Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

 

Tanzania has raised the red flag over lack of funds to take care of the increased number of refugees from Democratic Republic of Congo.

Authorities in Dodoma appealed to development partners to support refugees living in camps. It followed an announcement earlier by the World Food Programme that it would slash food rations for refugees in Tanzania due to a critical funding gap.

Sudi Mwakibasi, Director of the Refugee Services Department in the Ministry of Home Affairs, said the country needs urgent financial support the refugees who flocked to Nyarugusu camps located in Kigoma region. Mr Mwakibasi revealed that this year, Tanzania received 11,000 refugees from DRC Congo, but there has been no support from the development partners.

The pace of voluntary return of refugees to their respective countries such as in Burundi and DRC has also been hindered by lack of funding.

Those who agree to go back are given transport and a resettlement grant.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) says it needs at least $700 million in its budget to support its programmes in Tanzania. UNHCR data shows that Tanzania has become a regular recipient country of refugees fleeing violence from neighbouring countries.

The insecurity in DRC was instigated by rebels in eastern part of the country.

Hundreds of Congolese began entering Tanzania to seek refuge through the Kigoma region and Lake Tanganyika using canoes, between September 2022 and January 2023, according to Tanzanian government officials.

Most of them are housed at the Nyarugusu Refugee Camp near the border with DRC.

But authorities have also reported undeclared numbers sneaking in through porous borders.

The influx of refugees happed at a time United Nations peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo will begin departing the country in an “accelerated withdrawal.

In a report tabled to the UN Security Council, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says the Stabilisation Mission deployed to the DRC will leave the country, concluding a controversial chapter but potentially leaving behind a void that could worsen the country’s violence. - EMMANUEL ONYANGO, The EastAfrican

New Life Prayer Center and Church Pastor Ezekel Odero during a Sunday service at his church in Mavueni, Kilifi County, on May 28, 2023.[Robert Menza, Standard]

Embattled pastor Ezekiel Odero’s New Life Prayer Centre and Church on Sunday held its Sunday service without any interference despite the government's decision to de-register it.

Members of the church based at Mavueni in Kilifi County ignored the government ban and trooped in for the early morning for the service.

The congregants blamed the state for interfering with their right to worship, which they believe has changed the lives of many in Mavueni village. 

Speaking to The Standard, the members insisted Odero had good intentions for the local community and urged the state to leave him alone.

Rehema Mwololo, who claimed to have been healed by Odero, decried the government's decision to ban the church as uncalled for. 

"When pastor Odero came to Mavueni, I had many problems with my family members, but after he prayed for me, life changed. He united me with my family and started this business for me. Even my children changed. We are on talking terms because of the pastor,” said Mwololo.

Dorcas Kulundu, who is a staunch follower of Pastor Odero, asked the government to allow the church to operate without interruption.

Kulundu confessed that thousands of people who had come to the church had been healed and wondered why the government was fighting pastor Odero. 

“We have decided to continue going on with prayers by the pastor because we want someone who can change the lives of people. He has already changed the lives of many,” said Kulundu.

As the services were proceeding in the church, a mentally disturbed woman who had slipped from the hands of her relatives from Uganda started running around, causing fears that she could easily be knocked down by vehicles. 

However, church members in charge of the sick managed to get hold of her and bundled her into an ambulance and took her to a hospital in Kilifi.

As the members trooped into the church, the plain-clothed police officers, who were monitoring the situation from a distance in their vehicle, later disappeared.

Yesterday, journalists could not be let into the vast church compound and had to stay outside as service proceeded. 

The Registrar of Societies, Maria Nyariki, cancelled the registration of Pastor Ezekiel’s church under unclear circumstances despite existing court orders stopping interference in the church operations.

She called registration of the church alongside five other churches on May 19, 2023, and published it through a gazette notice dated August 3, 2023, and served the notifications last week. By Willis Oketch, The Standard

Sadiq Khan visit to Westminster Estate© PA Wire/Photo Courtesy

Sadiq Khan was forced to distance himself from a claim on his website that a picture of a young white family “does not represent real Londoners”.

The Labour London mayor was criticised over the message, which appeared as part of a guide to his and the Greater London Authority’s (GLA) brand.

The guide opened with the words: “A City for All Londoners”, and promised to appeal to all ages, genders, sexual orientations and family make-ups.

But a picture of a couple and their two children walking along the Thames, with parliament in the background, was highlighted as an example of pictures not to use. A label on the picture read: “Doesn’t represent real Londoners”.

 
 

Mr Khan said the caption was added by a staff member “in error”, and does not reflect his view or the view of the GLA. 

“The document has now been taken off the GLA website and is being reviewed to ensure the language and guidance is appropriate,” a spokesman for the mayor said.

Mr Khan’s rival in next year’s mayoral race, Tory candidate Suzan Hall, called for the mayor to apologise.

