Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

The government of the United Kingdom is contemplating reducing the number of student immigrants in the nation The UK is particularly concerned with ensuring that Nigerian students and other nationals only apply to top universities This is due to an increase in the number of students admitted and family members accompanying them. The United Kingdom government is working at ensuring student migrants from Nigeria, and other countries only apply to its top universities.

The Times UK reports that foreign students may be barred from Britain unless they win a place at a top university. UK prime minister, Rishi Sunak, who was quoted in the report, revealed the plans as the number of immigrants has crossed over 1.1 million.

UK prime minister Rishi Sunak is looking to reduce the number of student immigrants had earlier reported that the number of Nigerians leaving for the UK on a student visa is at a record high.  UK data showed that 34,000 Nigerians were issued visas in 12 months and were accompanied by 31,898 dependants. UK move to stop rising foreign student Sunak said: "We are investigating all alternatives to ensure that the immigration system delivers," he added, "including the issue of students' dependents and low-quality degrees."

The prime minister also added that “all options” were on the table to curb the estimated 1.1 million migrants, Guardian UK reports. Suella Braverman, UK home secretary, also remained committed to reducing migration. She said: "The public rightly expects us to control our borders and we remain committed to reducing migration over time in line with our manifesto commitment."

Data from the UK Statistics Authority showed that students accounted for the biggest proportion of immigrants, at 277,000, nearly double the 143,000 who came to the UK in the year to June 2021.  Peter Obi makes bold statement, reveals plot to clampdown on corrupt officials Guide on how to Apply for and Obtain UK student visa without hassles Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that recently, reports emerged that the United Kingdom has granted medical licenses to 266 Nigerians who relocated to that country in search of greener pastures.

The rush by Nigerians to leave the country has made countries worldwide develop special immigration laws allowing seamless visa application to their respective countries. Yearly, Nigerians in their thousands apply for a UK visa in different classes. Some get turned down for various reasons. By Dave Ibemere,  Legit

  • A collage image of Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja (left) and an aerial view of Nairobi County (right).  TWITTER SKYSCRAPER CENTER
 
  • Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja refuted claims that his administration doubled rates for Nairobi landowners.

    In a statement issued on Saturday, November 26, Sakaja maintained that his administration had adopted a new valuation scheme for accessing lands within the county.

    He also disclosed that the new valuation regime would only increase land rates by 0.115 per cent.  

    According to the governor, the new valuation formula would apply to residential, commercial and agricultural lands within his Nairobi jurisdiction.

    A signpost showing land for sale
    A signpost showing land for sale. FILE

    "No rates are doubling. We are simply adopting the new valuation roll, and rates are at 0.115 per cent of the unimproved site value," Sakaja's statement read in part. 

    "Last valuation was in 1980, this means there is only a slight increase from what residents have been paying," he added.

    Reports indicated that landowners would be compelled to pay double under the new county asset evaluation scheme contained in Finance Bill 2021.

    It indicated that land exceeding 0.4 hectares would attract a rate of Ksh4,800 from Ksh2,400.

    The move raised concerns as most aggrieved property owners lamented that it would set the stage for costly levies.

    In Nairobi, land valuation involves analysing a plot to determine the exact current market value.

    It helps landowners understand market resell value and the amount of credit one can acquire while using their land as collateral. 

    Valuation also aids in the calculation of taxes and lease value.

    It also enables the City Hall to increase its financial returns and match the current land prices in Nairobi and its satellite towns.

    The move came after the taxman launched a data collection exercise on rental properties along major roads in five Sub-Counties, including Langata, Dagoretti North, Embakasi East, Kasarani, and Kamukunji.

    A block of apartments in Nairobi.
    A block of apartments in Nairobi.  FILE  By Geoffrey Lutta, Kenyans.co.ke

INTERPOL and AFRIPOL collaborate in joint action against cybercrime

Law enforcement officials from 27 INTERPOL countries joined forces in the Africa Cyber Surge Operation to counter cybercrime across the continent. 

Against the backdrop of the huge financial losses suffered by companies, businesses and individuals, the four-month operation (July to November 2022) saw officers detect, investigate and disrupt cybercrime through coordinated law enforcement activities utilizing INTERPOL platforms, tools and channels, in close cooperation with AFRIPOL. 

Operational Results 

Coordinated from an INTERPOL Command Centre in Kigali, Rwanda, the operation focused on removing the enablers of cybercrime.

