanda policy. Pictured: Migrants arriving at Dover today 
The High Court today heard a challenge against the government's Rwanda policy. Pictured: Migrants arriving at Dover today © Provided by Daily Mail

Smugglers are charging migrants up to £2,800 each - as total to cross in four years passes 75,000 

Migrants are paying people smugglers up to £2,800 per person to reach the UK amid a shortage of boats, according to new reports today. 

Even so, the issues do not seem to be holding back the tide of crossings, with another 800 migrants making the perilous journey across the English Channel yesterday. 

The latest arrivals bring the total so far this year to 36,463 people in 899 boats - an average of 41 people per vessel.

It also means more than 75,000 migrants have arrived in Britain after crossing the Channel since current records began four years ago.  

Charlotte Kilroy KC, for Asylum Aid, told the High Court in London today that the process is 'highly abbreviated' and lacks safeguards.

Ms Kilroy said in written submissions: 'It is intended, absent delays introduced by legal challenges, to be capable of completion 'end to end', i.e. from start to removal, within two-three weeks.

'The procedure is seriously unfair and gives rise to a real risk that individuals may be removed from the jurisdiction without having had effective access to legal advice and thus to the courts.'

The court heard that after a notice of intent is issued, asylum seekers are given seven days' notice of their planned removal to Rwanda, which is increased to 14 days if the person is not in detention.

The Home Office will then make a decision, which may be accompanied by the formal removal direction that requires five working days' notice before the proposed removal date, judges later heard.

'There is a real problem with not giving people enough time to put their full case which has a chance of succeeding,' said Ms Kilroy. 

'Seven, or even 14 days, is far too short a period to afford an effective opportunity to gather evidence and make representations on the wide range of complex issues raised,' she continued in written submissions.

Extensions are possible, the barrister argued, but 'individuals are not informed that they may seek extensions, there is no policy or guidance to case workers on granting them, and they are granted for short periods on a restrictive basis, if at all'. 

 
In April, then-home secretary Priti Patel signed what she described as a 'world-first agreement' with the East African nation (pic - scenes at Dover today) 
In April, then-home secretary Priti Patel signed what she described as a 'world-first agreement' with the East African nation (pic - scenes at Dover today) © Provided by Daily Mail/Photo Courtesy
 
However, the first deportation flight - due to take off on June 14 - was grounded amid a series of legal challenges against individual removals and the policy as a whole
However, the first deportation flight - due to take off on June 14 - was grounded amid a series of legal challenges against individual removals and the policy as a whole© Provided by Daily Mail

The Home Office has argued that seven days will be 'sufficient' in many cases and that individuals and their solicitors can request extensions.

'It is not an 'accelerated' process or a 'mirror' of any other system,' Edward Brown KC, for the department, said in written arguments.

He continued: 'The process is designed to determine, without delay, the issue of admissibility and possible removal to Rwanda, whilst giving sufficient opportunity to the individual to make representations in relation to that decision.

'Any notionally longer standard time period, none having been identified, would inevitably disrupt the balance with other critical factors, such as the fact of immigration detention and the wider public interest in asylum, immigration and border control.'

'The time periods are flexible and adequate to the procedure in question,' he added.

Mr Brown later said in written arguments: 'The relevant question is whether the period, including any extension, is sufficient for the purpose in question. The evidence demonstrates that it is.'

 
A group of people thought to be migrants walk through the Border Force compound in Dover
A group of people thought to be migrants walk through the Border Force compound in Dover© Provided by Daily Mail

'In many cases, seven days will be sufficient, particularly if an applicant chooses to make no representations ... In more complex cases, a longer period may be necessary,' the barrister added.

Last month, several asylum seekers - along with the Public and Commercial Services union (PCS) and groups Care4Calais and Detention Action - told judges at the High Court that Rwanda is an 'authoritarian state' which 'tortures and murders those it considers to be its opponents'.

However, Home Office lawyers argued that the Rwandan authorities have given 'detailed assurances' over the processing of asylum claims and the ongoing treatment of individuals.

The hearing before Lord Justice Lewis and Mr Justice Swift is due to finish on Friday, with judgment in both cases expected at a later date. Rory Tingle, Home Affairs Correspondent For Mailonline , Source-Daily Mail

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

The Bishops of Rwanda and Burundi call for peace in the region

The Bishops of Rwand...

"The closure of borders hinders economic growth, social cohesion, and cultural exchange," declared t...

Sidmouth group raise over £6,000 for Uganda borehole

Sidmouth group raise...

Fourteen people walked a 13-mile route to raise funds for a borehole in a Ugandan village. The group...

66-Year-Old Scottish Man Jailed for Life After Killing His Kenyan Wife, Darrel Odhiambo

66-Year-Old Scottish...

Walter Buchanan, a 66-year-old Scottish man, has been sentenced to life in prison after he brutally...

UN condemns killing of 1,000 people in Gaza since ceasefire collapse

UN condemns killing...

© UNOCHA On the first day of Eid, humanitarians recovered the buried bodies of eight Palestinian Re...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.