Donation Amount. Min £2

Plans to house asylum seekers in Inverness have been delayed

  STV News

Concerns had been raised about the impact on the community in Inverness. Scotland’s First Minister has said UK Government plans to house 300 male asylum seekers at an army barracks in the Highlands were “made up on the back of an envelope”.

John Swinney welcomed the news that the Home Office has delayed proposals to place the men at Cameron Barracks in Inverness.

He said the decision was “an acknowledgement that the plans were not well formulated”, and said the Home Office should do “some homework” before taking forward such proposals.

The UK Government said on Friday that while it was still “continuing to accelerate plans” to move asylum seekers to the Scottish site, as well as the Crowborough military base in East Sussex, it would wait until they were “fully operational and safe”.

Highland Council and some local residents have raised concerns about the proposals to house asylum seekers at Cameron Barracks.

Asked about his response to the delay, Swinney told the Press Association on Saturday: “I think the announcement from the Home Office of a delay to their plans indicates that these plans were put together on the back of an envelope

“We’ve said all along that there had to be detailed engagement and dialogue with Highland Council and the Scottish Government about these plans, and despite our best efforts, we have been unable to have that detailed engagement.

“I can’t answer detailed questions about what would be the arrangements around the Cameron Barracks, and that’s because the answers are not forthcoming from the Home Office.

“So I think the overnight decision from the Home Office is welcome because it’s an acknowledgement that the plans were not well formulated.

“And I would respectfully say to the Home Office, if they want to take forward plans of this nature, they should do some thinking, some homework first.”

Questions had previously been raised about the suitability of Cameron Barracks, which is in need of a £1.3 million refurbishment.

Concerns were also raised about “community cohesion”, and how the local authority could ensure people were prepared for the “sudden” presence of 300 asylum seekers.

In recent months, protests have regularly taken place at hotels housing asylum seekers at various locations in Scotland.

Asked whether the protests themselves are racist, he said: “Yes, they are, because they are expressing hostility towards individuals, and it is important that we confront that sentiment.”

Swinney added: “Many of the people who are participating in these protests against the asylum seeker hotels are people who are spreading racist hate in our country.

“So yes, there are people in there who are doing exactly that, and that’s why that’s got to be confronted, and why people in Scotland can rely on their First Minister to do exactly that.”

Commenting on the plans for Cameron Barracks, Scottish Conservative Highlands and Islands MSP Edward Mountain, said: “This delay is nothing more than a ploy by the UK Government in the hope people come round to their flawed idea of housing asylum seekers at Cameron Barracks.

Angus MacDonald, Liberal Democrat MP for Inverness, Skye and West Ross-shire, said: “Irrespective of how long this delay lasts, Cameron Barracks is not an appropriate location to house such a large number of asylum seekers.

“It is the wrong solution in the wrong place.”

UK Government ministers have been looking at ways of clamping down on the use of asylum seeker hotels.

A Home Office spokesperson said on Friday: “We are furious at the level of illegal migrants and asylum hotels.

“Moving to large military sites is an important part of our reforms to tackle illegal migration and the pull factors that make the UK an attractive destination.

“We are continuing to accelerate plans to move people into Crowborough and Cameron Barracks, when the sites are fully operational and safe.

“We will not replicate the mistakes of the past where rushed plans have led to unsafe and chaotic situations that impacts the local community.”

The Home Office did not wish to make further comment on Saturday.  STV News

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

Cameron Barracks asylum seeker plans ‘made up on back of an envelope’ – Swinney

Cameron Barracks asy...

Plans to house asylum seekers in Inverness have been delayed STV News Concerns had been raised abou...

4 killed, 10 injured in shooting at California banquet hall during family gathering

4 killed, 10 injured...

ANKARA At least four people were killed and 10 others wounded in a shooting at a banquet hall in a c...

EAC rivalry imperils...

The Kenya–EU EPA grants Kenyan goods duty-free access to the European market. In Summary A recent c...

Opposition to challenge Mbeere North, Malava by-election results in court

Opposition to challe...

AI-generated image of a young African woman looking at her phone in a dark-lit room. Photo/ Gemini...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.