Among the operational highlights: 

  • 11 individuals were arrested, with one suspect linked to the abuse of children, and 10 others linked to scam and fraud activities worth USD 800,000 which had an impact on victims globally.
  • Authorities in Eritrea took down a Darknet Market that was selling hacking tools and cybercrime-as a-service components.
  • Multiple cryptocurrency scam cases were resolved in Cameroon, including one with an estimated financial impact upon the victim of more than CFA 8 million.
  • Tanzania recovered more than USD 150,000 of victims’ money from data infringement and copyright cases.
  • Action was taken against more than 200,000 pieces of malicious cyber infrastructure which facilitate cybercrime across the African Region. This included the takedown and clean-up of malicious
  • infrastructure linked to botnet activity, and the dissemination of mass phishing, spam and online extortion activities (e.g. romance scams, banking scams and theft of data) to potential victims. 

Participating countries were able to improve their own national cyber security by patching network vulnerabilities and cleaning-up defaced government websites and securing vulnerable critical infrastructure, thereby reducing the risk of potentially catastrophic attacks. 

Actionable intelligence 

Investigations were shaped by intelligence provided by INTERPOL’s private sector partners including British Telecom, Cyber Defense Institute, Fortinet’s FortiGuard Labs, Group-IB, Kaspersky, Unit 42-Palo Alto Networks, Shadowserver and Trend Micro. 

The information also contributed to the development of 28 INTERPOL Cyber Activity Reports that highlighted the various threats and types of criminal activity and outlined the recommended actions to be taken by national authorities. 

Participating investigators worked in their home countries in collaboration with National Cyber Emergency Response Teams, Internet Service Providers and Hosting Providers who were notified of the potential vulnerability in their network infrastructure within their jurisdictions. 

This collaboration proved very successful with 80% of identified ISPs engaging with law enforcement to mitigate the risks, identify weaknesses in their infrastructure and notify customers. 

Coordinated from an INTERPOL Command Centre in Kigali, Rwanda, the operation focused on removing the enablers of cybercrime

Of the participating countries, 18 have recognized Cyber Emergency Response Teams (CERTs), all of whom are actively working with law enforcement agencies and ISPs. Agreements have been set up between these organizations to formalize future responses. 

INTERPOL platforms 

An INTERPOL coordination team on the ground in Kigali offered real-time support, while investigators from participating countries made use of INTERPOL’s secure Cybercrime Collaborative Platform for Operations to update each other on progress, share intelligence and receive support. 

The Cyber Surge operation not only brought together many African member countries for the first time in a unified cybercrime operation but also helped build trust and establish valuable working relationships between them and with other partners. 

Developing capacity 

The Operation was preceded by a two-week training event in Kigali, Rwanda, which covered both cybercrime and cryptocurrency investigations. Delivered to 23 law enforcement agencies from 22 African countries, the course equipped participants with the knowledge and skills necessary for the Operation itself and will enable them to take proactive and sustainable action in the future. 

A debrief meeting held in Mauritius at the end of November allowed member countries to share successes, discuss challenges and identify areas for improvement. 

The Cyber Surge activities have also led to newly introduced legislative protocols and the establishment of a series of Cybercrime departments in member countries, which will further contribute to reducing the impact of cybercrime and protecting communities in the region. 

Acknowledgments 

The Africa Cyber Surge Operation was coordinated by INTERPOL’s Cybercrime Directorate and INTERPOL Support Programme for the African Union (ISPA) in collaboration with AFRIPOL. 

The Operation and related events were funded by the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office and the German Federal Foreign Office as part of their ongoing support to INTERPOL and AFRIPOL. Distributed by APO Group on behalf of INTERPOL.

Photo Courtesy Sky News
 

A man who died after staying at the Manston migrant processing centre in Kent did have diphtheria, the Home Office has confirmed.

A government spokesperson said initial local hospital tests were false negatives, and follow-ups showed that diphtheria may have been the cause of the man's illness.

Post-mortem examinations are ongoing, meaning the official cause of death cannot yet be confirmed.

Follow live updates in Sky's Politics Hub 

The man died in hospital last Saturday after becoming unwell.

It is understood he travelled to the UK by small boat and had been staying at the Manston centre in Kent.

The Home Office had initially said there was "no evidence at this stage" to suggest the death was "caused by an infectious disease", with people at the centre vaccinated against diphtheria after dozens of cases were confirmed.

'We take safety extremely seriously'

Last night, a government spokesperson said that "our thoughts remain with the family of the man who has died and all those affected by this loss".

"We take the safety and welfare of those in our care extremely seriously and are taking all of the necessary steps following these results," they added.

"We are offering diphtheria vaccinations to people at Manston, which has 24/7 health facilities and trained medical staff."

There had been criticism over the conditions in which migrants were being held at the centre, with outbreaks of diphtheria and scabies reported.

Manston is designed to hold up to 1,600 people for no more than 24 hours - but earlier this month there were about 4,000 on site, and temporary marquees had to be set up.

