Donation Amount. Min £2

World

Alexander Britton, PA
 

A 34-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a millionaire hotelier. Police said Sir Richard Sutton, who owned a string of top hotels in London, died on Wednesday during an incident at a property near Gillingham, Dorset.

Officers said a woman in her 60s was seriously injured in the incident and was airlifted to Southmead Hospital in Bristol where she remains in a critical condition.

A spokesman for Sir Richard Sutton Ltd said the woman is Anne Schreiber, who was “a hugely important part of Sir Richard’s life” having cared for him for a “long period”, and wished her “a swift and full recovery”. 

Thomas Schreiber, from the Gillingham area, has been charged with murder, attempted murder and dangerous driving and is due before magistrates in Poole on Monday.

The spokesman added: “Though separated, Sir Richard also remained on good terms with his wife, Lady Fiamma, and very close to their children, who are mourning the loss of a devoted father.

“Employees across the group have been united in their shock at what has happened and will need time to come to terms with the loss of such an influential figure.”

Detective Inspector Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team, said: “Our thoughts remain with the victims’ family and all of those affected by this terrible incident.

“Following a detailed investigation, we have consulted with the Crown Prosecution Service.

“As a result, Dorset Police have been authorised to formally charge Thomas Schreiber with the murder of Sir Richard, attempted murder of the injured woman and dangerous driving.”

Sir Richard was listed at number 435 in the Sunday Times Rich List last year with an estimated family fortune of £301 million – a rise of £83 million on the previous year.

The guide says Sir Richard’s company owns London hotels the Sheraton Grand Park Lane and the Athenaeum, plus three smaller venues.

He had an extensive property and farming portfolio, including the 6,500-acre Benham Estate in West Berkshire and the Stainton Estate in Lincolnshire.  Yahoo News

 

Chinese President Xi Jinping (L) and Rwandan President Paul Kagame during a press briefing in Kigali Kigali on July 23, 2018. Representatives of both the Rwandan and Chinese governments have denied claims that 18 Chinese nationals were deported from Rwanda. Photo AFP / Simon Maina

 

Posts claiming that Rwandan President Paul Kagame ordered the deportation of 18 Chinese nationals for mistreating local workers have resurfaced online. AFP Fact Check debunked the same claim in 2020 and found no evidence backing up the allegations. To this day,  there is still no public record of such an order and representatives of both the Rwandan and Chinese governments have confirmed the incident never happened.

"You can't eat from Africa and you disrespect us...Africa is a people Continent that allows everybody to stay peacefully but won't accept any form of slavery again',” reads a Facebook post published on April 1, 2021, claiming to quote Kagame.

The post has since been shared more than 500 times.

The claim was also shared in Facebook posts here and here.

The same claim circulated last year on a Facebook page called "CNN Zambia". AFP Fact Check found it to be an imposter account pretending to belong to US news channel CNN.

There are no news reports or any other traces of the alleged deportation of Chinese nationals from Rwanda as per orders issued by Kagame.

His spokeswoman Yolande Makolo dismissed the claims as “fake news”.

"We would like to inform you that no such thing happened. It is fake news,” she told AFP Fact Check in an email on April 8, 2021.

The Chinese embassy in Kigali also said it was not aware of any deportation of its nationals.

“The Chinese embassy in Rwanda hasn’t heard about any of the deportation mentioned in the link. This piece of news is again fabricated, and full of misinformation. China and Rwanda are committed to deepen their bilateral cooperation, and bring more benefits to the Chinese and Rwandan people,” it said in an email sent to AFP Fact Check on April 8, 2021.

Reports of Chinese nationals mistreating local workers in Africa are not new. In February 2020, Kenya’s interior minister ordered the deportation of four Chinese nationals who were accused of assaulting a Kenyan restaurant worker. The scene, which was captured on video, caused outrage on social media. - Mary Kulundu, AFP Kenya/Fact Check

Burundi President Evariste Ndayishimiye. Photo AFP

 

The United Nations special envoy's office to Burundi will close on May 31, five months after the isolated regime requested it shuttered, the secretary-general announced Thursday.

A highly political issue, the UN's presence has been a source of tension for years between the organisation and Burundian authorities, which have contested the need for UN Security Council observation mission.

The office was established after the central African nation was plunged into political crisis in 2015, when then-president Pierre Nkurunziza ran for a disputed third term, sparking violence that claimed at least 1,200 lives.

General Evariste Ndayishimiye was elected in May 2020 to succeed Nkurunziza, who died in June. UN investigators said in September that rights abuses have continued under Ndayishimiye.

Burundi notified the UN in November last year that its office would be closed by December 31, Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Thursday in his letter to the Security Council. But the two sides agreed that the UN needed more time and settled on May 31.

In a unanimously adopted declaration, the Security Council called on Burundi late last year to "cooperate" with the UN in promoting national reconciliation and the rule of law.

"There is important work ahead to advance national reconciliation, promotion of the rule of law and of an independent and effective judiciary," said the declaration.

After the UN envoy's office closes, the United Nations is expected to continue monitoring Burundi via the special envoy to the Great Lakes region, China's Huang Xia. - AFP/The EastAfrican

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

U.S. Forces conduct strike against ISIS-Somalia

U.S. Forces conduct...

At the request of the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted a coll...

Renewed deadly RSF shelling strikes North Darfur camp

Renewed deadly RSF s...

Sudanese woman stands with her child who is being treated for malnutrition at a nutrition stabilisa...

TotalEnergies grows renewable capacity with new deals in Germany, Uganda, Canada

TotalEnergies grows...

BAKU, Azerbaijan, April 2. TotalEnergies has completed the acquisitions of VSB Group, a European win...

Church leads climate literacy campaign in schools and churches

Church leads climate...

Teachers and pastors undergoing a two day Ocean Climate Literacy session at a Malindi hotel in Kili...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.