Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

 

A woman, who killed her husband for taking Sh1,000 cash meant for food was on Thursday sentenced to three years probation.

Her sister, who struck him in the head, will also serve the same sentence.

The violence occurred on August 2, 2018, in Karena Village in Marakwet East subcounty within Elgeyo Marakwet. They have been in remand since then.

Winnie Jepkorir and her sister Irene Yatich were charged with manslaughter after they killed Jeremiah Kipkemoi who was hit on the head with a stone.

Both pleaded guilty.

Eldoret High Court Judge Erick Ogola said there was a clear provocation and the two did not mean to kill Kipkemoi during the fight.

“The proof of offence of manslaughter attracts a maximum sentence of life in prison. In this case however, there was a clear provocation. The fight did not immediately result in death. Death followed later, unexpectedly,” the judge ruled. 

According to court documents Kipkemoi, who was the husband of the accused, returned home while drunk at around 1pm. 

He took Sh1,000 that was on the table, money meant for food. His wife, who was also drunk, asked him to return the money but he refused.

A quarrel ensued and the two got physical. Jepkorir overpowered him and he fell to the floor. She started biting him while he was down.

Jepkoris’s sister, Yatich who saw the two fight, took a stone and hit the deceased on the head with it. The two continued to pinning him to the floor and retrieved the money before letting him go.

The husband fell asleep.

“At about 7.30pm my husband complained of headache so I gave him pain killers," the widow testified.

"We slept until around 5am when I tried to wake him up but he remained unresponsive. At that point I rushed out and  to notify neighbours and relatives,” Jepkorir told the court. 

It was then established that Kipkemoi had already died. 

The accused and her sister were arrested and taken to Tot police station.

They were charged with murder after the post mortem established the cause of death to be blunt injury to the head.

Jepkorir said she was remorseful and the facts that led to her husband's death were unfortunate. She said both of them were drunk and she regretted that.

She told court that she has three young children and the family of her husband has forgiven her. She begged for a non-custodial sentence.

The judge said the accused have been in custody for four years since their arrest, during which time Jepkorir conceived and delivered a baby in prison.

“All the three children now have only the accused as the remaining parent, therefore, a non-custodial sentence would serve more justice for the accused and victim,” the judge said.

“I therefore jail [sentence] the accused to a probation period of three years under supervision of the Probation Service,” he ruled. - AKELLO ODENYO, The Star

(Edited by V. Graham)

Makueni Senator Mutula Kilonzo Junior addresses a press conference at the party headquarters in Nairobi on Wednesday, January 12, 2022[David Njaaga, Standard]

Makueni Senator Mutula Kilonzo Jr says the Wiper Party will accept nothing less than the position of a running mate in the coalition talks between its party leader and Azimio la Umoja Presidential Candidate Raila Odinga.

“For Kalonzo [Musyoka] to have agreed to forfeit presidency for the third time it must count for something,” Senator Kilonzo Jr said.

Speaking in Wote, Makueni County, Saturday after a meeting with leaders and politicians from the region, he said that the Wiper Party had advised its leader, Kalonzo Musyoka, to go for the Deputy President’s position, even as Kalonzo Musyoka and Raila Odinga continue with coalition negotiations. 

“While we are still in the process of negotiations and holding talks, we have asked that Kalonzo Musyoka be given the position of Deputy President,” he said.

Mutula Kilonzo Jr’s sentiments follow a meeting of his party leader with President Uhuru Kenyatta at Kalonzo’s Karen residence Friday evening.

 

“It was my absolute pleasure and joy to host the President of the Republic of Kenya H. E Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta and my fellow OKA Principal Baringo Senator Gideon Moi at my Nairobi residence yesterday evening.

We are Azimio - One Kenya and we will support Right Honourable former Prime Minister Raila Amolo Odinga for the presidency in the forthcoming August General Election,” Kalonzo tweeted on Saturday.

The meeting came a week after Kalonzo publicly endorsed Raila Odinga during the Azimio la Umoja Movement National Delegates Convention held at Kenyatta International Convention Centre. 

