Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

 

On the sixth month anniversary of the detention on trumped charges of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) journalist Stanis Bujakera, Amnesty International’s Deputy Regional Director for East and Southern Africa, Sarah Jackson, said:

“The release of Stanis Bujakera is well overdue. His continued arbitrary detention is tantamount to judicial harassment, intended to send a chilling message to other journalists and all free voices in the DRC. This travesty must end. DRC authorities must immediately release Stanis Bujakera.

The release of Stanis Bujakera is well overdue. His continued arbitrary detention is tantamount to judicial harassment, intended to send a chilling message to other journalists and all free voices in the DRC.

Sarah Jackson, Deputy Regional Director, Amnesty International

“President Tshisekedi and his government must ensure the release of Stanis Bujakera and media freedom, as well as uphold the country’s international human rights obligations and address the flaws of the judicial system that lead to such injustices too often.”

Background

Journalist Stanis Bujakera was arrested on 8 September 2023.

A prominent reporter working for Reuters, Jeune Afrique and the Congolese online media Actualité.CD, Stanis Bujakera was charged with spreading false information after Jeune Afrique published an article allegedly implicating the Congolese intelligence services in the killing of the opposition politician Chérubin Okende in July 2023. Authorities last week concluded that Okende died by suicide and threatened to prosecute anyone who would question this conclusion.

On 27 February, a court in Kinshasa rejected Bujakera’s application for provisional release for the seventh time. He is due to appear in court again this Friday.

On 22 February, President Felix Tshisekedi stated that Bujakera was “perhaps a victim of the procrastination” of a “sick” judicial system and pledged to “at least for once stick [his] nose” into the case and “decide as appropriate”. Amnesty International

The United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, called for a one-month halt to fighting in Sudan during the holy month of Ramadan. This coincides with the Security Council’s expected vote on Friday on a British-drafted resolution demanding a truce.

In a meeting focused on Sudan, Guterres urged warring parties to lay down arms. He warned that the nearly year-long conflict risks escalating regional instability and further fracturing the country. 

“It’s time to silence the guns and amplify the call for peace,” Guterres said, advocating for a cessation of hostilities during Ramadan. “This ceasefire must lead to a permanent end to fighting nationwide and establish a clear path towards lasting peace.”

The 15-member council is expected to approve the resolution on Friday. It urges “an immediate cessation of hostilities leading into Ramadan.”

According to the Associated Press, the draft expresses “deep concern about the spreading violence and the worsening humanitarian crisis, including severe food insecurity, particularly in Darfur.” 

The conflict between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has caused a dire humanitarian situation, with 25 million people in need of urgent aid.

Sudan now faces the world’s largest internal displacement crisis, with 6.3 million people seeking refuge within the country since the conflict began. An additional 1.7 million have fled to neighbouring countries.

Russian response

While the United States backs the resolution, Russia appears to side with the Sudanese government. Russia’s Deputy Representative, Anna Evstigneeva, welcomed recent government efforts to improve humanitarian access. 

Evstigneeva emphasized the limitations of relying solely on aid deliveries from Chad. She called for increased deliveries through various government-controlled entry points. 

“The Sudanese authorities have demonstrated a willingness to work towards a positive resolution,” she said. “We believe this can be the foundation for a comprehensive settlement.”

She urged the “other party involved” to compromise and prioritize Sudan’s national interests. This aligns with the Sudanese government’s position, which seeks to distance itself from the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) labelled as “rebels”.

“It is no less important that the other party involved also embark on a path of compromise and be guided not by personal aspirations but by Sudan’s national interests,” Evstigneeva sid.

Algeria calls for coordinated peace efforts

Algeria, representing Mozambique, Sierra Leone, and itself, highlighted the worsening humanitarian situation and urged all Sudanese actors to declare an immediate ceasefire. They see the opportunity of Ramadan as a chance for appeasement and restraint, paving the way for lasting peace.

The representative also welcomed the facilitation of humanitarian access through border crossings and the announcement of new peace talks. However, they highlighted a lack of coordination between diplomatic efforts and stressed the importance of a unified approach, emphasizing the African Union’s role in resolving the crisis.

Additionally, they expressed concern about external actors potentially fuelling the conflict and called for a firm condemnation of such interference. (ST)

A giraffe strolling at the Nairobi National Park overlooking skyscrapers in the city. /KWS.
 

NAIROBI, Kenya, mar 7 – The Kenya Tourism Board (KTB) has embarked on a strategic partnerships engagement with county governments to unlock tourism potential in the different tourism circuits in the country.

The engagement which involves a comprehensive mapping framework is aimed at cataloguing all tourist attractions nationwide, seeks to revitalize the tourism sector and enhance visitor experience.

Through the partnerships, destination marketing agency will work closely with all 47 counties to identify unique selling propositions that will elevate tourist experiences and stimulate domestic tourism.

