Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

Azimio la Umoja-One Kenya coalition party leader Raila Odinga has called off a rally that was scheduled to be held at Kamukunji grounds in Nairobi on Wednesday, July 12, 2023.

In a statement, Raila said that the opposition outfit was forced to call off the rally due to interference by the police with already one death reported. 

"In order to protect our people and avert more injury and loss of lives, we have taken the strategic decision not to proceed with the rally at Kamkunji this afternoon. In any case, the people have made the point," Raila said.

Raila says that the opposition had also received intelligence reports that government operatives were planning to plant goons to disrupt the rally by attacking the attendees.

"Late last night, we received intelligence of a most heinous plan by Kenya Kwanza to ferry armed goons who would attack peaceful attendees of our rally in Kamkunji. These goons had express orders to shoot directly into the crowd while enjoying police protection. Early this morning, our crew who had been sent to set up the stage at Kamukunji were attacked and their equipment damaged," Raila said. 

"Some were arrested. In line with the intelligence we received, armed goons have this afternoon descended on Kamukunji grounds and shot indiscriminately into the crowd. Police have used water cannons to disperse those peaceably assembled there."

 

Raila has accused the police of maiming and even killing protestors in different parts of the country, including Nairobi.

"Police have shot, injured and killed protesters in various parts of the country including here in Nairobi.  Scores of protesters have been arrested for participating in an exercise that is clearly protected by the Constitution.  As usual, it is the police maiming and killing people. Slowly, ours is degenerating into a police state," added.

Azimio has vowed to hold subsequent protests until President William Ruto liste

ns to their demands, which include a bipartisan reconstitution of IEBC, and halting interference with other political parties.

"It will be trial by fire many times, but we have been through trial by fire before. So, we soldier on. As Kenyans, we have a duty to liberate ourselves as we have always done. It has never been easy. It will not be easy but it has to be done," he added. 

Raila has promised that the coalition will announce a third wave of protests across the country. By Francis Muli, People Daily

Foreign Affairs CS Alfred Mutua. [Elvis Ogina, Standard]

Kenya is set to host 15 Heads of State and other delegates for a Mid-Year Coordination Meeting (MYCM) for economic and diplomacy integrations from Thursday, July 13.

The Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Affairs and Diaspora Relations, Alfred Mutua, has said that the fifth edition of the MYCM meeting scheduled to take place in Nairobi for a period of four days is aimed at enhancing trade and bilateral relations.

“I welcome all delegates to Kenya to attend and participate in the fifth Mid-Year Coordination Meeting, scheduled to take place from July 13 to July 16 in Nairobi. Karibu Kenya. We are honoured to host you,” Mutua said in a statement. 

The meeting is set to bring together the Bureau of the African Union, the eight Heads of State and Government who chair the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) including ;(Burundi - EAC, Djibouti - IGAD, Zambia- COMESA, DRC- SADC, Nigeria- ECOWAS, Chad- CEN-SAD, Libya - UMA, and Gabon - ECCAS); the African Union Commission and Regional Mechanisms (RMs).

At the same time, a meeting is scheduled for the Heads of State and Government on Sunday, July 16 at the United Nations in Gigiri, Nairobi. It is to be preceded by the 43rd Ordinary Session of the Executive Council of the African Union with the aim of approving the AU financial budget for 2024, assessing the implementation of AU decisions, and adopting new decisions on substantive issues of continental interest among others.

The objective of the meeting is to assess the status of continental integration and coordinate efforts to accelerate the integration process. 

Mutua said that Kenya hosting the meeting will be of global benefit by cementing the country’s legacy, whilst boosting the tourism sector during the period in which over 1500 delegates will be in attendance. 

in addition, he said that the country will launch the African Audio-visual and Cinema Commission (AACC) during the meeting which will create more youth employment. By Sharon Wanga, The Standard

 

A member of the Council of States, the upper house of Parliament, said that he was assaulted and thrown into jail by security forces who he suspected wanted to rob him of 200 USD in Juba.

Okello Ondongtoo Lawiri, who represents Eastern Equatoria State, told Radio Tamazuj on Tuesday night that he had gone to the market to buy food for workers who were fencing his land when he was manhandled by security officers at Hai Referendum.

“Last Sunday (2 July), I went to Hai Referendum, where I own a piece of land that workers were fencing off. I left the site and went to the market to buy food for the workers. I had USD 400 and removed 200 to change to local currency to use for buying items. However, people who claimed to be Criminal Investigation Department (CID) officers appeared and asked me where I got the money (dollars) I was holding,” he said.

 “So, I told them they cannot ask me such a question at my age and that I work and quizzed them if someone’s money was lost. They asked me who I was, so I removed my identity card and showed it to them. Another soldier from the Military Intelligence then grabbed my identity card, broke it into two, tossed the pieces away, and started beating me mercilessly,” he added.

“The rest, about six of them, joined in beating me, searched my car, and eventually took me to their station and dumped me in a cell,” Odongtoo continued.

The legislator pointed out that he sent a message to his office and the legal advisor to the Council of States came to the police post which is run by the joint operations unit which comprises the police and military and bailed him out.

“They just wanted to rob the money I was holding. All my belongings were eventually returned to me. Not all the security personnel at the station were bad but a few were terrible. I was in the jail for about 30 minutes and one of the officers saw my official identity card and I was moved out of the jail,” the legislator said. “I have not formally filed a case but our legal advisor and security officer got involved and recovered my property which remained at the station.”

MP Odongtoo said that parliament should follow up on the matter because security personnel are targeting legislators who they blame for not approving their budgets.