She told the Mail on Sunday, which exposed the guidance: “All Londoners are real Londoners, no matter their ethnicity, and Sadiq Khan needs to apologise and stop these desperate, politically-motivated attempts to divide people.”

The row comes as Mr Khan bids to secure a historic third term as London mayor. He has faced significant criticism in recent months over the expansion of the capital’s Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez), which critics say will add to the financial pressure facing households.

He has also faced criticism over the decision to charge drivers for using the Blackwall Tunnel.

Tory deputy chairman Lee Anderson last week branded Mr Khan “Dick Turpin” and a “modern-day highwayman” over the taxes.

Mr Khan’s spokesman fired back at Mr Anderson’s criticism over the Blackwall tunnel charge – pointing out that it was decided by his predecessor Boris Johnson.

“The introduction of a toll on the Blackwall Tunnel was confirmed by Boris Johnson when he was the mayor in 2012,” they said. The Independent

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki before the National Assembly’s Departmental Committee on Administration and Internal Security on June 20, 2023.

When Interior Cabinet Secretary, Kithure Kindiki, declared the suspension of Worldcoin's operations in Kenya on Wednesday, August 2, very few people, if any, envisaged the global repercussions the move would have. 

The directive issued by the Cabinet Secretary to halt Worldcoin's activities sent shockwaves through the investor community, resulting in a drastic 70 per cent decline in the company's valuation. 

Kenya's intervention served as a catalyst, exposing the company's dubious practices. Investigations by the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner (ODPC) revealed Worldcoin's deliberate disregard for Kenya's directives to cease their iris scanning operations.

In the aftermath of this damning disclosure, Worldcoin finds itself grappling to regain stability. Unless prompt measures are undertaken to counteract the company's plummeting valuation, the company is staring at the potential risk of sinking into negative territory. 

Global industry observers have explained that investors are now steering clear of Worldcoin due to its data collection and storage practices.

In the wake of the disclosures made by the Interior Ministry and the Data Protection Commissioner's office, Worldcoin now finds itself under investigation by regulatory bodies in multiple countries. 

Founded by Sam Altman of OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT, Worldcoin had initially aspired to assert its dominance within the cryptocurrency market.

The bubble of Worldcoin's aspirations was abruptly burst by Kenya, which emerged as the first nation to raise concerns about the company's employment of iris scanning for biometric identification, a practice declared to be in direct violation of data protection laws.

Office of the Data Protection Commissioner (ODPC) in April 2022 started investigating the company and found out that its Data Protection Impact Assessment - a legal requirement for all agencies collecting and storing data - was unacceptable.

As such, the company was immediately ordered to stop its data collection activities in the country. 

The company’s activities gained national attention when thousands of Kenyans turned up at Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC) on August 1, to have their iris scanned in exchange for a Ksh7,000 token.

“The government has suspended forthwith, activities of Worldcoin and any other entity that may be similarly engaging the people of Kenya until relevant public agencies certify the absence of any risks to the general public whatsoever,” Kindiki stated while shutting down the company's operations. By Kioko Nyamasyo, Kenyans.co.ke

THE European Union Observer Mission has deployed 44 additional short-term observers to all the country’s 10 provinces, bringing the total number of European Union Observers deployed outside Harare to 90 ahead of the general elections this Wednesday.

The European Union Observer Mission this Sunday made its final deployment of observers across the country. 

The European Union Chief Observer, Mr Fabio Castaldo briefed the media in Harare this Sunday during the deployment process.

“The EU observer mission is impartial, its mandate is to observe all aspects of the electoral process and assess the extent to which the elections comply with international and regional commitments for elections as well as with the laws of Zimbabwe.

Everyone on the mission is experienced and understands that they are here to observe and not interfere with the process. They are here to watch and not to supervise. Although election day is an important element of our observation, the mission in Zimbabwe is to assess all aspects of the elections over the entire duration of the process,” said Mr Castaldo.

The European Union Observer Mission will present its initial findings and conclusions of the mission two days after the polls and will remain in the country to observe the post-electoral environment. 

Several missions, including the SADC, African Union and Commonwealth observer missions, are in the country to observe the general elections. ZBC News

 

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

The Bishops of Rwanda and Burundi call for peace in the region

The Bishops of Rwand...

"The closure of borders hinders economic growth, social cohesion, and cultural exchange," declared t...

Sidmouth group raise over £6,000 for Uganda borehole

Sidmouth group raise...

Fourteen people walked a 13-mile route to raise funds for a borehole in a Ugandan village. The group...

66-Year-Old Scottish Man Jailed for Life After Killing His Kenyan Wife, Darrel Odhiambo

66-Year-Old Scottish...

Walter Buchanan, a 66-year-old Scottish man, has been sentenced to life in prison after he brutally...

UN condemns killing of 1,000 people in Gaza since ceasefire collapse

UN condemns killing...

© UNOCHA On the first day of Eid, humanitarians recovered the buried bodies of eight Palestinian Re...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.