With 15 counties already profiled, complete with tailored itineraries, KTB anticipates a surge in local travel. KTB Acting CEO John Chirchir emphasized the timeliness of the program, envisioning a vibrant local tourism landscape.

“We encourage Kenyans to explore the diverse tourism offerings within our borders. Through effective marketing, local tourism can become a robust economic driver,” Chirchir affirmed.

Chirchir also called upon investors to capitalize on the myriad opportunities present in each county, highlighting the pivotal role of private sector engagement in enhancing tourism infrastructure and experiences.

“Collaboration with the private sector is essential for the evolution of tourism circuits across Kenya,” he added.

Commenting on the partnership, Nandi County Governor Stephen Sang called for strategic marketing of regional tourism blocs, noting it will be a key driver in unlocking tourism potential across counties in Kenya.

He emphasized the significance of collaboration and partnerships among counties, emphasizing the pivotal role of unified efforts in fully realizing Kenya’s tourism prospects.

 

“The country’s tourism potential is yet to be fully exploited. There is a need for the national government to work with the regional economic blocs and individual county governments to showcase what this country offers to the world,” stated Gov. Sang.

Governor Sang, who is also currently the Chair of the North Rift Economic Bloc (NOREB), underscored the untapped opportunities awaiting exploration, urging the government to extend promotional efforts beyond the traditional safari and beach narratives.

“The breadth of tourism offerings within the Rift Valley region alone is staggering, from the wildlife sanctuaries of Samburu to the historic landmarks in Turkana,” Governor Sang remarked.

“Additionally, our region boasts exceptional agri-tourism potential, spanning from the picturesque tea estates of Nandi to the flourishing fruit orchards of Elgeyo Marakwet and the transformative Turkwel Hydro programs. These are the experiences that captivate visitors,” he added.

His Makueni counterpart Mutula Kilonzo Jr emphasized the diversity in tourism offerings as a key component in Makueni’s tourism marketing.

“Makueni is renowned for various tourism offerings, ranging from hospitality and nature-based products. On top of the incredible hospitality facilities available in the different towns in Makueni County, visitors will also find a community that is very peace-loving and welcoming. So apart from the peaceful nature of our environment, you will also get to enjoy being among the people and get to feel at home,” he said. Capital News

The IEBC Amendment Bill is co-sponsored by National Assembly Majority Leader Kimani Ichungwa and Minority Leader Opiyo Wandayi.[Samson Wire. Standard]

Parliament has proposed a raft of radical changes with far-reaching consequences to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).

The proposals have been introduced through the IEBC (Amendment) Bill, 2024 which is one of nine Bills being considered by the August House that seek to  give life to the recommendations of the National Dialogue Committee (Nadco) report.

The Standard has since established that the Bill moves to cure the ills of the hotly contested August 9, 2022 General Election, ring-fence the powers of the IEBC chair and further extend the number of the IEBC selection panel from the current seven to nine. 

It also seeks to give effect to some of the recommendations and views of the public that were submitted during the national dialogue discourse on the issues of electoral Justice and related matters; outstanding constitutional matter, fidelity to political parties /coalitions and the law on multiparty democracy; entrenchment of the National Government Constituency Development Fund, the Senate Oversight Fund and the National Government Affirmative Action Fund and establishment and entrenchment of state officers. 

Key among the recommendations of the Bill is the amendment of section 7A of the Principal Act by deleting sub-section (4) and (5)

Sub-section (4) of the Act states that whenever a vacancy occurs in the office of the chairperson, the vice-chairperson shall act as the chairperson and exercise the powers and responsibilities of the chairperson until such a time as the chairperson is appointed.

Sub-section (5) dictates that where the positions of the chairperson and vice chairperson are vacant, a member selected by members of the commission shall act as the chairperson and exercise the powers and responsibilities of the chairperson until his or her replacement is appointed. 

Deleting of the two sub-sections would consequently mean that only the chairperson can carry out his/her responsibilities- including announcing of the presidential results- and that his vice chair and other members cannot take up his functions in his absence.

The import of this is that a vacancy in the office of the chairperson would stall operations of the commission given he is the electoral agency’s spokesperson. 

The Bill co-sponsored by National Assembly Majority Leader Kimani Ichungwa and Minority Leader Opiyo Wandayi also proposes amendments to ensure that the decision of the commission be either by unanimous vote or by majority vote.

“Unless a unanimous decision is reached, a decision on any matter before the commission shall be by the concurrence of a majority of all the members of the commission,” reads the Bill in part.

IEBC Vice Chairperson Juliana Cherera accused former Chair Wafula Chebukati of 'cooking' presidential results in the 2022 General Election.[File, Standard]

And on the position of the Secretary to the IEBC, the Bill has proposed a reduction in tenure from the current five to three years.  

“The secretary shall hold office for a term of three years and may be eligible for re-appointment for one further term of three years,” reads the Bill.