President Kenyatta praised him saying his sacrifice will not go unrewarded.

“It isn’t that Kalonzo was incapable. He is very capable of becoming president but decided to support his brother Raila,” President Kenyatta said.

In the Azimio NDC Raila Odinga also said that while he and Kalonzo may have had issues in the past, the two had patched up things.

When the defunct Nasa coalition was faced with internal wrangles, three of the four principals, Kalonzo Musyoka, Musalia Mudavadi and Moses Wetangula had vowed that they would never work with Raila Odinga.

Even in post-Nasa politics, Kalonzo, on multiple occasions, publicly said that he would not enter into any political pacts with the former Prime Minister. By Elaine Kirui , The Standard

The Head of State said he will engage other stakeholders to help accelerate the initiative which will also go a long way in creating jobs for Kenyan youth

President Uhuru Kenyatta has welcomed a proposed initiative to establish a centre of excellence in health education and training at Kisii University. 

The President said the establishment of a centre of excellence in health education will boost the country’s ongoing efforts to deliver quality and affordable healthcare services to Kenyans.

President Kenyatta spoke on Friday evening during a meeting with United Kingdom’s University of Manchester Vice President Prof Graham Lord who paid him a courtesy call at State House, Nairobi.

Prof Lord, who was accompanied by founding partners of the UK-Kenya health alliance (KUKHA) from the University of Manchester, the Christie Hospital and Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, briefed President Kenyatta on the progress of the project.

President Kenyatta and Prof Lord also discussed the development of a comprehensive cancer care services network in the country.

“I am very impressed by the personal commitment of your team in this project. I am convinced that taking centres of excellence outside Nairobi will be crucial in helping us achieve our desired goals in the health sector,” President Kenyatta said.

The President’s meeting with the team led by Prof Lord follows a similar meeting held on the margins of the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow, Scotland in November last year.

The Head of State said he will engage other stakeholders to help accelerate the initiative which will also go a long way in creating jobs for Kenyan youth.

Our aim is to improve the standard of healthcare in Kenya through research, workforce training and education of health professionals

“This initiative will not only help us reduce the disease burden but also enable us create opportunities for our youth,” President Kenyatta said.

Expressing optimism that the project will enhance delivery of health services in the East African region at large,” President Kenyatta said his administration is working to align legislations and resources to accelerate its implementation.

The team, which was accompanied by Health Principal Secretary Susan Mochache, also informed the President of a Memorandum of Understanding that will pave the way for the establishment of the East African centre of excellence in health education and training at Kisii University.

The centre of excellence, which will be a regional hub for healthcare research, innovation and training of advanced-level medical personnel, is a joint project that also involves Egerton University, Maseno University and Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology.

Kisii University has set aside 70 acres of land to accommodate a 1,000-bed hospital, a comprehensive research centre, laboratories and schools of medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, biomedical sciences and nursing as part of the project.

Partner universities will collaborate to promote specialist health care and research in Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs), Malaria, HIV and AIDS, sickle cell disease, mental health and substance abuse as well as other diseases.

“Our aim is to improve the standard of healthcare in Kenya through research, workforce training and education of health professionals. The work will initially focus on improving cancer outcomes through early detection, rapid diagnosis and the delivery of high-quality care,” said Prof Lord.

The team noted that significant progress has been made in cancer diagnosis and treatment at Kenyatta University Teaching and Referral Research Hospital (KUTRRH).

The partnership will also see the establishment of a regional cancer training and research hub which will be managed through KUTRRH. Already a 2.8 million pounds sterling grant from the UK National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) has been secured for this purpose.

State House Deputy Chief of Staff in charge of Policy and Strategy Ruth Kagia, Kenyatta University Teaching, Referral and Research Hospital chairperson Prof Olive Mugenda, and Kisii University Vice Chancellor Prof John Akama also attended the meeting.  Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Presidency of the Republic of Kenya.

A Beautiful Sunny Day.
 
By David P Carroll.
 
