Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

Army General Burhan commended Guterres' appeal for a Ramadan truce [Getty]

There would be no truce in Sudan in the Islamic holy month of Ramadan unless the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group leaves the homes and sites of civilians, senior Sudanese armed forces General Yasser al-Atta said on Sunday.

The statement follows an appeal by the United Nations Security Council for a truce during Ramadan, which begins this week. The paramilitary RSF said it welcomed the ceasefire call.

Atta's statement, issued on the army's official Telegram channel, cited recent military advances by the army in Omdurman, part of Sudan's wider capital.

It said there could be no Ramadan ceasefire unless the RSF complied with a commitment made in May last year at Saudi and U.S.-mediated talks in Jeddah to withdraw from civilian homes and public facilities.

It also said there should be no role for Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, the RSF leader commonly known as Hemedti, in Sudan's future politics or military. 

War between Sudan's army and the RSF erupted in mid-April 2023 amid tensions over a plan for transition to civilian rule. The two factions staged a coup in 2021 that derailed a previous transition following the 2019 overthrow of autocratic former leader Omar al-Bashir.

The army has been on the back foot militarily for much of the conflict. The RSF occupied large swathes of the capital in the first days of fighting.

The U.N. says nearly 25 million people - half Sudan's population - need aid, some 8 million have fled their homes and hunger is rising. Washington says the warring parties have committed war crimes.

In-depth

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has also urged a Ramadan truce.

Sudan's U.N. ambassador told the U.N. security council on Thursday that the head of the army and ruling council Abdel Fattah al-Burhan commended Guterres' appeal, but was wondering how it could be implemented.

Sudan's foreign ministry, which is aligned with the armed forces, said that for any ceasefire appeal to be successful, the RSF would need to withdraw from areas including El Gezira and Sennar states and several cities in Darfur, the RSF's stronghold. The New Arab

 
The top commander of the FDLR militia in DR Congo Gen’ Gaston Iyamuremye was killed. Internet 

The top commander of the FDLR militia in DR Congo has reportedly died after sustaining injuries in a battle with the M23 rebels on March 4 and 5 in North Kivu province.

Reports of the death of ‘Gen’ Gaston Iyamuremye, who is known as Victor Byiringiro, circulated on social media on the morning of Sunday, March 10.

ALSO READ: DR Congo: M23 rebels capture FDLR stronghold

It had been reported that he was injured during fighting with M23 rebels in Nyanzale, a small town in Rutshuru territory known to be the key stronghold of the FDLR, a UN-sanctioned terrorist militia formed by remnants of the perpetrators of 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda.

If Byiringiro’s death is confirmed, it would be another severe blow dealt to the FDLR following the killing of ‘Col’ Protogene Ruvugayimikore in early December 2023.

Ruvugayimikore, who served as FDLR’s special forces commander, died in a Goma hospital after sustaining injuries during combat with M23.

After the M23’s capture of Nyanzale, which links areas of Lubero, Butembo and Walikare, fighting is reported to be continuing.

ALSO READ: Who is Ruvugayimikore, the FDLR commander killed by M23?

The FDLR was founded in May 2000 with the help of the Congolese political and military authorities - a fact admitted by one of its founders and former vice president, Straton Musoni, who now lives in Rwanda.

FDLR is part of a Congolese government-led coalition that includes Burundian forces, troops from the Southern African Development Community (SADC), fighting M23 rebels.

The UN-sanctioned militia poses a threat to Rwanda and is accused of spreading genocide ideology against Congolese Tutsi communities.

ALSO READ: DR Congo army announces ‘divorce’ with FDLR

In an interesting twist of events, and following mounting pressure, the Congolese army in November 2023 ordered that all its soldiers to end any contact with the FDLR. However, the FDLR remained integrated into the Congolese armed forces, according to the Rwandan government.

ALSO READ: FDLR integration into DR Congo army must be addressed – Kagame

Rwanda has, for years, asked the Congolese government to end its collaboration with the genocidal militia, to no avail, despite its being one of the root causes of the conflict in eastern DR Congo.

The FDLR not only threatens DR Congo’s security but has launched attacks on Rwanda for more than two decades.

Eastern DR Congo has been volatile for nearly 30 years and remains home to more than 130 armed groups. Multiple interventions have failed to end decades of violence. The New Times

ACT-Wazalendo supporters at a rally in Zanzibar during the last general election. PHOTO | FILE | NMG

Tanzania’s second-biggest opposition party, Alliance for Change and Transparency, better known by its acronym ACT-Wazalendo, this week set itself up for what could be a make-or-break elections season by electing leaders to lead campaigns in Zanzibar and the Mainland.

Dorothy Semu was elevated from party vice-chairperson for Tanzania Mainland to succeed long-time incumbent Zitto Kabwe in the topmost position of Party Leader while Othman Masoud, who was vice-chair in Zanzibar, took over as party chairman.

Ismail Jussa and Isihaka Mchinjita became the new party vice-chairpersons for Zanzibar and Tanzania Mainland respectively.