To seemingly cure the mishaps experienced during the last General Election, the Bill has proposed a review of the operations of IEBC within one year after the polls and later make the required changes.

“The review shall be completed within one year after every General Election and the commission shall publish the report in the gazette and submit the report to parliament,” reads the Bill.

On the IEBC selection panel, the Bill has called for expansion of members from the seven to nine.

The nine-member selection panel shall consist of two persons nominated by the Parliamentary Service Commission and representing the majority and minority parties, three persons nominated by the Political Parties Liaison Committee, one person nominated by the Law Society of Kenya, one person nominated by the institute of certified Public Accountants of Kenya and two persons nominated by the Inter- religious Council of Kenya.

On the dissolution of the selection panel, the Bill provides that the nine-member panel shall finalize the recruitment within 90 days of its appointment and forward the names of nominees to the President and shall thereafter stand dissolved.

“The selection panel existing immediately at the commencement date of this Act ceases to exist but a person who served as a member of that selection panel may be nominated to serve as a member of a selection panel appointed under this Act,” it reads.

The Bill is currently in its first reading stage. By Josphat Thiongó , The Standard

 

Related Topics

 

March 6, 2024 (NAIROBI) – South Sudan’s Transitional Government has deliberately kept its institutions weak in order to promote dictatorship and corruption, the National Consensus Forum (NCF) said in a statement issued on Wednesday.

The statement comes after the economic cluster unveiled plans to control hiking consumer prices, allaying fears inaction of popular uprising in a country grappling with the rising cost of living caused by a host of economic, security and political issues.

This was at a meeting chaired by President Salva Kiir and attended by the governor of the central bank, James Alic Garang, presidential adviser on security affairs Tut Gatluak, and the senior presidential envoy on special program Benjamin Bol Mel and the minister of Presidential Affairs, Joseph Bangasi Bakosoro.

NCF is an umbrella organization comprising 21 South Sudanese political, civil society, women, youth and faith-based organizations and the academic and professional association and represents a major segment of the South Sudanese society.

The forum, however, called on South Sudanese citizens to disregard entirely, the empty “Statement of the Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity on the Current Political, Security, and Economic Situation in the Country”.

“The statement has nothing to do with the suffering of the ordinary citizens. It was merely a loud cry of the Juba-based political elites when it suddenly dawned on them that the enormous oil proceeds, they have been mismanaging with complete disregard for the welfare of the citizens, are rapidly drying up,” it said.

It accused the parties and their unity government for failing to communicate a coherent and unified message to the South Sudanese public, stressing that it demonstrates how they are running a Transitional Government of National “Disunity” characterized largely by disagreements and lack of progress.

Since independence, NCF said, there has been unlimited goodwill and support from different countries and international partners to support South Sudan’s government leaders in building the security sector, financial management institutions, and the whole bureaucratic infrastructure of the country.

However, the country’s leaders frustrated all those efforts and went on to weaken those institutions. For example, it said, the security sector was largely privatized, filled with tribal militias, and repurposed to pursue narrow individual political interests. The rest of the institutions are denied political and financial support.

According to the forum, public officials who demonstrated honesty in their attempts to strengthen and transform the institutions are dismissed and punished.

“Many qualified South Sudanese who left their comforts in the diaspora to return home after independence and contribute to the reconstruction of the country were frustrated, arrested, detained, tortured and others killed,” it stressed.

Meanwhile, the coalition forum said the Juba government erred when it said it made enormous progress on human rights issues in which it went ahead to criticize and accuse the UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan of intrusion and expansion of its mandate in monitoring the implementation of the peace deal.

NCF said it believes these accusations and conditions are merely expressions of guilt and the government is fighting the UN body because of its detailed reports on human rights abuses in South Sudan that implicate government agencies.

“Instead of cooperating with the Commission and implementing its recommendations to improve the human rights situation in the country, the government wants to remove the radar and continue to abuse human rights with impunity,” it stressed.

Meanwhile the NCF called on the parties in the peace agreement to abandon their unrealistic pursuit of elections or extensions of themselves in power and instead engage the country in an all-inclusive national political dialogue. - Sudan Tribune

(ST)

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

In Uganda, a Yale doctor helps train the first interventional radiologists at public hospitals

In Uganda, a Yale do...

In early June, radiologist Eva Nabawanuka had a patient with a ruptured liver tumor. The patient wa...

Exclusive women's store opens in Karen as Kenya positions itself as China's gateway to Africa

Exclusive women'...

Official Opening of an exclusive shop for female merchandise targeting women between the ages 25 to...

LSK says corruption biggest threat to 2010 constitution

LSK says corruption...

Maeche applauded the 2010 constitution saying, with devolution put in place, marginalized communitie...

Universities need to serve as incubators of innovation – AfDB VP Nnenna Nwabufo

Universities need to...

IEA News Universities are essential partners in Africa’s development, and the African Development Ba...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.