Donation Amount. Min £4.99

This handout satellite image obtained courtesy of Maxar Technologies shows a view of of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) and the Blue Nile River on July 11, 2020 AFP

The GERD, situated on the Blue Nile River and set to be Africa's largest hydroelectric project when completed

Ethiopia said on Tuesday it rejected "unwelcome meddling" by the Arab League in a long-running dispute with Egypt and Sudan over a mega-dam on a tributary of the Nile River.

The statement from the foreign ministry came as Egypt  slammed renewed filling of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), and as the UN Security Council prepared to revisit the row tomorrow.

The Arab League announced last month it was backing Security Council intervention, despite Ethiopia's insistence that talks proceed under an ongoing process led by the African Union.

"Ethiopia rejects the unwelcome meddling by the League of Arab States on the matter of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) following the League's submission of a letter to the UN Security Council and UN General Assembly to intervene in the matter," Tuesday's Ethiopia foreign ministry statement said.

"The League of Arab States has a reputation for its unfettered and unconditional support to any claim Egypt has presented on the issue of the Nile."

Foreign Ninister Demeke Mekonnen conveyed this position in a letter of his own to the Security Council on Monday, the statement said.

File Photo: Ethiopia's Grand Renaissance Dam is seen as it undergoes construction work on the river Nile in Guba Woreda, Ethiopia on September 26, 2019 | Reuters

The GERD, situated on the Blue Nile River and set to be Africa's largest hydroelectric project when completed, has sparked an almost decade-long diplomatic stand-off between Addis Ababa and downstream nations Egypt and Sudan.

Ethiopia says the project is essential to its development, but Cairo and Khartoum fear it could crimp their water flow.

Both governments have been pushing Addis Ababa to ink a binding deal over the filling and operation of the dam.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's government, however, has insisted it will move ahead with reservoir-filling in the absence of a deal.

On Monday Egypt said Ethiopia had begun the second phase of filling the reservoir, a process expected to capture 13.5 billion cubic metres of water.

Egypt expressed its "firm rejection of this unilateral measure."

Abiy's office and Ethiopia's foreign ministry did not respond to requests for confirmation that second-phase filling had begun.

But a senior water ministry official told AFP it would be in line with the calendar Ethiopia has long said it would follow.

Ethiopia argues that adding water to the reservoir, especially during the heavy rainfalls of July and August, is a natural part of construction. DT

"Filling goes in tandem with the construction," said a senior official at the water ministry. "If the rainfall is as you see it now in July, it must have begun."

About IEA Media Ltd

Informer East Africa is a UK based diaspora Newspaper. It is a unique platform connecting East Africans at home and abroad through news dissemination. It is a forum to learn together, grow together and get entertained at the same time.

To advertise events or products, get in touch by info [at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447957636854.
If you have an issue or a story, get in touch with the editor through editor[at] informereastafrica [dot] com or call +447886544135.

We also accept donations from our supporters. Please click on "donate". Your donations will go along way in supporting the newspaper.

Get in touch

Our Offices

London, UK
+44 7886 544135
editor (@) informereastafrica.com
Slough, UK
+44 7957 636854
info (@) informereastafrica.com

Latest News

EU official presses DR Congo rebels to open humanitarian corridors

EU official presses...

Commissioner for Crisis Management held ‘frank and constructive’ talks in Goma with AFC/M23 leaders...

50 killed, women and children abducted in Nigeria terror attack

50 killed, women and...

The area has been plagued by bandit attacks, kidnappings, and killings, with thousands displaced.an...

‘We will not be silenced!’ Sifuna-led ODM team rallies supporters in Kakamega

‘We will not be sile...

Supporters of Linda Mwananchi faction of the ODM Party led by Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna at Amale...

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariff campaign

US Supreme Court str...

'The Framers did not vest any part of the taxing power in the Executive Branch,' Chief Justice John...

For Advertisement

Big Reach

Informer East Africa is one platform for all people. It is a platform where you find so many professionals under one umbrella serving the African communities together.

Very Flexible

We exist to inform you, hear from you and connect you with what is happening around you. We do this professionally and timely as we endeavour to capture all that you should never miss. Informer East Africa is simply news for right now and the future.

Quality News

We only bring to you news that is verified, checked and follows strict journalistic guidelines and standards. We believe in 1. Objective coverage, 2. Impartiality and 3. Fair play.

Banner & Video Ads

A banner & video advertisement from our sponsors will show up every once in a while. It keeps us and our writers coffee replenished.