Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

The four flashpoints of small boats bill as Rishi Sunak faces Tory rebellion lead by Theresa May© Provided by The i

Controversial plans to address the small boats crisis are set to become UK law after the Government defeated a final challenge posed by the House of Lords.

In a drama-fuelled night, the Tory frontbench successfully thwarted five further challenges from peers in Westminster, including modern slavery protections and child detention limits.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev Justin Welby – who has heavily criticised the bill – dropped his demand for a statement on tackling the refugee problem and human trafficking to the UK after MPs rejected a similar proposal.

This unexpected conclusion to the parliamentary struggle over the reforms – which had threatened to continue until the summer recess – now clears the path for the bill to receive Royal Assent.

The new laws play a central role in Rishi Sunak’s strategy to deter people from making dangerous Channel crossings in small boats.

They aim to prevent people from claiming asylum in the UK if they arrive via unauthorised means.

Additionally, the Government hopes these changes will expedite the removal of detained individuals either to their home country or to Rwanda, which is currently undergoing a legal challenge

Similarly, the Government was accused of seeking to inflict a “punishment beating” on peers for challenging the proposals.

Ministers urged the Lords to allow the bill through the Commons, with Home Office minister, Lord Murray of Blidworths, saying small boats had “overwhelmed” the UK’s asylum system, costing taxpayers £6m per day for accommodation provisions.

He said: “With over 45,000 people making dangerous Channel crossings last year this is simply no longer sustainable.

“If people know there is no way for them to stay in the UK, they won’t risk their lives and pay criminals thousands of pounds to arrive here illegally.

“It is therefore only right that we stop the boats and break the business model of the criminal gangs exploiting vulnerable people, ultimately enabling the Government to have greater capacity to provide a safe haven for those at risk of war and persecution.”

Dr Welby agreed on the need to stop perilous small boat crossings but said he cannot see how this bill does it.

“The problem with the bill is that it has not started at the right place,” he said.

“Where it needed to start with is to have a level of national consensus and agreement on what the aim of our migration policy and immigration policy is in the long-term.” Story by Connie Dimsdale, The I

 

Kenya’s President William Ruto has found himself between a rock and hard place as business and religious leaders push for a political truce to end the latest wave of political unrest while hawkish politicians in his ruling party demand the jailing of opposition leader Raila Odinga for his role in the anti-government protests.

Widespread protests over the high cost of living and increased taxes on Wednesday left more than 10 people dead and shut down the economy in the major towns and cities.

At least six people were shot dead by police last Friday during the demonstrations staged to coincide with the Saba Saba Day, informally marked every July 7 to celebrate the achievements of the pro-democracy movement that agitated for an end to the single-party rule.

Mr Odinga’s Azimio One Kenya Alliance coalition has called for more protests on Wednesday next week to ramp up the pressure on the Ruto administration to lower the cost of living, review the taxes introduced through the Finance Act and address its grievances over electoral justice and defections by opposition Members of Parliament to the government side.

But business lobbies are concerned a prolonged period of protests and uncertainty may cause the economy to collapse, estimating losses from closures and looting on Wednesday alone at Ksh3 billion ($21 million).

Wednesday’s protests were the worst in terms of their effect on the economy on a single day and national security since March when Mr Odinga’s Azimio One Kenya Alliance coalition launched its civil disobedience programme.

Demonstrations were witnessed in more than 20 of the country’s 47 counties while sections of the Mombasa-Nairobi highway used by truckers to transport goods to Kenya’s landlocked neighbours such as Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Southern Sudan from the port of Mombasa were blocked for the better part of the day.

They also sparked a flare-up of ethnic tension at the border of Kisumu and Kericho counties where media reports said at least two people were killed in bow and arrow attacks.

A religious leaders’ forum, bringing together clergy from the Catholic and Protestant churches, on Thursday warned that the new wave of social unrest threatens the country’s political stability and appealed to President Ruto to review the new tax policies.