The internal party polls signalled a fresh push by ACT-Wazalendo to cement its standing as a formidable political force in the archipelago, which is its stronghold, and reinvent itself in the Mainland where the 10-year-old party has lost much of its shine in recent years.

It faces its first test in nationwide local government elections scheduled for October to be followed by next year’s presidential and parliamentary polls on both sides of the Union. 

The road ahead is expected to be especially tough for Ms Semu,49, who, while overseeing party affairs overall, will primarily be tasked with spearheading ACT-Wazalendo’s efforts to regain clout in the Mainland, where it has become increasingly overshadowed by Chadema as an effective voice of political opposition against the ruling Chama Cha Mapinduzi.

The 17-year civil service veteran, who quit in the early 2020s to become a full-time politician, initially with CCM, soundly defeated the only other candidate for Party Leader, Mbarala Maharagande, by securing almost two-thirds (65.7 percent) of the vote.

President Samia Suluhu Hassan of CCM is the only other woman Party Leader in Tanzania’s 18 registered political parties.

But Ms Semu has her work cut out to fill the vacuum left by Zitto, one of the party’s founders in 2014, who has been party leader all along but was obliged to step down after completing two terms in line with the party’s own constitutional requirements.

A seasoned politician, who cut his teeth in Chadema, Mr Kabwe played a key role in building ACT-Wazalendo from a fledgling party to one currently enjoying large following and membership numbers than other political parties in Tanzania, save for Chadema and CCM.

One of his main credits as party leader was to orchestrate the defection of Zanzibar’s most illustrious opposition heavyweight, Seif Sharif Hamad, from the Civic United Front in 2018, which instantly made ACT-Wazalendo a big political force in the Isles, alongside CCM, and significantly lifted its status on the Mainland.

Read: Samia outsmarts Tanzania opposition

But his past few years as party leader were clouded by widespread perceptions of a party slowly abandoning opposition demands for a new constitution as a matter of urgency in favour of fence-sitting as Chadema continued to lock horns with CCM over the Katiba issue.

Now aged 48, Mr Kabwe is expected to maintain an influential presence within the party, probably as a leadership consultant. But he has dismissed speculation that he may mount a presidential challenge against Samia in 2025, saying he wants to focus on regaining the Kigoma constituency seat that he lost in the 2020 general election.

The 2020 polls were tainted by claims of irregularities that badly hurt the opposition as a whole, and Mr Kabwe says his priority is to regnite an effective opposition presence in the National Assembly. If he succeeds in this, it could still be the platform for a potential run for the presidency in 2030, when he will still be relatively young, at 54.

The election of Mr Othman as party chairman is more closely linked to ACT-Wazalendo’s immediate aspirations to win the Zanzibar presidency in 2025.

The 61-year-old former attorney-general of Zanzibar currently holds the position of first vice-president in the archipelago’s coalition government with the CCM and has long been touted as the party’s most likely candidate to run against incumbent president Hussein Mwinyi of CCM.

It is a contest which, given Zanzibar’s volatile election history, has the potential to produce more sparks than that on the Mainland. By BOB KARASHANI, The East African

Azimio la Umoja leader Raila Odinga received the NADCO Report at Capitol Hill Square on March 08, 2024. [Emmanuel Wanson, Standard]

Azimio Leader Raila Odinga is generally optimistic about his chances to bag the African Union Commission (AUC) chairperson position.

But even he knows it will not be a walk in the park, as he admitted during a rally in Wajir on Thursday. The former prime minister has engaged in an aggressive campaign to woo countries to back his bid.

He was in Rwanda on Friday and held talks with President Paul Kagame over his candidacy as he seeks to have the East African region rally behind his candidacy. 

“Had an insightful conversation with President Paul Kagame in Kigali, diving into regional and Pan-African ideals. We are committed to African unity and solidarity for shared prosperity and progress,” Raila posted on his social media handles. 

Kagame concurred, saying they had “exchanged on various issues of regional and continental interest. Days earlier, Raila met Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni jointly with President William Ruto, securing Museveni’s support. By Brian Otieno, The Standard

Muscat: The Foreign Ministry has welcomed the Security Council’s adoption of a resolution by the majority calling for a cessation of hostilities in the Republic of Sudan, and considers this resolution an important step toward achieving stability and peace in Sudan....

Read more on: https://www.omanobserver.om/article/1150738/oman/community/foreign-ministry-welcomes-un-resolution-on-sudan

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

Oman participates in Global AI Summit in Rwanda

Oman participates in...

Kigali: The Sultanate of Oman took part in the Global AI Summit on Africa 2025, held in Kigali, Repu...

Meta faces £1.8bn lawsuit over claims it inflamed violence in Ethiopia

Meta faces £1.8bn la...

Abrham Meareg’s father was followed home and killed after his home address was published on Faceboo...

Kalonzo announces plans to form 'grand coalition' to oust Ruto from power

Kalonzo announces pl...

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka during the unveiling of DNA party (formerly Umoja Summit party). (Coll...

NIS Boss Haji and CS Murkomen Warn Against Social Media Misuse

NIS Boss Haji and CS...

NIS DG Noordin Haji during the inaugural public lecture at the National Intelligence & Research...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.