Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

Joshua Adam Schulte had been convicted of espionage, computer hacking, making false statements, as well as handling child pornography   

A former CIA officer has been sentenced to 40 years in prison for espionage and computer hacking – reportedly one of the largest data breaches in US history – as well as handling child pornography and other charges, a federal court in New York City has announced.

Joshua Adam Schulte’s illegal transmission of stolen information to WikiLeaks constitutes the "largest data breach in CIA history," said a statement by the U.S. Attorney's Office of the Southern District of New York on Thursday.

Among his offenses, Schulte handed over an over 8,500-page document to WikiLeaks containing information about how the spy agency infiltrated not only Apple and Android software but also smart TVs, it added.

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said: "Joshua Schulte betrayed his country by committing some of the most brazen, heinous crimes of espionage in American history. He caused untold da  mage to our national security in his quest for revenge against the CIA for its response to Schulte’s security breaches while employed there. 

'Digital Pearl Harbor'

The prosecutors in the case said that the material released by Schulte significantly and detrimentally impacted the CIA's intelligence-gathering capabilities. They stressed that Schulte's actions threatened CIA personnel, projects, and documents, resulting in millions of dollars in damage to the organization.

"Mr. Schulte severely harmed U.S. national security and directly risked the lives of CIA personnel, persisting in his efforts even after his arrest," said Assistant Attorney General Matthew G. Olsen.

During the trial, the ex-CIA Deputy Director of Digital Innovation said Schulte’s actions amounted to a "Digital Pearl Harbor," referring to the devastating 1941 Japanese attack on US naval forces in Hawaii.

Schulte, who denied the accusations against him, was found guilty in three separate trials, in 2020, 2022, and 2023, on such charges as illegally gathering and transmitting national defense information, making false statements, and receiving and transporting child pornography. By Gizem Nisa Cebi, Anadolu Agency

 

The Salaries and Remunerations Commission (SRC) has filed a petition seeking to compel sitting judges to recuse themselves from the car grant case with the Judicial Service commission (JSC).

According to the commission, only retired judges should be appointed to hear the matter.

The commission through lawyer Peter Wanyama told Justice Chacha Mwita, Patricia Nyaudi and Lawrence Mugambi that the Judges cannot sit and determine a petition that will confer an economic benefit to them.

The lawyer said the matter can only be determined by three retired Judges of the Court of Appeal, appointed by the President, and drawn from the commonwealth.

“THAT the Honourable Judges presiding over this case, along with all other Judges in the Republic of Kenya, have a direct pecuniary interest in the outcome of the matter” Wanyama submitted.

Wanyama told the bench “ THAT justice must not be done but be seen to be done. It is a taboo in litigation for judges to determine a matter where they are the ultimate beneficiaries of the final decree.”

Wanyama further Submitted “THAT the potential impact on public perception and confidence cannot be overstated.”

He stated that allowing judges who have a direct pecuniary interest to preside over this case raises legitimate concerns on the judiciary’s fairness and impartiality which undermines the public’s trust in the judicial process.

The application for recussal was supported by the Attorney General through Emmanuel Binta who in his submission said that judges will not make an impartial decision of a petition pending before them. 

He said the petition filed by Peter Gachuiri through Ongoya seeks a direct benefit for all judges. They will not at the final finding dismiss the same.

The petitioner through Ongoya told the bench that the court has always made decisions independently without interfearance and urged the bench to dismiss the recusal application.

Ongoya’s submission was supported by Judicial Service Commission Issa Mansur who tabled several authorities from the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court showing how judges have handled matters independently and without prejudice or biasness.

The bench will deliver their ruling on February 23. By John Osoro, Capital News

South Sudan map featuring Lakes state in red [Photo via Wikipedia]

The conflict involved Luanyjang cattle herders from Warrap State and Pakam youth from Lakes State. JUBA – At least 19 people were killed, and 35 injured during deadly inter-communal violence on Wednesday in Rumbek North County. 

Kayembe, first elected Black person as school’s rector, shared her story with Anadolu to ‘give courage and strength to other people’ 

ISTANBUL

Debora Kayembe, the first elected Black person as rector of Edinburg University, detailed her life that sheds light on the struggles she faced as an African woman seeking education and refuge in the UK.

Kayembe, who became the first female African to have her portrait hung in the Royal Society of Edinburgh, recounted her journey from the Congo to the UK and her path to becoming a rector.

Kayembe emphasized the significance of sharing her journey from the Congo with the world.

“It is very important. A story is like mine to be told to the world because they can give courage and strength to other people,” Kayembe told Anadolu.

“I went through difficult times, very difficult ones, but I never look back. Even in the places where I was completely desperate, I was always hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel. I never give up, never,” she said,

Born into a wealthy family in Kinshasa, Kayembe expressed early aspirations to pursue law due to her interest in human rights.

Witnessing extreme poverty and deprivation at 18 sparked her activism, leading her to advocate for human rights locally and internationally.

“One day I wanted to go to the poorest area of my country. And that day I saw a child who was starving for food and he was screaming because he didn't eat for two days. So, I ran home to my parents’ house because we had money in the house. I took the money, I took the food,” she said. “I went to give to this family and the person told me you want to see how we live in this part of the country. What I saw shocked me. It was people not having anything to eat at all. So that wanted me to choose to fight for human rights. That was way before I went to university.”

Following her studies, Kayembe seized the opportunity to intern at the United Nations Human Rights Office in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where she encountered challenges due to the oppressive regime and lack of respect for human rights.