“We fear that the growing sense of hopelessness will push the country into instability and possibly violence,” said the clergy in a statement signed by representatives of the Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops and the National Council of Churches of Kenya.

The clergy, who alongside US Senator Chris Coons played a crucial role in the initiation of bipartisan talks to end the March protests, also called on Mr Odinga to reconsider the mass action.

But President Ruto finds himself in a similar situation to the one in April when he said a number of his political allies opposed any rapprochement with the veteran opposition leader, whom he beat by a narrow margin in the August 2022 election.

The radical wing of his United Democratic Alliance (UDA) party opposed to the truce gravitates around Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua.

On Thursday, the president addressed public meetings in parts of his political strongholds in the Mt Kenya region where ruling party politicians, including Mr Gachagua, told him never to consider any truce with Mr Odinga and called for the opposition leader’s arrest and imprisonment.

Will president Ruto ignore them a second time? The ruling UDA has warned that it will mobilise its supporters to counter anti-government protests next week.

However, Azimio la Umoja leadership has vowed to shut down the economy next week, announcing that the protests will be held for three consecutive days — Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to inflict maximum pain.

The violence that was witnessed on Wednesday has raised alarm among the business community who lost millions of shillings due to looting and destruction of property, among them the expressway, which motorists pay toll charges to use. - OTIENO OTIENO, The EastAfrican

For five days, MSF teams vaccinated children between six months and 15 years in and around the capital of Vakaga prefecture

GENEVA, Switzerland, July 17, 2023/APO Group/ -- Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) teams have vaccinated more than 7,000 children against measles and other diseases in northern Central African Republic (CAR) to increase health protection for the local community and Sudanese refugees who have been relocated to the city of Birao.

 Following a measles epidemic alert, reported before the arrival of the refugees, a vaccination campaign was carried out here between 6 and 10 July. For five days, MSF teams vaccinated children between six months and 15 years in and around the capital of Vakaga prefecture.

"In addition to measles, we have included other antigens against pneumococcal, tetanus or diphtheria, in order to give a great immunity to children so they are protected against these preventable diseases", explains Nathanael Mwamba, medical leader of the MSF emergency team.

"The precarious living conditions in which refugees live, the proximity within the camp and the increased pressure on local resources are factors that can encourage the spread of disease".

We have included other antigens against pneumococcal, tetanus or diphtheria, in order to give a great immunity to children so they are protected against these preventable diseases

After the start of the war in mid-April in Sudan, 13,800 people fleeing violence arrived in CAR, according to the UN: they are mostly Sudanese refugees, but also Central African nationals who had fled their country during different periods of crisis.

While the first refugees chose to settle in the border town of Am-Dafock to reduce the distance that separated them from their relatives in Sudan, the Central African government decided to relocate them to the Korsi site in Birao. So far, 1,200 people have been relocated here, which is safer for people who are displaced and more accessible to humanitarian organizations. However, most of the refugees are women and children and many are reluctant to be resettled without the consent of the head of family.

The result is that around 90 per cent of refugees are still at the border, where they have insufficient assistance as very few humanitarian organizations are working there.

“In the Korsi refugee site, anyone can fall ill, our living conditions are very difficult. Here we are exposed to the bites of scorpions and snakes, and with the rain starting to fall, we are preparing for the worst because of the risk of malaria and other diseases”, says Moussa, a Sudanese refugee, father of eight children.

In order to support refugees who are arriving, MSF launched an emergency response here in early May. MSF currently runs a health post within the Korsi site focused on treating pediatric care. The post carries out around 200 consultations per week for illnesses such as acute respiratory infections, malaria or intestinal parasites.

MSF also provides mental health support, as many refugees have suffered violence, loss of loved ones and experienced other traumatic situations. Between 12 May and 10 July, MSF staff carried out 1,154 medical consultations and shared information with 1,463 people about mental health.

In addition, support is provided to the Birao district hospital. Capacities have been reinforced to prepare for a possible influx of wounded and critical cases are stabilized and then referred to the capital, Bangui, by plane, so patients can access necessary specialised care. Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Médecins sans frontières (MSF).

