Donation Amount. Min £2

East Africa

By PA Media

Labour is considering a scheme that would see asylum seekers’ claims processed elsewhere, according to reports. The Times reports that Sir Keir Starmer’s party is considering “detailed plans” for a so-called offshoring scheme, as he seeks to deter Tory attacks on Labour’s alternative to the Rwanda plan. 

The Labour leader has previously dismissed the bid to deport some asylum seekers to the African nation as a “gimmick” and made clear his party’s opposition.

But the newspaper reports that shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper and shadow immigration minister Stephen Kinnock have been speaking to asylum experts, former home secretary Lord David Blunkett and other European countries to draw up an alternative proposal to tackle small boats crossings in the Channel.

The plan would see migrants having asylum claims processed overseas, with successful applicants allowed to come to the UK. While explicit backing for an offshoring scheme would mark a significant shift for Labour, Sir Keir did signal earlier this month that he would not be opposed to considering such an approach.

“Other countries around the world do have schemes where they divert people on the way and process them elsewhere. That’s a different kind of scheme. In the early 2000s, Lord Blunkett and the Blair government were believed to be in talks with Tanzania about the possibility of housing asylum seekers in the country while claims were processed in the UK.

Lord Blunkett told the paper: “What’s absolutely crucial is who is doing the processing and that they’re allowed back into the country. Without it, you’re merely transferring the problem on to somebody else. But if British officials are doing the processing, then you’ve got a scheme that fits with the conventions.”

It comes as Sir Keir and his frontbench team enter a crucial period, with a general election likely to be less than 12 months away.

The Conservatives have sought to make tackling illegal migration a crunch issue, with stopping the boats one of Mr Sunak’s “five priorities”.  By Dominic McGrath, PA Political Staff, Microsoft Start/PA Media

A Saturday morning accident along the Kampala-Gulu highway in Luwero town council claimed the life of Sgt John Bosco Ssenyimba, a police officer at Luwero Central police station (CPS).

Ssenyimba, who was riding a numberless Bajaj motorcycle was killed after a Toyota Hiace commuter taxi, reg no. UBJ 678J made a U-turn and crashed into Fuso Fighter Reg. No. UBJ 273Q near Dawson petrol station.

Both vehicles were destined for Kampala. Sam Twiineamazima, Savannah regional police spokesperson, says that they have since detained Frank Matovu, the truck driver. He says that the deceased’s body is lying at Luwero hospital mortuary pending a postmortem and the hunt for the unidentified driver of the commuter taxi is ongoing.

The accident follows another that killed one person on Wednesday night and injured eight others at Bujabe about 167km into Nakasongola district.

The accident happened after a commuter taxi rammed into a trailer. Both the taxi and the trailer were moving in the same direction from Nakasongola to Kampala city. By URN/The Observer

By KNA

Ugenya Member of Parliament David Ochieng was Sartuday forced to cut short his speech and flee from a funeral in his constituency that was attended by former Prime Minister, Raila Odinga.

Several people were injured and property destroyed during the skirmishes that were preceded by shouting match between supporters of the Orange Democratic Movement and those of the area MP, David Ochieng who ditched Azimio la Umoja coalition and joined Kenya Kwanza immediately after the last general elections.

Ochieng, the party leader of the Kenya Kwanza allied Movement for Movement for Democracy and Growth (MDG) was quickly whisked to his car as his aides fired shots in the air to disperse a marauding group of mourners during a brief scuffle at Ligega village in Ugenya sub county.

Trouble began when Ochieng was invited to address the mourners during the funeral of the late trade unionist and former long serving Kenya National Union of Teachers, Siaya branch, William Ohonde, 73 years.

Ochieng had barely made his remarks when a man emerged from behind and roughed him up before snatching a microphone from his hands.

This caused a commotion that degenerated into a fight between supporters of MDG and ODM.

In the process, MDG supporters were overwhelmed and chased out of the funeral, with Ochieng, former Rarieda MP, Nicholas Gumbo and former journalist, David Ohito who are all associated with Kenya Kwanza forced to leave the venue at high speed.

As all these were happening, ODM brigade, led by party boss, Raila Odinga, Siaya governor, James Orengo and legislators Opiyo Wandayi and Samuel Atandi sat quietly in the dais.