“I practice law in court as well as continue campaigning for human rights. So throughout my work for human rights, I had some struggles because I stood for human rights in the country. It was a dictatorship and the rights of individuals were not respected.

“So when I did an investigation on the eastern part of my country, my life was a threat. So, I left and I came to the UK in 2005 and I sought asylum as a refugee,” she said.

Reflecting on her departure from Congo in 2004 and seeking asylum in the UK in 2005, Kayembe noted obstacles she faced, including skepticism from UK immigration authorities and racial discrimination when she arrived.

“The first year was difficult, the UK immigration did not believe in my story and because I came into the country without anything with me, it was difficult to prove who I was,” she said.

“One of the things I saw was racism,” she noted.

“You can see people not believing that you are an educated person because you are African and because you are black, they just assume you're not intelligent. They just assume you've never been to school. So, there was this stereotype around a black woman.”

Unable to practice law in London due to bureaucratic hurdles, Kayembe found solace in Scotland, where her qualifications were recognized. In Edinburgh, she continued her human rights advocacy work.

Recalling she spoke in the Scottish parliament for the 30th anniversary of the Scottish Refugee Council, Kayembe said afterward she was invited by the Scottish Youth Academy, affiliated with the Edinburgh Royal Society, where she began to work as a volunteer.

Recalling the time she worked at the Royal Society in Edinburgh, Kayembe said: “There was a portrait of the most intelligent people in the world, people who have changed the world, people who made an impact in the world. They're all white men wearing fine robes. And I get there, I look at it, I said, ‘Oh my God, what am I doing in this place? The next time there'll be a black person here, it'll be in 1000 years. Not now, no way.’”

But, in 2019, she became the first African to have her portrait erected on the walls of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, honoring her achievements and contributions.

“So I was then the first black person to have a portrait collected at the World Society of Edinburgh,” she said.

Despite her achievements, Kayembe faced backlash from racists, including threats to her life. However, she remained undeterred, organizing the Freedom Walk campaign in 2021, which led to her invitation to serve as rector at the University of Edinburgh. * Writing by Seda Sevencan, Anadolu Agency

 

U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, chair of the Congressional Equality Caucus, sent a pointed letter to the Fellowship Foundation, the right-wing group also known as the Family. 

U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, chair of the Congressional Equality Caucus, is demanding to know if the right-wing group known as the Fellowship Foundation, a.k.a. the Family, is supporting Uganda’s Anti-Homosexuality Act.

The act, passed last year, provides for a sentence of life in prison for consensual same-sex relations and the death penalty in certain circumstances. It also requires that citizens report anyone they suspect has violated the law. It replaces a similar law that was passed a decade ago, although without the death penalty provision, and was struck down by Uganda’s highest court, not because of its content but because of the manner in which it was adopted. The new law is being challenged in court as well. 

The Fellowship Foundation, while based in the U.S., has been cozy with anti-LGBTQ+ African leaders for years, but there is particular concern about its work in Uganda. “Since the passage of [Uganda’s] first Anti-Homosexuality Act a decade ago, there have been numerous reports linking both bills, their authors, and the larger movement to further criminalize LGBTQI+ people in Uganda to the Fellowship Foundation/the Family, and its associates,” Pocan wrote in his letter, released Tuesday and addressed to the foundation’s president, Katherine Crane. 

“At Uganda’s National Prayer Breakfast in 2023, which the Fellowship Foundation helped support — including by flying in Rep. Tim Walberg to speak — speakers called LGBTQI+ advocates ‘a force from the bottom of Hell,’ said they would ‘destroy’ ‘the forces of LGBTQ,’and spoke in support of the Anti-Homosexuality Act,” Pocan continued.

“In addition, Rep. Walberg told the participants to ‘stand firm’ in response to international pressure against Uganda, though he later said his statement was not in support of the Anti-Homosexuality Act, as imposing the death penalty against LGBTQI+ people is antithetical to Christian values. President Museveni later said at the breakfast that there are Americans who ‘think like us,’ illustrating how proponents of the Anti-Homosexuality Act in Uganda point to certain Americans’ statements to justify their own support for this draconian law.” 

Walberg is a Republican member of the U.S. House from Michigan. Pocan, a gay man, is a Democratic member from Wisconsin. Pocan noted that there have also been concerns about the foundation’s U.S. National Prayer Breakfast, which has caused that to split into two events.

Pocan asked Crane to provide information on the foundation’s communications with Ugandan officials regarding the Anti-Homosexuality Act; whether the foundation supports or opposes the law and, if it opposes the measure, if it will publicly announce its opposition to it and other bills that criminalize LGBTQ+ people, especially those that impose the death penalty; the foundation’s financial support for advocacy activities in Uganda and what other countries the foundation provides similar support in; and if members of the new National Prayer Breakfast board are affiliated with the foundation. By , Advocate

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

U.S. Forces conduct strike against ISIS-Somalia

U.S. Forces conduct...

At the request of the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted a coll...

Renewed deadly RSF shelling strikes North Darfur camp

Renewed deadly RSF s...

Sudanese woman stands with her child who is being treated for malnutrition at a nutrition stabilisa...

TotalEnergies grows renewable capacity with new deals in Germany, Uganda, Canada

TotalEnergies grows...

BAKU, Azerbaijan, April 2. TotalEnergies has completed the acquisitions of VSB Group, a European win...

Church leads climate literacy campaign in schools and churches

Church leads climate...

Teachers and pastors undergoing a two day Ocean Climate Literacy session at a Malindi hotel in Kili...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.