•Ali was captured alongside six other Islamic State group-linked insurgents.
•He is said to have been one of the militant leaders whose task was to recruit fighters.
Activist Isaac Aluochier has once again stirred debate with his anti-Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) presentation at the Supreme Court, a few months after arguing against it at the Court of Appeal which upheld its invalidity.
On Wednesday, January 19, the arbitrator argued that the 2010 Kenya Constitution is supreme and above everyone.
Alouchier argued that the Basic Doctrine structure which is at the heart of the BBI appeal contradicts the Constitution with special focus on Article 1 (1) which states that 'All sovereign power belongs to the people of Kenya and shall be exercised only in accordance with this Constitution.”
Upon this basis, the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) practitioner posed a tough rhetorical question to the apex judges led by Chief Justice Martha Koome, to the dismay of those who were following the court proceeding.
He wondered whether the heads of the Judiciary, Executive, or Legislature were above the law that governs the country and had the authority to challenge the legality and validity of Article 1 (1).
"Who is boss in this country? Is it Martha Koome, Uhuru Kenyatta, David Ndii, or us the people? If we the people are boss then our word should rule and prevail. If we put qualifiers in judicial immunity like 'unlawful' we mean exactly that," he stated.
He concluded by saying the Kenyan people have been given power by the Constitution in accordance with Article 1 (1).
“If our Constitution is supreme, no law can purport to construe or invalidate its provisions.
"As such, they are the boss and any constituted power be it the Executive, Legislature, Judiciary or independent commissions must conduct their affairs in accordance with the Constitution," Aluochier added.
In a rejoinder, Chief Justice Martha Koome concurred with him and thanked him for clearly stating that the people are the boss.
"Thank you for ending on the happy note that Martha Koome is not the boss, we the sovereign people are the boss," she remarked.
Earlier on, Alouchier had argued that the amendment of the Constitution ought to follow requisite processes as stipulated by the law and that it is imperative for all to respect its structures.
He further opposed Attorney General Paul Kihara Kariuki and Solicitor General Kennedy Ogutu, stating that President Uhuru Kenyatta does not enjoy absolute immunity and can be sued in court for violating the Constitution.
“Article 143 (2) gives immunity against civil proceedings being instituted against him, not electoral or constitutional proceedings. After all, we have presidential petitions. We are only talking about civil matters.
"When we hear the president’s team arguing for absolute immunity on grounds outside the Constitution, you must not allow yourself to be misled,” he pleaded with the seven-judge bench.
Aluochier declared interest in the Migori Senatorial seat. His father, John Linus Aluoch Polo, was elected as the Rongo MP in the first multiparty General Election in Kenya in 1992. By David Kingsley, Kenyans.co.ke
•Ali was captured alongside six other Islamic State group-linked insurgents.
•He is said to have been one of the militant leaders whose task was to recruit fighters.
At least 20 dead bodies have been retrieved from a river in western Kenya in recent weeks.
Human rights group, Haki Africa says most of the bodies recovered from River Yala, which flows into Lake Victoria, were found in sacks, with some tied up and others damaged signifying that the victims had gone through torture before being disposed being dumped into the river.
“What is shocking and extremely disturbing is that these bodies are actually dumped by individuals who so far remain unknown.” Haki Africa's Executive Director Hussein Khalid
Haki Africa's Executive Director Hussein Khalid added that the local mortuary was receiving the unidentified bodies and had buried nine of them in a mass grave to make space for more bodies.
Locals say unidentified people dump the bodies into the river at night.
Mr Khalid and another activist, Boniface Mwangi, travelled to the scene, and recounted seeing two bodies floating on the river.
Activist Boniface Mwangi posted on Twitter that he and the head of local human rights organisation Haki Africa had counted more than 20 decomposing bodies at Yala hospital mortuary.
The information has come as a shock to Kenyans with many pouring out their anger on Social media raising questions about their safety in the region.
Locals claim the number is higher than the 20 that have been deposited at the mortuary adding that 31 bodies have been retrieved from the river since July last year.
“We didn’t believe him but agreed to follow him to the river. In a span of minutes, he had spotted and shown us two bodies. The whole scene was sickening,” the activist wrote.
This story has encouraged other Kenyans to also come out to announce the dismissal of their loved ones launching a search into their search.
Locals reportedly say the bodies are brought from different areas in vehicles and dumped in the river.
Kenyans are demanding investigations to ascertain the identities of the dead and know who is behind the killings. Africa News
|
Image courtesy of Jeffrey Strain from Pixabay
Rwanda will be the regional headquarters of the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) after President Paul Kagame signed a decree on the establishment of its headquarters in his country. The Wildlife Conservation Society is a non-profit international organization that is responsible for the conservation of wildlife and the management of parks around the world.
WCS’s goal is to conserve the world’s largest wild places in 14 priority regions which are homes to more than 50 percent of the world’s biodiversity. A presidential decree authorizing WCS to have a seat in Rwanda was published in the Official Gazette dated December 31, 2021, a report from Kigali said.
The Wildlife Conservation Society will be licensed to have infrastructure in Rwanda including buildings, land, equipment, offices, laboratories, and other facilities that will assist in fulfilling its obligations under the terms of the agreement signed by both parties.
The agreement also stipulates that the equipment that the WCS will need in its day-to-day work will be eligible for tax exemption and that the Government of Rwanda will make it easier for Visa to have its international staff working in Rwanda. These workers and their families will have the same immunity and opportunity as others on their local level, the report said.
The WCS presence in Rwanda will help in implementing wildlife conservation projects in other countries as to address the impacts of climate change. The organization also carry out research on biodiversity, cross-border conservation and biodiversity activities, and identifies solutions to problems that threaten the natural resources.
A Rwanda cabinet meeting had approved in December last year, the request to nominate Nyungwe National Park as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Nyungwe Park is worth US$4.8 billion by its value and feeds 2 of the world’s largest rivers – the Congo and the Nile. It is also the source of at least 70 percent of Rwanda’s freshwater.
The conservation and climate resilient project dubbed “Building Resilience of Vulnerable Communities to Climate Variability in Rwanda’s Congo Nile Divide through Forest and Landscape Restoration” will be implemented around Nyungwe National Park, Volcano National Park, and Gishwati-Mukura National Park.
Gishwati-Mukura landscape has already been recognized internationally after being designated a UNESCO biosphere reserve, while Volcano National Park known for its mountain gorillas was designated as biosphere reserve many years ago. - Apolinari Tairo, eTurboNews
Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.
To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.
We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.