Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

MANYARA, Tanzania

The aftermath of heavy rainfall on Sunday night resulted in devastating floods in northern Tanzania, killing 49 people and injuring more than 85 others in the Manyara region, officials confirmed on Monday.

Queen Sendiga, Manyara regional commissioner, told reporters that the death toll has risen from to 49 from 47 reported a day earlier after two more dead bodies had been recovered from mud.

“We expect the death toll to rise as some people are still missing,” she said.

Sendiga attributes the deaths to a barrage of landslides triggered by torrential rains that pounded the impoverished region, causing part of Mount Hanang to erode and bury nearby homes.

“The government has deployed security forces from the military, police, fire, rescue, and other organs to help with rescue operations,” Sendiga told Anadolu.

The impact of the floods has been particularly severe in the Gendabi ward and the central area of Katesh town, the administrative headquarters of the Hanang district. Homes and residences were swept away by mudslides, leaving some individuals feared to be trapped.

Sendiga said the floods have rendered the highway from Katesh to Singida region impassable due to the debris, as houses and trees have been engulfed.

Samson Kileo, a Hanang resident, called for government intervention to repair damaged infrastructure, including roads and homes.

President Samia Suluhu Hassan, currently in Dubai attending the UN climate change conference COP28, expressed deep regret for the incident. She symphathized with the flood victims and directed all government forces to focus on rescue operations and preventive measures in the affected area.

“We have received with great regret the news of heavy rain in the Manyara region causing damage to Katesh. We console to the victims of the incident. I have directed all government efforts to be focused on rescue operations to prevent further disasters,” Hassan said.

The incident has prompted a shift in government priorities, redirecting efforts from the environmental meeting in Dubai to address the urgent crisis in Hanang. The president acknowledged the disappointment caused by the incident, attributing it to unforeseen circumstances.

A remarkable incident emerged that reflects the strength of the human spirit and the power of collective action in times of crisis.

Reports have surfaced of a harrowing episode involving a 9-year-old boy who found himself trapped in the swift currents of cascading muddy water, interwoven with debris and logs, as it flowed down from higher grounds.

The vivid image of the child, devoid of clothing, caught in the treacherous stream, paints a grim picture of the vulnerability faced by Hanang’s residents during this natural disaster.

Onlookers, spurred by the sound of a crying child, did not hesitate to plunge into the water with courage that defied the severity of the situation.

“We had to hold our hands and move slowly to where the baby had been trapped to rescue him,” said Michael Qorro, a resident of Hanang.

Miraculously, the rescuers managed to reach the stranded boy and pull him to safety. The fact that he emerged from such a perilous situation with only bruises surprised the rescuers who rushed to his aid. 

Despite the traumatic experience and the force of nature he faced, the boy was in good health. By Kizito Makoye Shigela, Anadolu Agency

President William Ruto has arrived in India, where he is expected to conduct a two-day state visit.

During the visit, he will engage in bilateral talks forging healthcare partnerships, particularly in pharmaceuticals production and capacity building, and collaboration in education.

State House Spokesperson Hussein Mohamed said President Ruto will meet with India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi where the talks will lead to the signing of several memoranda of understanding that will strengthen ties between the two countries.

He said President Ruto will also meet with President Droupadi Murmu to address trade and investment forum highlighting the immense potential for economic cooperation between Kenya and India.

Ruto will also meet with President Droupadi Murmu to address trade and investment forum highlighting the immense potential for economic cooperation between Kenya and India. By Sharon Resian, Capital News

Kenneth Mugabi performing at Kampala Serena Hotel, Uganda on November 24, 2023. PHOTO | DANIEL GILBERT BWETTE | KARIZM

The "People of the Land" concert by the Ugandan guitarist and crooner Kenneth Mugabi held at Kampala Serena Hotel on November 24, 2023 lived up to the hype.

Accompanied by Cherubim Choir, the Afro-soul artiste opened his show held at the Victoria Hall with his song Neyanziza off the 2017 album Kibun’omu and kept his fans on their feet.

Mugabi, who played the acoustic guitar, tube fiddle and vocals, performed some of songs with other artistes, including Naava Grey, Xenson Ssenkaaba, Happy Kyazze, Ronnie Bukenya, Myko Ouma, and James Ssewakiryanga.

Read: Mya on music and her purpose in life

Ebrahim Soul’O, Mitch Isabirye, and Andereya Baguma fused the spoken word, poetry, and music – much to amusement of the audience.
Mugabi went against norm of most Ugandan musicians, who have curtain-raisers before the main act.

“The poster didn’t advertise any other artiste. As the host of the show, I had to do the honours. I open and close the door for my guests,” he said. 

Mugabi, who titled the concert after his latest album People of the Land, says he calls his music “Live Ugandan Soul — a mixture of what was, what is, and what could be."