The sun is shining so bright
And the sky is so beautiful and 
Blue the and little birds are singing in 
Africa to and the fields are full of 
Beautiful smiling yellow flowers 
 
And there smiling so bright in
The warm African sunlight
And the rosy colored sky
On a cool sunny day
Oh what a gorgeous hot day
And a warm wind gently 
Blowing all day and my  
Memories in East Africa
Will never fade away
 
And I'm having a cold beer today
And I'm smiling so bright
In the African sunlight
And I'm having so much fun
In the warm hot sun and
Moments to cherish with so much Happiness and joy and
Everyone laughing with smiles 
On there faces and I'll always
Remember the moments of those 
Beautiful sunny days in
Africa every day.
 
 
The Treasury said a network of armed groups, smugglers and companies generate illicit revenue from the gold industry through forced labor, smuggling or other means. It said the illicit movement of gold provides revenue to armed groups that threaten peace and security in Congo.  Image: 123RF.com/alexlmx / File photo

The US on Thursday imposed sanctions on Belgian businessman Alain Goetz and a network of companies tied to him that it accused of being involved in the illicit movement of gold from Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The US Treasury Department, in a statement, said among the targets was the African Gold Refinery in Uganda, which Goetz operates, and several other companies he owns or controls. It accused Goetz and the companies of being involved in illegal gold exports valued at hundreds of millions of dollars per year.

In a statement, Goetz said his inclusion on the US sanctions list “seems to be based on misinformation”. He said he has not been to Congo in more than 20 years and has not kept any active contacts within Congo.

Goetz said he was asked to set up East Africa's first gold refinery in 2014, adding that “nothing has made me prouder than to see the impact that African Gold Refinery has had on the gold industry in the Great Lakes region”.

The Treasury said a network of armed groups, smugglers and companies generate illicit revenue from the gold industry through forced labour, smuggling or other means. It said the illicit movement of gold provides revenue to armed groups that threaten peace and security in Congo.

“Conflict gold provides the largest source of revenue to armed groups in eastern DRC where they control mines and exploit miners,” the Treasury's under secretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, Brian Nelson, said in the statement.

 

“Alain Goetz and his network have contributed to armed conflict by receiving DRC gold without questioning its origin.”

The Treasury said Goetz's network sources gold from Congo, Kenya, South Sudan and Tanzania.

Goetz said the Treasury's Office for Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) had presented no documented evidence to back up their claims, and that he was confident this “mistake” would be swiftly rectified.

The Ugandan government did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Others designated on Thursday that the Treasury said were owned or controlled by Goetz include United Arab Emirates-based Agor DMCC and UAE-based Goetz Gold LLC.

Agor did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Goetz Gold LLC and the African Gold Refinery could not immediately be reached for comment.

The Treasury said that since 2016, the African Gold Refinery, considered one of the largest gold refineries in Africa, has sourced illicit gold from mines in regions of Congo that are controlled by armed groups, including the Mai-Mai Yakutumba and Raia Mutomboki militia.

Thursday's move freezes any US assets of those designated and generally bars Americans from dealing with them.

“This strong action by the US will send shock waves throughout the global gold supply chain,” Sasha Lezhnev, policy consultant at non-governmental organisation The Sentry, said.

“Turning a blind eye to conflict gold now carries a heavy price.”  By DAPHNE PSALEDAKIS, Times Live

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

U.S. Forces conduct strike against ISIS-Somalia

U.S. Forces conduct...

At the request of the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted a coll...

Renewed deadly RSF shelling strikes North Darfur camp

Renewed deadly RSF s...

Sudanese woman stands with her child who is being treated for malnutrition at a nutrition stabilisa...

TotalEnergies grows renewable capacity with new deals in Germany, Uganda, Canada

TotalEnergies grows...

BAKU, Azerbaijan, April 2. TotalEnergies has completed the acquisitions of VSB Group, a European win...

Church leads climate literacy campaign in schools and churches

Church leads climate...

Teachers and pastors undergoing a two day Ocean Climate Literacy session at a Malindi hotel in Kili...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.