It's understood a Polo collided head-on with a Mercedes Benz, and both drivers and five other people died on the scene.
JOHANNESBURG - Seven people died in a head-on collision in Limpopo on Sunday.
The crash happened at the R101 Sterkrivier Cross road within the Waterberg District.
It's understood a Polo hatchback sedan collided head-on with a Mercedes Benz sedan, and both drivers and five other people died on the scene.
Earlier in the day, a truck overturned on the N1 highway near Musina, killing one person and thus bringing the total number of people who died from accidents to eight in one day.
Limpopo Department of Transport's Vongani Chauke said they are concerned by the number of fatalities on Limpopo's roads.
“The number of fatal accidents happening during weekends is of great concern. Every week we receive reports of fatal reports during the weekends.
“MEC for Transport and Community Safety Florence Radzilani sends messages of condolences to the bereaved families. She has raised serious concerns about the number of fatal accidents that are reported during weekends in Limpopo province” EWN
DAR ES SALAAM, July 22 (Xinhua) -- Six athletes were killed and 16 others were injured on Saturday morning by a car as they were jogging on a road in Ilemela district in Mwanza region in northwestern Tanzania, said police.
Gideon Msuya, the Mwanza regional police commander, said the car knocked down the athletes as they were training at Lumula primary school.
"The victims were jogging along Sabasaba road to Kiseke area when the car knocked them, killing the six athletes on the spot," Msuya told a news conference.
He said the injured athletes were rushed to hospital where four of them were discharged after treatment.
Msuya said police have launched a manhunt for the driver of the car who fled after the accident. - Xinhua
The United Nations on Friday called for a stop to attacks on medical workers in Sudan, amid increasing violence in the war-torn country.
"Attacks on healthcare workers and facilities are a violation of international humanitarian law. They must stop now," UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said in a press briefing on Friday.
Dujarric added that the The World Health Organization (WHO) has verified more than 50 attacks on health workers since Sudan's conflict broke out in mid-April.
The statement followed an attack on Thursday on a Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF) team that was transporting medical supplies to Khartoum's Turkish hospital - one of only two hospitals operating in the Sudanese capital.
MSF said in a statement that attacks on its workers may force the aid group to withdraw operations completely.
"If an incident like this happens again, and if our ability to move supplies continues to be obstructed, then, regrettably, our presence in the Turkish Hospital will soon become untenable," said Christophe Garnier, MSF's emergencies manager for Sudan.
The fighting broke out last April following a power struggle between army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his former deputy, RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo. It has since claimed at least 3,000 lives.
Some 680,000 people have already fled Sudan, while over 2 million more are internally displaced. The New Arab Staff
Cape Town — According to News24, the South African government confirmed that Russian President Vladimir Putin will be arrested, following an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC), if he visits the country to attend the BRICS Summit in Johannesburg in August.
The decision comes days after, in an affidavit, President Cyril Ramaphosa cautioned that acting on the ICC's mandate would be considered a declaration of war. "Russia has made it clear that arresting its sitting president would be a declaration of war. It would be against our Constitution to risk engaging in war with Russia," said President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Additionally, official opposition party the Democratic Alliance (DA) approached the High Court in Pretoria to force the government to commit to arresting Putin. Previously, South Africa's International Relations and Cooperation Minister Naledi Pandor gazetted a notice providing diplomatic immunity to officials attending the BRICS summit.
The Presidency announced that instead of Putin, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov will be in attendance. South Africa, which is a signatory of the Rome Statute, is obliged to arrest Putin, who has been accused of war crimes by the ICC over his nation's protracted conflict with Ukraine. allAfrica
Dr Kennedy Omondi is nursing gunshot injuries on his left shoulder at Migori County Referral Hospital on July 20, 2023. He is among five people alleged to have been shot by the police during the anti-government protest. [Caleb Kingwara, Standard]
It was a three-day period of horror, marked by loss of lives and beatings, as the fangs of police brutality made a chilling return in Nyanza, leaving behind grieving families and maimed victims.
Hopes that the horrific scenes witnessed in 2017, which resulted in the tragic death of six-month-old Baby Samantha Pendo at the hands of rogue police officers, would be the final chapter of police brutality, were shattered as police officers responded to protests with brutal force.