Regarding the current state of the music industry in Uganda, Mugabi observed: “The Ugandan audience is now exposed enough to know what they want and need at a certain time. Anyone can be a star as long as they are true to themselves and their art.”

About the trend that the music industry taking regarding the physical sales of records versus streaming, he said, “The industry is currently about streaming. However, my projection is, we could go back to physical sales and merchandise.”

Read: ‘Legends of Sound’ concert rocks despite poor sound

As to whether there is a potential for music streaming in Uganda in the face of high cost of the internet, he said: “Ugandans watch a lot of YouTube and TikTok but, despite the high cost of internet, they still support us (by buying records).”

Mugabi’s debut 12-track album titled “Kibun’omu” was released in 2016. It includes the title track Kibun’omu, Naki, Nambi, Omusheshe, Katambaala, Wakikere and Mumulette, among others.

He followed it up with “Ugandan” in 2019 and “People of the Land” in 2022. By BAMUTURAKI MUSINGUZI, The East African

Turkiye expressed its support and optimism following the U.N. Security Council's landmark decision to lift the longstanding arms embargo on Somalia, anticipating a positive turn for the country's future.

In an official statement, the Turkish Foreign Ministry hailed the Council's move as historic, anticipating it to pave the way for peace, prosperity, and renewed hope for Somalia.

"We wish this historic decision will usher in a new era which will sow the seeds of peace, prosperity, and strong hopes for the future of Somalia," the statement read.

Affirming its unwavering support, Turkiye vowed to stand by the people of Somalia, reinforcing its commitment to aid and cooperation as the nation transitions into this new phase.

"Ankara, as always, will continue to stand by the people of Somalia and support Somalia in this new era," the Foreign Ministry emphasized.

The Security Council's unanimous decision voted upon on Friday, marked the end of the arms embargo on Somalia's government and its security forces. The embargo, initially imposed in 1992, was a response to the country's then-conflict and the worsening humanitarian crisis. Source Turkiye

A collage of KTN News and K24 TV studios.

The Kenya Union of Journalists (KUJ) has penned a letter to three media houses in Kenya after receiving distress calls from journalists.

The statement dated Sunday, December 3, indicated that some journalists from the Standard Group, Mediamax and Radio Africa Group had gone for 10 months without pay. 

KUJ Secretary General Erick Oduor noted that the salary crisis had become the biggest threat to media freedom in Kenya.

"We have received distress calls from three media houses mainly, The Standard Group PLC, Mediamax and Radio Africa Group that have not paid their staff and correspondents for about 10 months in the wake of difficult economic times and high cost of living in the country," read the statement in part.

"Let me remind media owners that they are operating in a space where public trust is paramount and, therefore, they cannot hold other people to account if their own hands are not clean."

He further accused media owners of living large at the expense of their workers, some of whom saw their children go to bed hungry or drop out of school entirely. 

The union is therefore demanding that corporate governance be included in the checklist before any company is allowed to do business with the government and private sector.

Oduor further demanded that all media houses should be required to provide proof of payment of salaries before accessing government advertising and challenged Parliament to pass legislation to put in place regulations that set minimum pay for journalists.

"Corporate governance is becoming a new threat to media freedom in Kenya where managers are not concerned with the welfare of their employees, yet they expect to play a watchdog role for the common good of the society," he added.

The union further pointed an accusatory finger toward the state for non-payment for advertising services offered to them. 

Oduor, therefore, demanded the state to settle their pending bills and to stop using advertising as a blackmail tool to cripple the media.

The demand comes a month after the union sent an ultimatum to the Standard Group to settle salary arrears for its members at the organisation.

“We cannot be championing and calling out for the rights of journalists when employers are the ones who are violating the rights of the journalists, who will respect journalists if employers do not? We will have a solidarity strike in support and solidarity with our colleagues at Standard Group," posed Oduor.

In his recent letter, he acknowledged that 'something was done' but urged the outlet to ensure it fully complies with their agreement. By Derick Okubasu, Kenyans.co.ke

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

U.S. Forces conduct strike against ISIS-Somalia

U.S. Forces conduct...

At the request of the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted a coll...

Renewed deadly RSF shelling strikes North Darfur camp

Renewed deadly RSF s...

Sudanese woman stands with her child who is being treated for malnutrition at a nutrition stabilisa...

TotalEnergies grows renewable capacity with new deals in Germany, Uganda, Canada

TotalEnergies grows...

BAKU, Azerbaijan, April 2. TotalEnergies has completed the acquisitions of VSB Group, a European win...

Church leads climate literacy campaign in schools and churches

Church leads climate...

Teachers and pastors undergoing a two day Ocean Climate Literacy session at a Malindi hotel in Kili...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.