Donation Amount. Min £2

Surrendered M23 fighters being escorted.

The White House on Monday welcomed the initiation of a 72-hour ceasefire in the conflict-ridden eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) which entities involved in the conflict have agreed to.

This development is a follow-up to the confidence building measures secured during Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Avril Haines’ 19-20 November visit to the DRC and Rwanda, and her subsequent engagements with Presidents Felix Tshisekedi of the DRC and Paul Kagame of Rwanda, said Adrienne Watson, National Security Council spokesperson in the White House.

The ceasefire started “at noon Central Africa Standard Time (GMT+2), when armed forces and non-state armed groups ceased fighting to facilitate the withdrawal of forces occupying the locality of Mushaki and the RP1030 road (Kirolwire-Kitchanga),” said the White House. 

Both the DRC and Rwanda have expressed their support for the US proposal, emphasizing the importance of the ceasefire in enforcing measures to build trust, safeguard civilians, and reduce tensions in the eastern DRC.

“The US Government will use its intelligence and diplomatic resources to monitor the activities by armed forces and non-state armed groups during the ceasefire. In addition, the United States supports the resumption of the Nairobi and Luanda processes, which seek to address the current and historic factors perpetuating this longstanding crisis.”

Meanwhile, earlier on Monday, at the United Nations in New York, the DRC and Rwanda were expected to take part in an open briefing at the United Nations Security Council. The session was to include closed consultations that would focus on the overall situation in the DRC, encompassing updates on the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO). The US Secretary-General’s report, covering the period from 21 September 2023 to 30 November 2023, served as a pivotal reference during the briefing. 

As the ceasefire unfolds, the international community remains watchful, with hopes pinned on diplomatic initiatives to pave the way for lasting peace in the troubled region where from May through September 2023, there have now been 6.9 million internally displaced people, according to the International Organization for Migration (IOM)’s Displacement Tracking Matrix. By Pearl Matibe, Defence Web 

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

The Bishops of Rwanda and Burundi call for peace in the region

The Bishops of Rwand...

"The closure of borders hinders economic growth, social cohesion, and cultural exchange," declared t...

Sidmouth group raise over £6,000 for Uganda borehole

Sidmouth group raise...

Fourteen people walked a 13-mile route to raise funds for a borehole in a Ugandan village. The group...

66-Year-Old Scottish Man Jailed for Life After Killing His Kenyan Wife, Darrel Odhiambo

66-Year-Old Scottish...

Walter Buchanan, a 66-year-old Scottish man, has been sentenced to life in prison after he brutally...

UN condemns killing of 1,000 people in Gaza since ceasefire collapse

UN condemns killing...

© UNOCHA On the first day of Eid, humanitarians recovered the buried bodies of eight Palestinian Re...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.