“When I identified myself as an MP, one soldier even said that I should be beaten more because lawmakers are eating well and enjoying while refusing to approve budgets for their (security) pay. Parliament does not even make budgets because that is the work of the legislature. The budget has just been brought to parliament,” he said.

 “It is my opinion that mine was not an isolated incident but that security operatives are targeting parliamentarians and this is an attack on parliament as an institution. I heard that they were told at their parade at the army headquarters that MPs are sitting on their budget. However, I do not know if this is true. If nothing is done, other MPs will fall victim due to the frustrations citizens are facing because the salaries of the organized forces and civil servants are so small and some earn as little as SSP 1,200 or 2,000 and this cannot feed a family,” Odongtoo added.

The legislator said people have a right to complain but that they should not misdirect their anger because the entire country is grappling with the prevalent economic difficulties and the issue will be resolved with time.

“Violence is not a solution,” he concluded.

Members of the national legislature enjoy immunity under the law.

The South Sudan constitution says no criminal proceedings shall be initiated against a member of the National Legislative Assembly or the Council of States, nor shall any measure be taken against his or her person or belongings without permission from the Speaker of the appropriate House, except where he or she is caught committing an offence for which the police may arrest without warrant.

It further says in case a member is charged with a serious crime, the appropriate House may waive the immunity of the member concerned. - Radio Tamazuj

Many migrants, like Francisca from Guinea, hope to use Tunisia as a springboard to cross the Mediterranean Sea into Italy.© Wahid Dahech

The remote militarized zone between Tunisia and Libya is as inhospitable as a region can be. There is nothing but sand and sea water, it is generally barred for visitors, humanitarian organizations or any form of trespassing. This is where Tunisian authorities had dropped off around 800 Sub-Saharan migrants for days until they were picked up again by Tunisian authorities on Monday night.

Migrants usually cross into Tunisia from other African countries with a tourist visa or no papers at all in the hopes of making it to Europe. Tunisian authorities pick them up off the street — and sometimes drop them off in the desert.

"The groups of Black refugees and migrants included children, women, pregnant women and they'd been left stranded in the Sahara with no shade, no food, no water," Monica Marks, Tunisia researcher and assistant professor of Arab Crossroads Studies at the New York University Abu Dhabi, told DW from the capital Tunis.

"The situation was absolutely horrifying, Tunisia's President Kais Saied was very much willing to allow Black refugees and migrants to die in Tunisia." 

Following the current outcry by human rights organizations, President Saied said in a statement on Sunday that migrants in his country are "receiving humane treatment emanating from our values and traits, contrary to what colonial circles and their agents are circulating."

But Lauren Seibert, a researcher at the NGO Human Rights Watch who focuses on refugees and migrant rights, told DW on Tuesday that "another group of several hundreds of Sub-Saharan migrants was bussed to the border with Algeria where they still remain without any aid."

The port city of Sfax in the south of the country is the second-largest city in Tunisia, and a well-known hub for Sub-Saharan migrants who want to cross the Mediterranean Sea into Europe as the nearest Italian islands are only about 130 kilometers (around 80 miles) away.

However, as the costly and dangerous journey is mostly organized via migrant smugglers, many migrants work for a while, some even years, in construction or private households in Tunisia to save up for the journey. Others just wait for the opportunity to cross, and very few decide over time to stay. In the past years, the Tunisian authorities have been quite reluctant to release visas or resident permits.

 

Growing anti-migrant sentiments in Tunisia

The latest crackdown against Sub-Saharan migrants by Tunisian authorities was sparked by the death of a 41-year-old Tunisian man earlier this month. He was stabbed to death in a fight between Tunisians and migrants, and the video of his funeral went viral on social media.

It is, however, not the first time that Sub-Saharan migrants in Tunisia are exposed to violent attacks by the local population and the government. By Jennifer Holleis, Tarak Guizani, DW

New down for Zimbabwe football as normalisation committee is unveiled. Pic: Sports Rifle

A new dawn has come for Zimbabwe after Fifa unveiled the Normalisation Committee which will run Zifa's affairs until June 2024 following the lifting of a suspension on the country.

Former Dynamos chairman Lincoln Mutasa will chair the four member committee unveiled at a press conference organized by the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) this morning.

Mutasa will be assisted by lawyer Nyasha Tashinga Sanyamandwe, former Mighty Warriors coach Rosemary Mugadza and ex-Highlanders defender Sikhumbuzo Ndebele. 

Fifa also confirmed the lifting of the suspension which will see Zimbabwe included in the 2026 World Cup draw set for tomorrow.

Fifa head of development programmes in Africa Solomon Mudege represented the international football body while Sports Minister of Kirsty Coventry was also in attendance. News Day

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

The Bishops of Rwanda and Burundi call for peace in the region

The Bishops of Rwand...

"The closure of borders hinders economic growth, social cohesion, and cultural exchange," declared t...

Sidmouth group raise over £6,000 for Uganda borehole

Sidmouth group raise...

Fourteen people walked a 13-mile route to raise funds for a borehole in a Ugandan village. The group...

66-Year-Old Scottish Man Jailed for Life After Killing His Kenyan Wife, Darrel Odhiambo

66-Year-Old Scottish...

Walter Buchanan, a 66-year-old Scottish man, has been sentenced to life in prison after he brutally...

UN condemns killing of 1,000 people in Gaza since ceasefire collapse

UN condemns killing...

© UNOCHA On the first day of Eid, humanitarians recovered the buried bodies of eight Palestinian Re...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.