Earlier, tension was high at the funeral as a group of youths who sat on one side kept on shouting MDG and Kenya Kwanza slogans whenever members of the county assembly and other leaders rose to address the mourners.

Addressing the mourners later, former prime minister, Raila Odinga and other leaders condemned the incident as primitive, adding that those who claim to be leaders must know how to carry themselves in public.

Raila accused the government of over taxing Kenyans and squandering taxes meant to develop the country.

He told the government to stop the employment of teachers on contract terms adding that the teachers deserve better remuneration.

Siaya governor, James Orengo who equally condemned the chaos that he said were orchestrated by MDG leader and a few hired goons said leaders must carry themselves with decorum wherever they are.

“Manners maketh man” said Orengo adding that leaders must behave and know what to say where and when whenever they are in public.

National assembly minority leader who is also the Ugunja MP, Opiyo Wandayi vowed to camp in the area and ensure that such ‘nonsense’ comes to an end.

Wandayi urged Kenyans to reject Kenya Kwanza sycophants out to take the country back to the dark days.

Workers during construction of a solar-powered electric fence at a section of the Mt Kenya Forest in Nyeri county on December 14, 2022. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

In an age where wildlife conservation efforts have long relied on costly and unsustainable human interventions, a new approach is gaining
recognition.

The International Fund for Animals Welfare, (IFAW) has aptly recognised the urgent need to take action and is actively advocating for the “Room to Roam” initiative.

Room to Roam concept aims at facilitating interaction between animals and humans to avert human-wildlife conflicts. 

At the heart of this campaign lies climate change, and inadequate conservation funding which stakeholders say have a devastating impact on roaming animals, such as elephants, whose home ranges are increasingly cut off by the encroachment of new villages, farms, cities, highways, and industrial growth. 

According to the CEO and President of the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), Azzedine Downes, Room to Roam aims to provide wild animals with safe routes to freely traverse through counties and conservancies, while ensuring a safe distance from human
interference.

“The benefits of promoting “Room to Roam” extend beyond the animal kingdom, when habitats are effectively connected, communities also become more resilient.

The conservation efforts aimed at facilitating animal movement have a positive ripple effect, aiding in the preservation of ecosystems and the protection of natural resources that are vital for the sustainability of human communities,” he said. 

He added that thriving of wild animals depends on their ability to move freely and access healthy habitats that offer essential resources such as food, water, and ample natural space for stabilisation and success, however, the fragmentation of habitats due to human activities has resulted in a critical need to connect these habitats for the well-being of
wildlife. 

“Our approach leverages the power of climate-smart conservation, integrated landscape management, and ecosystem-based adaptation to deliver multiple benefits for nature, climate, and people,” he said. 

The IFAW actively engages in education and outreach programmes to foster a deeper appreciation and understanding of wildlife among local populations. 

“We aim to secure and connect 12 critical landscapes each home to at least 10,000 elephants, by empowering individuals with knowledge about animal behaviour and the importance of conservation, IFAW aims to bridge the gap between humans and animals, forging a path towards coexistence,” he added.

According to the Africa director for IFAW, James Isiche, the “Room to Roam” initiative comes as a response to the growing concern over the fragmentation of wildlife habitats, which poses a significant threat to animal populations and their natural migration patterns. 

“By creating interconnected corridors, this project aims to mitigate the negative impact of human encroachment and ensure the long-term survival of various species granting animals the freedom to migrate,” he said.

Isiche emphasised that the success of the “Room to Roam” initiative hinges upon the interconnectivity between game parks, game reserves, and conservancies. 

“Establishing these vital links will enable wild animals to traverse vast landscapes, ensuring the sustainability of their populations and the preservation of their natural habitats.”

“If wildlife is confined in one area, they will eventually face a grim fate due to limited access to essential resources such as food and water, however, if there is sufficient space for movement and migration, animals can not only survive but also thrive,” he said.

Peter Matunge, the CEO of Laikipia Conservancy Association said that approximately 40 per cent of the county’s land is dedicated to conservation efforts, but the growing impact of climate change has led to an alarming rise in incidents of human-wildlife conflict.

According to him, the escalating conflict between humans and wildlife has posed significant challenges to both the local communities and the indigenous wildlife populations.

“Encounters between humans and animals are not only becoming more frequent but also more dangerous, this is primarily due to the changing landscapes and shifting migration patterns caused by climate change,” he said.