Centre emptied after weeks of unrest

Some migrants were threatening to self-harm and go on hunger strike, with unrest "spreading across the camp", Sky News was told.

A farmer from Eritrea said he slept on cardboard and was given cold hot dogs for lunch.

Others begged for help via a message in a bottle thrown over the perimeter fence.

The Home Office confirmed earlier this week that the centre was now completely empty.

Migration across the Channel is the biggest challenge facing Home Secretary Suella Braverman, who has been criticised for referring to the issue as an "invasion on our southern coast". Sky News

ODM leader Raila Odinga (centre) accompanied by Suna East MP Junet Mohamed (right) and Ugunja MP Opiyo Wandayi addresses the media at Jaramogi Odinga Foundation in Nairobi. PHOTO/Gerald Ithana.  

Azimio la Umoja - One Kenya coalition leader Raila Odinga on Friday, November 25, vowed to continue defending four electoral commissioners facing ouster over their conduct in the August presidential election.

The former Prime Minister made the remarks after President William Ruto told off the Azimio boss for opposing the hearing of four petitions lodged against the officials of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) at Parliament. 

In a tweet, Ruto asked the Azimio leader to keep off the process, saying under his administration the rule of law will have a say and "not the wishes of big men".

The Head of State alleged that Raila used the March 2018 political truce with retired President Uhuru Kenyatta to undermine oversight institutions in the previous administration.

"The lords of impunity, who destroyed oversight institutions using the handshake fraud, should allow parliament to hold rogue officials who put the nation in danger by subverting the democratic will of the people to be held to account," Ruto said in a tweet. 

"New order is RULE of LAW not wishes of big men."

 

But in a swift rejoinder, Raila maintained that the petitions seeking the removal of the commissioners were politically motivated to influence the outcome of the 2027 elections.

"There is due process and natural justice, things aren't just done at the whims of the executive. The rule of law must prevail and not your jungle laws that you want to institute so as to subjugate Kenyans to a conveyor belt system of elections come 2027. We shall not relent," Raila replied in a tweet. 

'Cherera four'

The four, IEBC Vice Chairperson Juliana Cherera, commissioners Irine Masit, Justus Nyangaya, and Francis Wanderi, rejected the presidential results announced by IEBC Chairman Wafula Chebukati on August 15, claiming the final tallying of the results was opaque. 

The four also filed affidavits supporting Azimio’s unsuccessful petition challenging Ruto’s win at the Supreme Court.

They have been summoned to appear before the Justice and Legal Affairs Committee (JLAC) for a hearing on four petitions seeking their removal from office for, among others, gross misconduct and abuse of office.

Yesterday, Raila, who attended the JLAC session, warned of a sustained fightback if Parliament proceeds with its plan to investigate the commissioners.

Flanked by Azimio top brass including Martha Karua and Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka, Raila said the decision by the committee to summon the commissioners would be vehemently opposed.  

Raila claimed the Legal Affairs Committee was being used by the ruling administration to go after the four for rejecting Ruto’s win.

“The injustice being inflicted on the four IEBC commissioners, if it proceeds as currently conceived, will mark the beginning of a massive pushback against Ruto and those who think like him, by the people of Kenya. We will openly and robustly lead that pushback,” Raila said.

He defended the four saying they had not been found culpable of any electoral malpractice. He instead redirected blame to Chebukati who, he said, was the only one indicted by the Supreme Court.

“The Ruto administration wants to take us back to the Nyayo regime of the 1980s. We want to sound a warning that no one should lie to this regime that we will sit back and watch a return to the Nyayo regime by another name,” Raila said.

Karua, who was Raila’s running mate in the elections, said the committee’s actions were politically motivated. According to her, it was an attempt to block Cherera, the IEBC’s vice-chair, from running the commission once Chebukati retires early next year.   

“This witch-hunt in Parliament is intended to prevent the vice-chairperson from taking over as provided for by the law,” she said.

Kalonzo, on his part, said the hearings were politically motivated. By , People Daily

 

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

Top 5 countries in Africa with the highest Schengen visa rejection rates

Top 5 countries in A...

High Schengen visa rejection rates persist due to difficulties in proving genuine intentions, econom...

Salim Swaleh Among Govt Officials Arrested During Crackdown in Mudavadi's Office

Salim Swaleh Among G...

Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi (left) and his Communications Director, Salim Swaleh durin...

The East African Business Africa states turn to information exchange to boost tax revenues

The East African Bus...

EOI requests are appeals by a country’s tax authority to another for disclosure of data on the fina...

3 MPs remanded over theft Shs 7.3bn cooperatives cash

3 MPs remanded over...

L-R: MPs Michael Mawanda Maranga, Ignatius Wamakuyu Mudimi, Paul Akamba and lawyer Julius Kirya in...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.