Donation Amount. Min £4.99

Kenya has intensified Ebola preparedness measures through a KNPHI-led response framework following the Bundibugyo strain outbreak in Uganda and DRC, with enhanced surveillance, laboratory capacity, and rapid response teams activated nationwide.

By 

Kenya has announced intensified nationwide Ebola preparedness measures following the outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, even as the Ministry of Health confirmed that no case linked to the current outbreak has been detected in the country.

Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale said the government had activated a robust national response framework through the Kenya National Public Health Institute (KNPHI) to prevent possible importation of the disease and ensure rapid detection and containment should a case emerge locally.

 

“We wish to reassure all Kenyans that, as of today, Kenya has not reported any Ebola Virus Disease case linked to the current outbreak,” Duale said in a statement issued Tuesday night.

 

However, he cautioned that Kenya’s close regional connectivity through trade, road transport, air travel, and population movement continued to expose the country to heightened risk.

The outbreak has already triggered international concern after the World Health Organization declared it a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, while Africa CDC classified it as a Grade 3 — High Risk event due to confirmed cross-border transmission and the absence of licensed vaccines or approved therapeutics for the Bundibugyo strain.

MoH said more than 336 alerts and suspected cases are currently under investigation in DRC, with eighty-seven deaths reported, including two in Uganda.

At least thirteen laboratory-confirmed cases have been identified across the two countries.

In response, Kenya has activated an Incident Management System at the national level, placed Rapid Response Teams on 24-hour standby, and maintained Public Health Emergency Operations Centres on alert nationwide and within counties.

“Kenya has significantly intensified national preparedness measures aimed at preventing importation of the disease, ensuring rapid detection, and mounting a coordinated response should any case be identified in the country,” Duale said.

Border control

The government has additionally intensified screening and surveillance at airports, seaports, and land border crossings.

As of May 18, MoH said at least 34,500 travellers had undergone screening, including 18,552 international travellers, 5,848 local travellers, 2,514 truck drivers, and 4,729 conveyances.

MoH affirmed strengthened laboratory preparedness through designated testing facilities at KEMRI Nairobi, KEMRI Kisumu, the National Public Health Laboratory, and mobile laboratory platforms to support rapid testing and response.

The Ministry said county governments had been directed to maintain dedicated sample transport arrangements, while ambulance capacity mapping was underway in high-risk counties with support from the Kenya Red Cross Society.

Agencies are also strengthening collaboration with private hospitals to improve early detection, referral, and reporting systems.

Duale urged the public to remain calm while adhering to public health advisories, insisting that Kenya’s preparedness systems were stronger than during previous regional outbreaks.

“We wish to assure the country that Kenya has significantly strengthened its preparedness systems over the years and remains better positioned to prevent importation, rapidly detect suspected cases, and respond effectively to any potential outbreak,” he said. Capital News

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

Kenya activates KNPHI-led Ebola response amid outbreaks in DRC, Uganda

Kenya activates KNPH...

Kenya has intensified Ebola preparedness measures through a KNPHI-led response framework following t...

Tanzania earmarks $109m for airline expansion

Tanzania earmarks $1...

By Princess Etuk The Tanzanian government has allocated $109m to support the expansion and operatio...

Togo joins Rwanda, Kenya in granting visa-free access to African citizens

Togo joins Rwanda, K...

By Obinna Ezugwu Togo has introduced a 30-day visa-free entry policy for citizens of all African cou...

Diplomatic Circuit [Bridge to Africa] Kenya launches Africa’s first university modelled on KAIST

Diplomatic Circuit [...

Kenyan President William Samoei Ruto (front row, fifth from left) and South Korean National Assembl...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.