General Thomas Cirilo Swaka with NAS flag behind him. Photo via Getty Images
JUBA – South Sudan’s holdout National Salvation Front (NAS) led by General Thomas Cirillo Swaka has refuted claims that it killed – in an ambush – at least four Ugandan citizens working as drivers along Juba-Yei road on Sunday.
Last week, four Ugandan drivers were shot dead by suspected members of National Salvation Front (NAS) led by Gen. Thomas Cirillo along Juba-Yei highway while heading to Juba for business.
The incident occurred on Sunday evening between Ganji, 65 kilometers south of the capital Juba, and Kullipa which is 58 kilometers away.
In a statement seen by Sudans post this morning, Suba Samuel Manase, the NAS spokesman refuted the claim and instead accused SSPDF of carrying out attacks on traders along Juba-Yei road.
“The citizens of Central Equatoria State in particular and South Sudan in general are living in agony because of atrocities being committed by the South Sudan People’s Defense Force and its allied militias,” Samuel said in the statement.
“The SSPDF and its allied militias have been repeatedly looting, burning houses, killing, raping women and displacing citizens from their villages. The latest examples were the killing of eight people in Kajo-Keji County and displacement in Otogo Payam, the home of the governor,” Samuel added.
Samuel condemned the Central Equatoria state government for describing NAS as terrorist organizations.
“NAS therefore, reject the allegation labelled against its forces on the causes of road ambushes between Juba-Yei roads as baseless and aimed at tarnishing the image of the movement,” he said. - Sudans Post