“The conservation efforts carried out in Laikipia County are crucial in preserving the region’s diverse ecosystems and wildlife populations, through initiatives like ‘Room to Roam, we can create a harmonious coexistence between humans and wildlife, ultimately minimizing the impact of human-wildlife conflict,” he said. By Amos Kiarie, The Standard

A voter casts her ballot at a polling station at Bwakya school in Lubumbashi, Dec. 21, 2023. [VOA]

Western embassies in the Democratic Republic of Congo urged restraint on Saturday after leading opposition members called this week's election a sham, with some calling for it to be annulled.

Five opposition leaders called in a joint statement for a protest march on Wednesday.

One election officer meanwhile said late voting in a few places in the country's far east had been authorized for Sunday. 

In a joint statement Saturday, 12 European embassies in the capital, Kinshasa, along with the Canadian embassy, called for calm.

"So long as the vote count is continuing, we call on all the parties involved ... to show restraint," they wrote.

About 44 million people in the nation of 100 million were registered to vote, with more than 100,000 candidates running for various positions.

President Felix Tshisekedi, 60, is running for re-election against 18 opposition candidates. 

The sheer scale of the DRC, which is roughly the size of continental Western Europe, and its dire infrastructure make elections a stark logistical challenge.

Massive delays and bureaucratic chaos marred the vote on Wednesday, with election authorities struggling to transport voting materials to polling stations on time. Some stations were unable to open at all. 

Protests, fraud allegations

Officially, the country's Independent National Electoral Commission, CENI, extended the vote until Thursday for stations that had been unable to open on polling day.

But ballots were still being cast on Saturday in remote areas, according to some officials, in a sign of continuing difficulties.

 

Macaire Kambau Sivikunula, an election official in the North Kivu region in the east of the country, told AFP that CENI had granted special permission for five voting stations to open on Sunday for voting.

Failure to get the voting up and running on schedule had led to death threats against him, his family and other election officials, he said.

Five opposition leaders said in a statement Saturday that they were organizing a protest march for next Wednesday.

They included gynecologist Denis Mukwege, the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize laureate, and former oil executive Martin Fayulu.

"We will protest against the irregularities noted during the voting operations," they wrote in a letter to the governor of Kinshasa, where they plan to hold the march.

Five other opposition candidates, including business magnate and former provincial governor Moise Katumbi, released a separate statement calling for the vote to be annulled, saying it had been marred by "massive fraud."

'Serious irregularities'

The poor but mineral-rich central African nation held four concurrent polls on Wednesday to elect the president, lawmakers for national and provincial assemblies, and local councilors.

CENI on Friday evening released presidential results from the Congolese diaspora, which represents a minuscule proportion of the electorate, indicating a provisional lead for Tshisekedi.

The release of other results expected on Saturday was postponed until Sunday.

Results from the DRC's 26 provinces are expected to start being released next.

Tshisekedi is considered the front-runner in the first-past-the-post presidential election, especially given that the opposition is divided.

The African Union, which conducted an observation mission, said the poll had taken place in an atmosphere of calm but noted major logistical challenges.

Election observers from the U.S.-based Carter Center noted "serious irregularities" at 21 out of 109 polling stations it visited.

On Saturday, a team of Congolese civil society observers called Regard Citoyen reported that in 21% of the polling stations it observed, would-be voters were turned away illegally.

But in 13% of polling stations, people either without voting cards or not listed on the voter rolls were allowed to cast ballots, it said.

The Congolese government and CENI have both rejected accusations that the vote was chaotic.

CENI also announced an inquiry into "acts of violence, vandalism and sabotage carried out by certain ill-intentioned candidates." By VOA

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

U.S. Forces conduct strike against ISIS-Somalia

U.S. Forces conduct...

At the request of the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) conducted a coll...

Renewed deadly RSF shelling strikes North Darfur camp

Renewed deadly RSF s...

Sudanese woman stands with her child who is being treated for malnutrition at a nutrition stabilisa...

TotalEnergies grows renewable capacity with new deals in Germany, Uganda, Canada

TotalEnergies grows...

BAKU, Azerbaijan, April 2. TotalEnergies has completed the acquisitions of VSB Group, a European win...

Church leads climate literacy campaign in schools and churches

Church leads climate...

Teachers and pastors undergoing a two day Ocean Climate Literacy session at a Malindi hotel in Kili...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.