Rwanda Airports Company has chosen RESQTEC as its partner for the supply of aircraft recovery equipment, training and services.

The collaboration between Dutch firm RESQTEC and Rwanda Airports Company aims to enhance Kigali International Airport’s preparedness for runway excursions and reduce the impact on operations. By fostering collaboration and knowledge exchange, we aim to fortify the entire aviation ecosystem. Charles Habonimana, Rwanda Airports Company

By acquiring RESQTEC’s latest aircraft recovery technologies, including the innovative R2S lifting system, Kigali is projected to reduce runway closure time after an incident by more than 50%. The R2S lifting system is specifically designed to facilitate controlled and continuous lifting in one shot, accommodating the new generation of larger and heavier aircraft with innovative wing designs. The equipment is quick, easy to use, and highly durable, enabling swift removal of disabled aircraft without compromising stability or incurring secondary damages, RESQTEC said.

Rwanda Airports Company managing director Charles Habonimana said: “We are now better equipped than ever before to swiftly and effectively address aircraft incidents across all our facilities.

“Moreover, we stand poised to share our invaluable expertise with our neighbours in the region should the need arise. By fostering collaboration and knowledge exchange, we aim to fortify the entire aviation ecosystem, cultivating a safer and more resilient environment for all.”

Martijn Poen, international sales manager at RESQTEC, added: “Rwanda sets the standard for aircraft recovery preparedness in Africa. RESQTEC, together with our local Rwandan partner GBB Engineering, is honoured to be part of it.“

The project included the successful delivery and commissioning of the equipment, and training of the dedicated aircraft recovery team at Rwanda Airports Company. Airports International

Police are investigating an incident where a 38-year-old bodaboda rider was killed by a mob in Gwassi, Homa Bay county.

The rider identified as Wilson Otieno is alleged to have been involved in an affair with a preacher’s wife from the region.

 

His body was found by the roadside on the morning of Monday, July 17.

Otieno is said to have been beaten to death as a result of the affair with the spouse of the Pentecostal Evangelistic Fellowship of Africa (PEFA) Church pastor. 

According to area Chief Andrew Ombisa, the affair has been ongoing for a long time.

“The bodaboda rider has been in an affair with the pastor’s wife. He has been visiting her in the house whenever the pastor went out for religious functions,” Ombisa said.

Ombisa said the affair between the two was well known in the village. 

Suba Sub County Police Commander Caxton Ndunda said their preliminary investigations show that the rider regularly sneaked into the pastor’s house whenever he was not present.

“The preliminary investigations reveal that the pastor created a deliberate opportunity to allow the rider to enter the house because he had known their relationship. This seems to be the trap he laid to catch him,” Ndunda said. 

The police boss said the entire family disappeared after the incident.

“The whole family vacated the home immediately after the incident. What our officers found in the pastor’s house are remnants of primary school books,” Ndunda added.

“Let residents avoid taking the law into their hands. Investigations are going on.” 

Otieno’s body was moved to the Suba Sub-county hospital morgue in Sindo town. By James Omoro , The Standard

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

The Bishops of Rwanda and Burundi call for peace in the region

The Bishops of Rwand...

"The closure of borders hinders economic growth, social cohesion, and cultural exchange," declared t...

Sidmouth group raise over £6,000 for Uganda borehole

Sidmouth group raise...

Fourteen people walked a 13-mile route to raise funds for a borehole in a Ugandan village. The group...

66-Year-Old Scottish Man Jailed for Life After Killing His Kenyan Wife, Darrel Odhiambo

66-Year-Old Scottish...

Walter Buchanan, a 66-year-old Scottish man, has been sentenced to life in prison after he brutally...

UN condemns killing of 1,000 people in Gaza since ceasefire collapse

UN condemns killing...

© UNOCHA On the first day of Eid, humanitarians recovered the buried bodies of eight Palestinian Re...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.