Reports confirmed that four people have died in Kisumu since Wednesday.
As of yesterday, three patients admitted at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital (JOOTRH) had between eight and nine bullets lodged in their chests, as doctors struggled to save their lives.
The depth of their injuries highlights the brutal response police officers adopted to quell protests and spared no one who crossed their paths while hunting others in Kisumu’s slums.
Reports indicate that more than 70 patients were nursing gunshot wounds in hospitals across the region.
At the facility, a total of 21 casualties were received on Thursday alone. Although the number was a slight decline from the 37 cases that were handled by the facility on Wednesday, it highlights the severity of the brutal response by law enforcement to the protestors.
According to the facility’s CEO, George Rae, 14 of the victims of the protests on Thursday were admitted, while the medics at the facility also conducted 15 emergency operations.
This happened as the death toll from the protests in Kisumu alone rose to four between Wednesday and Thursday after another victim was shot dead in Kondele. Yesterday, at least four victims were taken to the facility as protests entered the last day.
At Kisumu District Hospital, the body of a second-year engineering student at Kisumu Polytechnic lay in the facility’s mortuary. He was among those who were shot as police officers dispersed protestors.
In Nyalenda slums, an evening of terror on Thursday and yesterday morning saw police officers leave six people nursing gunshot wounds.
The densely populated estate turned into a battle scene as police officers walked through corridors to engage protestors.
At Howic Medical Centre, six victims were treated for gunshot wounds. John Otieno, a doctor at the facility, said that five of the victims were shot with rubber bullets while one was shot with a live bullet.
“Most of the patients attended to yesterday had gunshot wounds, while several others suffered minor injuries from blunt objects,” he said.
Carlos Okoth, a 19-year-old who was shot in the knee, said he was attacked by a police officer dressed in civilian clothes at his doorstep. He said he had been washing dishes before the police officers raided his house.
“I saw people running away, and moments later, police officers riding motorcycles attacked me,” he claimed.
Bernard Ouma, a resident, said he witnessed police on motorbikes brutally attacking and shooting at civilians in the estate.
Victor Ochieng from Bondo, a victim of gun shooting at JOORTH on 20th July 2023. [Michael Mute, Standard]
“People had to lock themselves up in their houses from 4pm to 8pm for fear of being hurt by the police, who were shooting aimlessly at residents,” he said.
But Kisumu was not alone; a similar scenario was also reported in Homa Bay and Migori, where scores of people are also nursing gunshot wounds as police quelled protests.
In Homa Bay, several victims of police brutality are writhing in pain in various hospitals as they seek help from well-wishers. At Homa Bay County Referral Hospital, we met three survivors with bullet injuries on various parts of the body.
The victims sustained the injuries in Rongo town, Migori County, on Thursday evening. The worst victim was Lameck Owuor, a 28-year-old man who was shot in the neck.
Owuor, a resident of Rongo town, could not utter any word after being shot in the neck, which left his neck and mouth swollen.
Homa Bay County Referral Hospital Chief Executive Officer, Peter Ogola, said they were planning to transfer him to Kisii County Hospital for specialized medication. “We want to refer him to a specialist in Kisii,” Owuor said.
Derick Otieno, 18, a resident of Rongo, sustained a bullet injury on his upper right arm. Otieno said he was shot on his way from his workplace to his house.
“I was trekking from where I cook doughnuts when I encountered the police. I suddenly realised I had been shot,” Otieno said. He appealed to well-wishers to support him in meeting his medical bills. “The main concern is my health. I appeal to well-wishers to support me.”
Steve Olando, a 28-year-old resident of Rongo town, was in agony too. Olando sustained a gunshot wound on his left shoulder near Rongo Primary School. He was taken to Rongo Sub-county Hospital and referred to Homa Bay County Referral Hospital.
Olando said he was not part of the protestors. He said he was going to Kamagambo Police Station to find out the whereabouts of his niece, who had been arrested.
On Thursday morning, six people from Homa Bay town were admitted to Homa Bay County Referral Hospital with gunshot wounds.
Yesterday, activists and residents protested the alleged use of excessive force by the police. Efforts to get a comment from the police were futile. [Harold Odhiambo, Sharon Owino, Anne Atieno and James Omoro]
Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.
To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854. If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.
We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.